cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

suspected fresh or gray tank leak, remove or cut underbelly?

Caryite
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of debugging a suspected leak in the fresh or gray tank in my 30' travel trailer.

I've got the pump on and haven't seen any leaks. I've filled the lines with city water and no issues of a leak either. The pump from the fresh tank isn't cycling either.

I've since put red food coloring in the gray tank and blue food coloring in the fresh tank. I've only seen the leak after moving the TT, so there's a chance the leak is at the top of either tank. I plan on moving the TT tomorrow, so I'll see what color comes out then.

Once I figure out the source, does anyone recommend either removing the underbelly screws or cutting the underbelly around the (guessing) tank locations? If there are good online threads or videos showing how to remove the cheap cardboard type underbelly, let me know because I have yet to find much on this topic online or here.

TIA, let me know if any questions. I'd like to try to address this myself with over a month wait at my local RV repair place to have it looked at there (should I not figure this out on my own first).
3 REPLIES 3

Caryite
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both for the replies. I think MFL is correct in my recent trip last weekend in the rain caused the temporary intrusion from the road/wet driving.

A sunny day today with all 3 tanks full of water, and a short trip around town has shown no signs of water leaking at all. I've run the pump and moved the camper to the point none of the low points are showing any sign of moisture.

I will continue to monitor on my next trip, but for now, I don't plan to do anything more.

Thanks for the help, will continue to update here. Fingers crossed and hopeful!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I've always removed, but it admittedly is a pain in the butt.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have towed in the rain recently, that can get in the slightest opening in the coroplast, and appear to be a leak. It is a big job to remove all the coroplast, but cutting a three sided window, in a suspect area is easy to repair.

Jerry