cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Short Term Freezing Weather Tips?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm in the Rio Grande Valley (South Texas) and we are forecast for about 2 days of freezing temps Monday and Tuesday. The low right now is expected to be around 26 degrees. We are in a motor home with no skirting outside. I will keep the house temp at least 70 degrees through the night and I plan to keep the cabinets open and drip the faucets. Am I safe from frozen pipes or do I need to shut off the water and drain the pipes during the nights? Have you actually been camping through similar temps?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So did you survive?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
cross21114 wrote:
down home wrote:
Be sure your propane tanks are full.

With what we've seen in Texas on the Weather Channel I would not drive my rig out to fill up with propane. If you have an extended stay valve on your rig, and have a safe way to get some propane, get some 20# tanks and use them. You could get 2 days per tank used sparingly.

Actually my Winnebago Intent has 2 20 pound tanks that are removable. I took one over to fill it today. I'm helping them with 2 electric heaters. Tonight is a freeze and then we have a couple of days above freezing; then one more night of freezing temps followed by 70s. I'm ready for those 70s.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Be sure your propane tanks are full.

With what we've seen in Texas on the Weather Channel I would not drive my rig out to fill up with propane. If you have an extended stay valve on your rig, and have a safe way to get some propane, get some 20# tanks and use them. You could get 2 days per tank used sparingly.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
OK. Thanks.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks again for the tips. One last question as the temps drop to freezing here in "Almost Mexico". I was going to leave the faucets dripping tonight, but I disconnected from the water main and drained my hose. My fresh water tank is full, but if I leave the faucets dripping it may use all the water overnight. Is it important to leave the faucets dripping?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most any RV is good to about 25F while in use with no special precautions.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for these good tips.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked at the forecast. Fill your fresh water tank and disconnect al hoses, as per others. Your furnaces will be running as the heat pumps won't handle that much cold. Be sure your propane tanks are full. The furnaces should keep the bays from freezing but still I wold put a drop cord and 100 watt bulb in the wet bay,where it won't melt any plastics etc
it may be a few days of subfreezing weather so you night want to get a heat tape for the water faucet itself, and a heated water hose. You won't be driving out of the cold it is all around you.
This would be advice for our old MH but if a new all electric I'm not sure. There should be some provision to keep bays warm and you may even have a wet bay heater.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are also in TX south of Austin a couple hours. Supposed to get down to 7-8 degrees here and daytime highs are still below freezing. Water froze overnight 2 nights ago, then thawed during the day. It was disconnected and we run off the tank/pump. Furnace set at 60 at night. We shouldn't have a problem, but 19 is the lowest we have been at before with daytime above freezing. Looking at 3 days freezing or below here now. Can't wait for sunshine !!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If itโ€™s getting above freezing during the day, which you stated it will be, then donโ€™t worry about anything except your water hose freezing. Turn off your city water source so it can drain back.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
If you will have full hookups or where you can discharge grey water, let the kitchen faucet run a small stream which will keep the water and drainline from freezing. Weโ€™ve done that many times down to 14 degrees. An electric heater will assist the furnace keeping the belly area warm or just put a 40 watt light in the belly. Should be fine down to high 20โ€™s.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DallasSteve wrote:
I'm in the Rio Grande Valley (South Texas) and we are forecast for about 2 days of freezing temps Monday and Tuesday. The low right now is expected to be around 26 degrees. We are in a motor home with no skirting outside. I will keep the house temp at least 70 degrees through the night and I plan to keep the cabinets open and drip the faucets. Am I safe from frozen pipes or do I need to shut off the water and drain the pipes during the nights? Have you actually been camping through similar temps?

Well for someone that is use to camping above freezing the world doesnโ€™t end a 32 degrees. We go down to mid 20โ€™s high teens with an insulated heated water hose and running the furnace to heat the belly.
In your case fill water tank, and disconnect water hose, keep furnace over night. Our furnace is either gas or electric and run electric most of the time. It is currently 33 degrees outside, and our basement at the outside wall is 50 degrees.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks bgum. I plan to do most of that.