cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Sales Push

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I just got off the phone with a RV salesman who informed me that he was low on inventory, trailers were selling as they come in, prices were going up, etc. He said that factories were down for three months and they were way behind. Any truth to any of this, or just salesman push?

I am not desperate for a new trailer and can wait to save a couple of thousand.
22 REPLIES 22

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
People aren't flying so they say "Let's buy a RV!" Couple that with the plant shutdowns the manufacturers had, and you have a sellers market. Yeah, in a year or 2 the used market will be a glut.

My neighbor told me a friend of his bought a RV last year, toured the country with it, and just sold it for what he paid for it.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I saw on the news that trailer sales are up, but motorhome sales are down. And that the under 40 age group has become the main new buyers vs the older folks as in the past.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My local dealer has a lot full of RVs but most of them are larger. He can't keep anything under 25' in stock. He usually has a 5 to 10 in that size but is having a hard time getting them in right now and all of the arrivals are already sold.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dks
Explorer
Explorer
I think there will be a lot of used RV’s on the market next year. I suspect a lot of these buyers are buying them on a bit of a whim. On a normal cycle a lot of owners realize that RVing is not as idealistic as the videos purport and sell them after one or two seasons.

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
The used market is going to be getting on the road to being truly epic starting at the end of this summer & running thru the next couple of years....especially for those if ok with a Class C or even a Gasser A. Conversely, the new manufacture industry is going to be poised for big slump again when this hits.

The timing of all this is shaping up to be great for us. Our current coach will be hitting the 10yr old mark in 5 years, time for a new-to-us one at some point during that chunk of time.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I just got off the phone with a RV salesman who informed me that he was low on inventory, trailers were selling as they come in, prices were going up, etc. He said that factories were down for three months and they were way behind. Any truth to any of this, or just salesman push?

Yes, it's true. i read somewhere that RV sales were up 130%.
it's because people are looking at other ways to vacation, since air travel, hotels and cruise ships aren't appealing right now. so many have chosen to buy a RV. and it's showing up already in campgrounds, that are full up.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It is true. And true just about anywhere. If you are selling now is the time to get top dollar. Same holds true for new cars. Just now we are seeing new cars coming in. Our new inventory is very very low, we have over 700 new cars on order and ar waiting for them to start showing up.

If you are buying and want a good deal you won't find much if any right now!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:

Normally I would say sales tactic, but here in PA at least it is true. My in-laws just put a deposit on a trailer and a friend is looking for one. In-laws went to 3 dealers looking. Thought about it for 2 days and the 3 they had listed as favorites were already sold. Dealer had 3 of the same model all sold. They searched around and again very little they wanted. Seems the smaller trailers are going the fastest. Obviously there is inventory, it's just a matter of if it matches what you want.