cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVs parked on Los Angeles city streets risk getting towed

Community Alumni
Not applicable
People who park their RVs on the streets of L.A. are once again at risk of having them towed.

https://www.facebook.com/CBSLA/videos/10155587181490859/
24 REPLIES 24

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Sad

'Castaways' in motor homes feel stranded on society's fringe

Its not only poor but,
Even some well payed employed folk cant afford rents in Ca..
https://youtu.be/KG0_KiM9Mv8

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the heart of LA and park my RV on the street all the time. Sometimes for several days before and after long trips. There is no option in this congested city. I have never been towed or ticketed. But then again, my rig looks almost new and doesnโ€™t attract negative attention for any reason. I think officers can figure out the difference between a potential nuisance RV and a nice family getting ready for vacation.

This derelict RV issue is common now in many major cities as is the tricky rules surrounding street parking An RV. There is a thread above this one complaining about outrageous parking tickets for RVโ€™s in San Antonio for example.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they would do something in Austin come SXSW. If you don't have a "No Parking, Tow Away Zone" sign on your place, you just might come home to a dilapadated trailer in your driveway plugged in your water/power, and when you call the police, the first thing the people will say is that they don't have a tow vehicle, and are too drunk/stoned to drive.

Of course, after SXSW is over, it is a real mystery why so many storm drains around town smell of black water for days to weeks after.

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
The RVs which are being referred to in the media bear no resemblance to the RVs owned by participants in these forums.
LA is plagued with literally hundreds of these derelict hulks parked all over the city. They frequently are the source of drug dealing, prostitution, and general squalor. Oftentimes, piles of junk surround them on the sidewalks, making them impassable for pedestrians.
Then there is the problem of sewage disposal: The storm drains and other public areas are utilized by some.
I like the Santa Barbara solution, referred to above, which results in designated areas away from residences and retail locations being used as overnight parking areas.
I feel for these residential owners who have to put up with this squalor in front of their homes.

Community Alumni
Not applicable

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Another news report on homeless RVers in the Los Angeles area.

Chatsworth Residents, Business Owners Want Homeless Staying In RVs To Scram

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
It seems a little funny that a citizen can afford to paint the curb red for very little and in secrete but my ex-employer(I'm retired from LADOT)has to spend thousands of dollars to paint over with grey.

The Mayor's graffiti crew can do it with paint the city gets free(they recycle paint they get from hazardous waste disposal events) and the graffiti crews are volunteers.

In fact, I'll bet the guy shown painting the curb grey, if he is a City employee just might get a call from Cal-OSHA. No cones, hardhat, shadow vehicle and NO respirator. The equipment is not standard equipment for the traffic painters, I'd bet it was purchased by the City with Grant Money from the Feds just for that purpose.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

MrWizard
tens of thouands of dollars to spray some gray paint over the red paint
no wonder city and 'all' government budgets are messed up

to repaint a 1/2 mile of curb

the offical who said that to the reporter, should be sitting in the Hot Seat
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Here's another news video about what some people are doing to keep homeless RVers from parking in their neighborhood.

Is Illegal Curb Painting In Chatsworth A Response To The Homeless Crisis?

https://www.facebook.com/CBSLA/videos/10155605525180859/

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
One of our past council members, had a grudge against RVs in general, not just parked too long on the street or driving down the highway, didn't matter. Her attitude was, Not in MY City, so don't even drive through. So you will find a mish mash of RV parking restrictions in the City of Los Angeles. In her councilmatic district, you had to go to the local PD Precinct and get a permit to park to load and unload you rig at your house. She moved to have that adopted city wide and the PD, RVers and the rest of the Council voted it down.

The City of Santa Barbara does not have an overnight park and sleep problem like many places. They have a pretty strict rule about park and sleep but they also have found places for those who call their RV a Home instead of a Recreation Vehicle to park at night. They utilize public, church and business parking lots on off hours, no on street parking for sleeping. There are rules about litter and dumping and they are very strictly enforced. Litter or dump illegally and you're banished. Many of the homeless full timers really live there and have jobs, not typical but they do drive their RVs to different locations during the day, usually where they work.

In L.A., the mayor sets the tone but has very little power to change anything and our current mayor does not want anything temporary in his city. The touchy feely folks back him regarding homelessness, but it ain't working. We need to do more of what Santa Barbara does and accept that there are homeless and our general climate is nicer for sleeping in underpasses, etc. they aren't going to stop coming here.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox and when I read the OP, I thought oh boy another bash L.A. thread but you guys treated this very well and did not bash or criticize much at all, Thank You.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
No Sunny Southern California or HOA's for me, I like freedom too much.

X2

I honestly don't care if my neighbors don't like looking at my rv. I don't like aspects of their lives either.

It's good we can come here and complain about each others lifestyle choices.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
No Sunny Southern California or HOA's for me, I like freedom too much.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Oh jeeze
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
... On the other hand, I have zero sympathy for RV owners that get their RVs ticketed or towed away for parking on city streets because they are too cheap to pay for storage. Believe it or not, your $500K rig that looks like a beauty to you may look like a monster eyesore to your neighbors. Not everyone is into RVs so please be considerate of others that don't share your passion.

X2
I 'am' an RV'er and I don't want to be subjected to that either!

IF I lived in a sub division I would not want to look out my window everyday at a bus parked out front, irregardless how much it cost or how it was painted with full body paint.

That is why some people move into HOA controlled sub divisions.

I own a house in Florida in a rural unincorporated subdivision where lots are 1 ac plus, RV's allowed. Searched long and hard to find property that would allow my MH.

Interestingly ALL property owners that own RV's and park it on their property make a point to park their RV's out of sight of other neighbors. It's called being considerate and keeping the neighborhood looking nice.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.