cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stopping interference to backup display

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I have an ad-on backup camera to my Explorer. After realizing that the standard backup lights are not adequate, I changed them out to, much brighter LED's. Problem is that they cause picture distortion on my display, which is wired into my left backup light.

Anyone who is in the know about these matters, think a capacitor across the pos and neg wires will help clear up the display?
9 REPLIES 9

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to post it in technical section to find people with better education on the subject, but from what I experienced LED lights send pulses (not visible to human eye) and digital cameras don't like it.
Had it several times at scales, where I took picture of LED display, only to find it blank on the picture.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I soldered a 0.05 microFarad capacitor across the positive and negative wires to the LED bulb and the problem seems to have been resolved.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Some LEDs cause interference with radio signals. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why my garage door remote on the stix and brix wouldn't work at night. Finally realized the problem started when I installed some LED yard lights. Turned off the yard lights and remote works fine. You may be getting RF interference in your backup display. You might try different LED bulbs or go back to incandescents. JMHO.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Not wireless. Pulls power from the left BU light wiring.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a wireless system? If so, try relocating or using a separate antenna that can be located away from the bulb. If that's not possible or it's a wired system, make sure you are using "EMC compliant" bulbs and not any standard automotive LED bulb.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
What you're talking about seems to require a lot of additional wiring. Understand, I am talking about backup lights. The add-on backup camera and display only work when the car is in reverse. I get herringboning in the display. You don't think a simple filter capacitor soldered across the wires to the bulb will do the trick?

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
You can pick up a relay and socket from All Electronics and wire it up like this. Battery to fuse to relay (pin 30). Relay pin 87 to camera and monitor power. Relay pin 86 to plus side of reverse light. Relay pin 85 to ground. This way you can use the LED lights (I did mine this way).

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
The display gets power directly from the reverse light. I checked all connections. I'm pretty sure the interference comes from the replacement LED lights that replaced the, original, incandescent bulbs. I went back to the incandescent bulb and the problem disappeared. I am set on using the LED lights, which are much brighter, but need to find a way to filter out the interference. That's why I'm asking if anyone who's familiar with LED's would advise a capacitor across the pos and neg.

I really miss the Radio Shacks.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Loose connection or bad ground. I wired my camera and monitor through a relay that is triggered by the back up light.