cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stud Finders

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have aluminum studs and want to attach a TV bracket. Any ideas on which brand would be best with density?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
20 REPLIES 20

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
caver wrote:
Project Farm just evaluated a bunch of stud finders.

I saw that and actually posted a comment there about aluminum studs and RV walls.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Project Farm just evaluated a bunch of stud finders.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Aluminum screws, hmmm.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Regarding using a magnet to find the fasteners. Aluminum studs one should use aluminum screws (NOTE THE KEY WORD SHOULD, Does not mean they do)

And I'm glad I added the ***THINK*** to the wal-bot )

When I was looking for it I found several competing products

It is STEEL sheet metal you are looking for. A simple magnet will work, the OP has not mentioned if he tried it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regarding using a magnet to find the fasteners. Aluminum studs one should use aluminum screws (NOTE THE KEY WORD SHOULD, Does not mean they do)

And I'm glad I added the ***THINK*** to the wal-bot )

When I was looking for it I found several competing products
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I'm a stud will it find me ????

(Sorry, I know this post was not helpful to the thread but, I've always wanted to say that.)

Yeah, was gonna say...All I do is look in a mirror. Works every time!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a stud will it find me ????

(Sorry, I know this post was not helpful to the thread but, I've always wanted to say that.)

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I recall a device and I ***THINK*** it is the device IU will provide a link to that was advertised on TV a while back that could see through walls. It could not only detect wood/metal studs but things like rats and mice

https://walabot.com/see-through-walls

I looked up this device on Amazon. It appears it will only work with Android phones.

It also has a 11 percent one star rating.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recall a device and I ***THINK*** it is the device IU will provide a link to that was advertised on TV a while back that could see through walls. It could not only detect wood/metal studs but things like rats and mice

https://walabot.com/see-through-walls
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Aluminum framed trailers may have as few as three studs over the entire length of the side. The wall may have steel sheet metal just under the paneling for attaching a TV and it can be found with a strong magnet. A stud finder for wooden studs will be pretty much useless. If you had a sticker showing the TV mount location then go by that, if you want an alternate location, good luck. Contact the manufacturer if in doubt.

That's the problem Lynnmor, there is a sticker and I've talked with three different people that used the sticker for guidance on the exact same RV that I have and the sticker had been placed in the wrong spot. I'm not drilling pilot holes only to learn some flunkie put the sticker in the wrong place.

Did you try the magnet? If you find a square of sheet metal, then fasten the mount with sheet metal screws. Folks drill and think there is nothing in there but the drill goes thru the sheet metal quickly. Then there are those that use wood screws that destroy the pilot hole. Use #8 or #10 screws that will enter the wall about 1/2" using a pilot hole the root diameter of the screw.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Donut shaped neodymium magnet on a string. It finds the fasteners.

Home depot has them in the hardware section.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
This always works for me.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Knock knock.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Aluminum framed trailers may have as few as three studs over the entire length of the side. The wall may have steel sheet metal just under the paneling for attaching a TV and it can be found with a strong magnet. A stud finder for wooden studs will be pretty much useless. If you had a sticker showing the TV mount location then go by that, if you want an alternate location, good luck. Contact the manufacturer if in doubt.

That's the problem Lynnmor, there is a sticker and I've talked with three different people that used the sticker for guidance on the exact same RV that I have and the sticker had been placed in the wrong spot. I'm not drilling pilot holes only to learn some flunkie put the sticker in the wrong place.