cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Side work while in camp

Tolting_Zaa
Explorer
Explorer
General question about some of my ideas.

I have always been a tinkerer and tend to less time figuring out how-to do something and associated forums than others spend watching TV.

I have some ideas of things I could do for and with the RV community while deferring some of my SiteFees.

I am not looking to repair vehicles or such, just offering something special and different.

Lets just say I would be shining shoes and fixing/making leather items. (just an example...not what I am thinking of doing)

Does anybody here do some sort of service/sales in RV parks now?
What should I know, do or avoid when doing my own 'service/sales'??

I know WHAT I am going to do (Sales+Service)...I am seeking advice as to how to go about doing it and what others real experience is.

Thanks@
8 REPLIES 8

debw241
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on WHERE you are, WHAT you are offering, and the particular park.

Some of us full-timers need things when we are at a park (even if it a park where people only visit for short periods of time).

Fix up a great folder showing what you offer or flyers. Have business cards -- personally get out to all the campgrounds in your area to introduce yourself etc. Then follow up with emails.

This is very common in many of the parks we go to -- propane dealers deliver, mobile washes, mobile pet groomers, mobile repair etc. Perhaps contact them to find out about how they are insured, receive pmt.

We provide services and take cash, check, and PayPal. My main website with a PayPal button for payment (no charge). Products are ordered thru different site that takes credit cards.

Hope this helps.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
One type of work that may be allowable in some campgrounds/parks is detailing RVs. I've been to several parks in Florida over the winter and private detailers often have business cards posted in the park's clubhouse. Park operators usually allow this activity. I've never used this service so I'm not sure what they charge. I'm sure you'd have to get the blessing of the park operators though.

Of course you'd have to have the tools, be good at it, and have wanting customers. Not sure you'd make a lot of money at it working by yourself.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
If you really need to up your income, I would recommend actual workamping jobs or even just a temporary job in the area.
Jayco-noslide

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that sort of thing is more acceptable at a rally than in a CG. Good Sam, FMCA, etc all have multiple rallies that attract thousands of folks, not to mention all of the RV shows. I think folks would be more receptive to your pitch (whatever it is) in that type of a setting vs being solicited in a CG.

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
How are you going to guarantee your work? Lets just say I hit a low branch and tore my roof.....you come by and "repair" it - I leave the campground and it rains and the repair goes bad......I go back to the campground I was at and you are not around!!!!

Also how about payment, will this be a legit business, charging necessary sales tax (if applicable) etc? how will you accept payment? We travel with very little cash, do you plan on accepting credit cards? Yes I know it has become very easy to do so BUT just throwing out thoughts for you to ponder!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Campgrounds may not allow it. I beleive I also read somewhere that it cant be done on blm land. I think I was reading about Quartzite or something and noticed something about not being able to preform services. I'm just mentioning it before you get started so research the issue before setting out.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Campgrounds will probably have rules regarding doing pay work in the campground.

We are weekenders, and probably wouldn't be interested in having any "work" done while camping - we are off exploring during the day, and want to relax at night. Campgrounds with seasonals might be a better place to think about.

L2R
Explorer
Explorer
So long as you keep it a secret, it is going to be hard to get feedback or make any money at it. If you do it and it is a good idea, no doubt others will copy it. It is inevitable.

The idea is to be good at it and if you are first, then you have a head start.

Suggest you try it out on a small scale and see if it works. Test marketing is really the only way to know if you can make it work.
Just checked our bank account, we can retire today if I stop spending money now.