cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting to look for our next unit

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
We sold the Jayco at the start of the summer due to not using it.(Too big for the state parks we like nearby and now only the two of us).

I am not wanting to bash rubber roofs, some like them, however my three previous units had aluminum and I preferred it over the rubber.

Can anyone provide the manufacturers and brand names that still use aluminum roofs?

I do plan to keep the next one many years and would prefer not to worry about the issues that rubber roofs have.

I wish one could still get a Fleetwood Terry made with the quality they were in the late 80's. We had a 1988 and it was probably the best built out of the last 4. Aluminum siding, aluminum roof, very heavy but everything in it was good quality and was all original at 21 years old other than the furnace when I sold it.
With a fresh wax job it still looked new.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab
11 REPLIES 11

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
2dogtravellin wrote:
2+ on the Lazy Daze. The only problem is that the used ones can be tough to find and right now I think the wait for a new one is close to 1 1/2 years. In my mind it's worth it. We have a 2014 24 ft that I hope to own forever.

Nice to know I'm not alone in a "patience is a virtue" kind of way:B.

2dogtravellin
Explorer
Explorer
2+ on the Lazy Daze. The only problem is that the used ones can be tough to find and right now I think the wait for a new one is close to 1 1/2 years. In my mind it's worth it. We have a 2014 24 ft that I hope to own forever.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Acrylic(?) and/or metal clad roof depending on what model you get:

Safari Condo

NOT inexpensive but holds it's resale value better than most RVs. Nice space for empty nesters but not a larger family. We will include our DGD in our RV plans from time to time but she will not be a regular traveler so it works well on that level.

Can't say from owning one (though I did rent one for a week and wuvved it!) but current owners rave about how well it's made, space efficiency; bright/airy.

I ordered one this spring and it's due to be delivered in uhmmmmmmm.....1.5 years:B;).

You can find them for sale occasionally on Canada's version of Craig's List which starts w/ a "k".

HTH

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Drew,

I have been hoping for an affordable Airstream as well. I have a good friend that full-timed in one he bought a 1973 model that he got in 1996 and used it until 2012. It has never leaked and still has all of the original appliances.
He bought it for 3700.00 and pretty much just kept it maintained as far as washing and polishing and it still is functional and ready to use.

I too am hoping for a deal on one like this myself.
Chris & Dianne
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nobody's mentioned airstream as yet. They, of course, do still use an aluminum roof (well, as much as you can separate the "roof" from the "body").

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies.
Chris & Dianne
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago have fiberglass roofs, or whatever its called. At least mine does. It's a 2007, 30 foot Visit.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1969 Shasta and a 1977 Prowler .They had aluminum roofs and we never had a leak or any issues.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
May well be too small for you as it is for most, but our Escape FW doesn't have a rubber roof, not metal either.

Escape FW
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
If you consider a Class C RV, then consider a Lazy Daze. Aircraft aluminum body and roof. They make a 24, 27, and 30 foot models. Good Luck with your search.

BTW, the Hershey RV show starts in a couple of weeks. It is billed as the largest RV show in the country. If you want a good idea of what is out there, it could be worth a visit.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ummm...NONE?

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS