cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Vinyl Wrap

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
In about a month, we hope to tour several manufacturers; including Alliance. I love so much about the Alliance Valor toy haulers except the graphics. Unless they've changed their full body paint, that is no better than their stock graphic package in my opinion. Basically, I just don't like them at all.

One crazy question I plan to ask them is if there is an option for me to order a toy hauler and have them leave their graphics package off entirely. My guess is they may not like the idea of not having their name plastered all over the sides but I dislike them enough, I won't buy that brand if it's my only option.

So now my question. Has anyone here ever done a vinyl wrap on their camper? A full wrap would obviously cover the entire graphics package on the camper but if the camper was left white, I could just do a custom striping package in a style I like. Not nearly as much cost I assume.

I see there are companies that offer this and I found one in my area. I plan to talk with them soon. But this just seems like an idea I'm surprised isn't more popular than it already is. It may be just too darned expensive but I'd love to look further into it.
23 REPLIES 23

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
The toy hauler we're contemplating is the Alliance Valor 42V13. I hate the new look. Straight lines and black wheels. But everything else about the camper is fantastic.

If they'll leave it just white, it will most likely be our pick.

We also are seriously considering the Jayco Seismic 4113. Regarding factory tours, it seems multiple models are made on the same line. At Jayco, the Pinnacles, North Points, Seismics, and Siesmic Luxury Editions are all made on the same line. You just have to pick the right week to tour if you want to see the brand of your choice. One brand per week.

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
FEMA trailers have no graphics. Maybe the manufacturers name, but no graphics...
2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
hotjag1 wrote:
I'd be curious to know the difference in price of a wrap vs paint on a new rig. In our case with the multiple colors and swirl designs, a paint job was going to be 50k vs the 10k for the wrap. We expect 7 to 8 years on the wrap before we need to do it again as we keep it under cover when not using it.

Paint will definitely last longer and just doing graphics is the most reasonably priced way to go. Looking forward to hearing which option the op decides to do.

If you are taking an old rig that requires a lot of heavy duty prep work and then you are painting the entire rig...not just graphics, that's a totally different animal. Realistically, most times it more than the rig is worth to do a full paint job.

But since the OP is talking about a new rig, assuming they didn't wax it or otherwise mess things up...should just be a quick clean and prep where the graphics are going, then paint.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston
lawnspecialties wrote:
It's definitely going to be awhile. Looks like we're not going to Elkhart until November. That will answer a lot of questions.

There's nothing like a pilgrimage to Elkhart. We did it a few years ago and it was so so worth it. We had some great work done back there that would have cost us a fortune back home.

It was kind of a funky day since we couldn't leave the dogs in the trailer like we would if we were sightseeing. We tried to hit a dog park, but we couldn't find any that were open to the public if you weren't a resident. It was going to cost us $35 just to play fetch.

We ended up stopping at a dive bar that was dog friendly and sat outside and had brunch & beers. I'd never had smelt before, and the basket of smelt was pretty cool. And then a few beers into the morning my phone rang and I had forgotten that I had a third interview with Facebook that morning. I turned down their offer because they were so rigid against remote working. The joke was on them when they had to shut down their office six months later for covid and I got a better gig elsewhere.

The RV hall of fame museum was sort of a let down. Cross that off the bucket list.

I'll be interested to see what you decide to do. Make sure to get some before & after photos.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
I'd be curious to know the difference in price of a wrap vs paint on a new rig. In our case with the multiple colors and swirl designs, a paint job was going to be 50k vs the 10k for the wrap. We expect 7 to 8 years on the wrap before we need to do it again as we keep it under cover when not using it.

Paint will definitely last longer and just doing graphics is the most reasonably priced way to go. Looking forward to hearing which option the op decides to do.

It's definitely going to be awhile. Looks like we're not going to Elkhart until November. That will answer a lot of questions.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JoeH wrote:
The wrap will last 5 years or so.... suggest you have it painted with the design and colors you want and then you have a permanent solution vs a temporary

Thjs...if you order it blank, you should be able to take it to a good marine shop that can do graphics in high end 2part paint that will be good for the life of the rig...for a lot less money as the prep work should be minimal for a new rig.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
lawnspecialties wrote:
JoeH wrote:
The wrap will last 5 years or so.... suggest you have it painted with the design and colors you want and then you have a permanent solution vs a temporary

That does concern me. My campers have stayed in the shade while at home. They're underneath a shelter with a 90% shade cloth. The only time they see sunlight is during trips.

Not sure how much difference that will make.

It will make roughly the same amount of difference as the % split between out of the sun/uv rays and exposed.
The wrap will last 100 years if itโ€™s tucked away in a dark hole, and maybe 5 years if youโ€™re lucky, sitting in full sun in FloRida 24/7.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:

That does concern me. My campers have stayed in the shade while at home. They're underneath a shelter with a 90% shade cloth. The only time they see sunlight is during trips.

Not sure how much difference that will make.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
We had the 40' Allegro Bus completely wrapped last April. Cost was $10k.
That included taking off the mirrors, wiper motor/arms, window awnings, etc and removing all the old caulk around all windows, door, and all seams. After the wrap is completed, they recaulk everything with clear caulk.

It made our 2003 coach look brand new and we got a fresh caulking job included on all seams, windows, door, and attached accessories.

Great story.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Went by the graphics shop I found via Google. I never knew of this place in the back of an industrial park but WOW, were they impressive. They were working on multiple projects and we got the full tour.

In the end, for me to get multiple designs with my guidance, have the camper washed and prepped, and then have the graphics installed was going to cost me approximately $8.50 per sq. ft. Roughly $9,000-$10,000. They use 3M products which come with a 5 year warranty.

I have another shop I plan to go to. But all this is just for me to learn so when we go to Elkhart, I can make a more informed decision before ordering with no graphics, their standard graphics, or full body paint.

Thanks for everyone's input.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had the 40' Allegro Bus completely wrapped last April. Cost was $10k.
That included taking off the mirrors, wiper motor/arms, window awnings, etc and removing all the old caulk around all windows, door, and all seams. After the wrap is completed, they recaulk everything with clear caulk.

It made our 2003 coach look brand new and we got a fresh caulking job included on all seams, windows, door, and attached accessories.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
yes it can be done, and yes itโ€™s the same as wrapping any other vehicle/surface. And yes itโ€™s a lot of money for something that doesnโ€™t last as long as paint, out in the elements.
And to stay on topic. I did wrap a camper, part of of one, once. Idk it was a pain and not that great.
Also there is a significant difference between vinyl wrap and vinyl decals. And it sounds like youโ€™re after decals possibly?

Nah man. Wrapping your Mystery Machine in tinfoil to avoid The Man doesn't count.

Come to think of it though, that would be an amazing wrap. I wonder how our 44' 5er would look with a good wrap. And would I have to start wearing an ascot to look like Fred?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230