Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Technician assistance for purchase of used DP

Leavin2014
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,
We are new to the club and forum activities...is it appropriate to ask for help finding a Master Motor Home Tech for my area? We are preparing to buy and would like hands on tech help. Are there "surveyors" for motor homes, as with larger boats? How do I go about locating a local person to contract to check out a potential product?

Thanks
Kevin and Leah Penner
Farmington Mi.
4 REPLIES 4

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
I would try to find a reputable RV service center. I say try as there is only one of the five in my area that has a good reputation. Their people are most likely to know about likely problem areas and how to do any diagnostics.

I would also look for a diesel shop to check out the engine and drivetrain as no one person is going to be an expert on RV appliances and systems and also on engine and other mechanical aspects.

Don't forget to evaluate the inverter, batteries, and tires, as these are expensive to replace.

hanzfranz60
Explorer
Explorer
You may give RV Inspection Connection a call at 800-628-1455 and speak with Stephanie or Robyn. We are a nationwide certified RV Inspection service. Tell them Howard Jaros caught your post on this thread. If you want internet info first, you may go to usedrvinspection.com (my page) for information on how we can help with your RV purchase! If you want to speak with me you may access that information from my website. Happy RV Hunting!

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leavin2014 wrote:
Hi folks,
We are new to the club and forum activities...is it appropriate to ask for help finding a Master Motor Home Tech for my area? We are preparing to buy and would like hands on tech help. Are there "surveyors" for motor homes, as with larger boats? How do I go about locating a local person to contract to check out a potential product?

Thanks
Kevin and Leah Penner
Farmington Mi.

There is a professional group of inspectors BUT there is no oversight of the group so we do not know if it is just a name or has standards.
I feel your best bet is to find a INDEPENDENT diesel repair shop and have them check out the DP you plan to buy. You can also use the manufacturer of the motor authorized repair but I prefer independent shops. Have the shop check out the engine, powertrain, chassis brakes etc. Pay them for their time and expertise. You will be establishing a many year relationship with them and they should give you a good indication IN WRITING of the mechanics. For the livability features those are pretty standard fro rig to rig so find a good mobile mechanic in your area to come in and inspect for you. Again if the guy is good you will be establishing a long term relationship.

This site may help you find a good person or at least steer you away from the duds.
Just for fun I looked near your location and found Excalibur truck Off of Ford Road & Dix in Westland. I do not how close to you that is but it Might be worth stopping by and talking to them about what you need/want. If they cannot help maybe they will steer you in a good direction
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Moved from Forum Technical Support