cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out awning?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone added an awning above their slide out, not slide topper. The sun beats on our windows and makes it very difficult for our AC to keep up.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
7 REPLIES 7

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
While the slide topper may help, the windows really are the magnifying glass that cooks the ant.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our fifth wheel is only 31 feet long and the awning covers a good portion of the side, including the entire dinette slide. It doesn't touch the slide when extending it and in the hot sun does help keep the heat at bay.
JK

On edit, I'll add that on a breezy hot day I'll partially extend it to cover the slide but not totally expose the awning to the wind.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Slide toppers are much better supported as they attach to the structure both at the main wall and on the wall of the slide out.

A standard awning is a cantilever structure and not nearly as strong. If you go thru an RV park after a strong wind storm, you will often see awnings ripped off of trailers. It's far more rare to see slide toppers damaged.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
Thanks Rob, Iโ€™m thinking full awning like you see from the entry door to the forward window in my signature pic.

An awning installed over the slide would risk chafing where the awning would contact the top outer edge of the slide during a breeze, etc. Our fiver came with a second awning installed on the slide over the large windows in that slide. Since it's mounted on the slide, it moves in and out with the slide and does not contact anything that would chafe it. All the slides have toppers on them, too, which make a big difference. You can go to the Grand Design web site and look at the awnings they're putting on the new Solitudes to see what I'm talking about.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you donโ€™t already have slide out toppers, they would help greatly with slide out heat gain. If you doubt, put your hand on the slideout ceiling and feel the heat.
To your question you wan an awning mounted to the trailer to cover the slideout and shad the windows? Depending on the depth of the slides might be hard to open.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Rob, Iโ€™m thinking full awning like you see from the entry door to the forward window in my signature pic.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you may be talking about window awnings. I've seen quite a few - mostly on motorhomes and older fifth wheels. Is this what you're thinking about:

Window awning

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015