cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shureflow water pump fix...?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure if this may have been discussed in the past: I just de-winterized my truck camper this evening and noticed a very slight leak at the water pump. I have not used the camper and the last time I did this chore was 3 summers ago.

When I de-winterize, I generally will check all plumbing connections and tighten all the flair-it fittings to insure good connections. This time at the pump itself there was a very slight leak, more than just a drip- definitely noticeable but not gushing and tightening the in/out fittings did not solve the problem.

As I stated to un-mount the pump I decided to just tighten the screws that mount the motor to the pump housing case as it appeared this is where the dripping was coming from. For grins I remounted it to see if there would be an improvement... AND there was!

I will still keep a close eye on it over the next few days, but is this a common problem fixed in this fashion? I can envision how, over the years, that pump vibrations could loosen the fasteners such that a leak could develop. I hope that all it was is this simple repair.

Thought? comments?
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
4 REPLIES 4

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
The theory of the gasket drying out due to 3 years of non-use is logical, but when I winterize, I use the RV anti-freeze instead of blowing out the lines. I fully run a gallon of the stuff through and let it sit in the lines.

Is not there a certain amount of lubricity of the RVAF that might offset the potential of the gasket drying out? Obviously, it is a water based liquid, but it feels slippery to the touch.

I am hoping that the gasket is somewhat still pliable and the re-tightening of it is a cure for a little more than just this summer.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand it is common for the seals in old pumps to start leaking. It happened with mine. I vaguely thought about getting a rebuild kit. Instead for less than $100 and 15 minutes of work, I replaced the pump. Hopefully the new one will last another 10 years.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
OP, if the pump sat for 3 years the gasket might have dried out enough it started to leak. Tightening it may have bought some time. You should consider getting a rebuild kit to keep on hand in case it starts leaking again.

I had a Surflo that was starting to drip at the same place. It was going to need the gasket replaced and you can't buy them separately. Instead of ordering a rebuild kit I needed a working pump immediately so I replaced it with a Surflo Revolution which is quieter. I saved the old pump to rebuild as a spare, but haven't done anything with it yet.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar situation with a '94 Bounder Shurflow water pump. A couple of the case screws were showing signs of rusting so I took the entire thing apart, cleaned it all out, and there was some crud here and there, but not too bad. Used Vaseline to lube the odd shaped rubber gasket they used around the pump, sort of a cloverleaf style gasket I knew wouldn't be something I'd find at Home Depot so I was really careful cleaning it.

Put it all back together with new SS screws and all was well. No more leak. Still working with no leak 4 years later when I sold the RV.

Here's a link to my blog post about it: Water Pump Repair
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.