cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solar update

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
for all interested the cheapy (150 Canadian bucks) 100 watt solar setup I got a while back did exactly as advertised and kept my house battery topped up for its long weekend test run. was still plenty strong when it was time to leave with running the water pump, co detector and fridge controller as well as minimal lights while there and the tongue jack to leave.

don't have to spend a fortune. will I boondock forever with this no.
did it extend my range significantly. yup and it cost me next to nothing. I may grab another if they are still there next time I am.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
13 REPLIES 13

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update. Solar and RVing are like peanut butter and jelly. They just are made for each other. One big benefit if you have a charge controller that will float charge, is that your batteries will always be charged when you decide to move from the storage location.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
strange, the forum is saying 3 replies but I see none. testing to reset.

This happens to me often. This forum software is on its last legs. Someone is going to need to invest in a big upgrade unless they dump all of the historical posts and start fresh (which would be crazy).

I can see them now. strange things from the 1's and 0's department

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
185EZ wrote:
I was hoping for more technical replies to solar instead of forum software

Grab yourself a 200 watt system such as this and you will be good to go.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping for more technical replies to solar instead of forum software

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:

This happens to me often. This forum software is on its last legs. Someone is going to need to invest in a big upgrade unless they dump all of the historical posts and start fresh (which would be crazy).
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
wouldn't go less. 200 would be better (or at least a better charge controller so you can add another 100 watt later but for what I paid im happy especially since all the connectors and cables happened to follow me home

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
Keep talking.
I have the small factory solar panel that doesn't do anything.
Just looking for a panel to help out on weekend boondocking.
Is 100 watt the minimum?
It doesn't have to fully charge the two 6 volt batteries but just give them a boost during the day to make it through a night

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
no coleman from Costco. 100 watt panel with a basic 8.5A charge controller and a little inverter that has been repurposed for the wife's explorer doing mini van duties. $150 Canadian. Nothing fancy and the controller is limited but I made a 15' cable and some quick connects, housed the controller at the panel in a plastic box and now I have a portable 100w panel that can follow the sun since we typically camp in shady areas. did its job as advertised.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Is yours the 100W NOMA solar kit from Canadian Tire?
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Solar is cool! I like it a lot.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Welcome to the world of solar. Doesn't cost a fortune or require an electrical engineering degree to get some real benefit.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
WindayNation 100 watt panels are $99.00 US and not cheaply made.

https://www.windynation.com/Polycrystalline-Solar-Panels/Windy-Nation-Inc/100-Watt-12-Volt-Polycrystalline-Photovoltaic-Solar-Panel-Off-Grid-RV-Boat/-/317?p=YzE9NDU=
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad