cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen door aggrivation

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a solution to the issue where you open your RV door and the screen stays closed because that little clip that holds the screen door to the main door gets loose?

Talking about the item on the left in this picture.

I tried to epoxy the little clip to the main door so it wouldn't bend out, but it comes loose after a week or so.
8 REPLIES 8

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem and found that angling that clip fixed the problem. You have to find the "sweet spot" of the angle but it solved my problem.
Esacnj

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Had it happen to me. I just pulled the two screws and put them about 1/4 inch lower in the door. There is enough play in the screw slot to make this happen.

I did consider that, but I figured I would have the same problem again in a year. I will try the magnets, thanks all.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Had it happen to me. I just pulled the two screws and put them about 1/4 inch lower in the door. There is enough play in the screw slot to make this happen.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

TCBear
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't repair or directly replace the factory catch, you might he able to replace it with an aftermarket friction catch, roller catch, magnetic catch, or bullet catch. You can drop those terms into a Google Images search.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm....Over course of over 20 years of RVing, and owning a total of 5 different RVs in that time that all had the same basic door mechanism you describe here....Have never had this particular issue. Have had other issues with that latch, and am constantly adjusting it, but never had the latch/hook pull away from the main door.

I would try screwing it in with larger screws, if you can. Failing that.....Not sure, maybe drill all the way through the door, use a screw with a nut and washer? I know that'd look ugly cause then you'd have a screw head showing on outside that you'd have to seal up with some kind of sealant. Not sure what other choice you'd have, unless maybe you could use a rivet gun and rivet it to just the inner side of the main door?
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
blaczero wrote:
My problem is the screws holding this to the door are stripping. Tried epoxy, no joy.

You could try a toggle bolt or drywall anchor in the existing holes, but I am not sure the door is thick enough. Or, you could try a thin piece of aluminum or even plastic that's larger than the footprint of the screen door handle. Attach the handle to it as a new base, and then attach the larger base to the door. Since the new handle "base" is larger, you can drill fresh holes.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
My problem is the screws holding this to the door are stripping. Tried epoxy, no joy.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Had this issue on my MH this past weekend. You can adjust the mounting plate for the screen door handle up or down and tightens up the engagement to the main door to allow it to stay connected.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS