cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Terrain, Equinox, Envoy, Traverse

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Contemplating a MH and a puddle jumper for the boss. Just your take on these vehicles for towing behind a MH. Thanks in advance, Jeff
8 REPLIES 8

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
Contemplating a MH and a puddle jumper for the boss. Just your take on these vehicles for towing behind a MH. Thanks in advance, Jeff

Jeff, Last year, my wife inherited her mothers 4-cylinder, 2011 Chev Equinox with only 12,000 miles on it. Truly a "little old lady on Sunday" car.

I installed a Roadmaster base plate in a couple of hours. We now tow it behind our class C.

We pull out fuse 32 and put it in neutral and go. We've pulled it about 10,000 trouble free miles.

Tim

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
i will add one more thing to the equation. Jeep Grand Cherokee? My understanding is the early 2000 units have had a lot of electrical issues. thanks

Escapade
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2018 Chevy Equinox 1.5 Litre FWD. It is a good tow vehicle. To the best of my understanding the 2.0 litre 9-speed is not towable. Read very carefully on this. DO NOT take the word of any salesman unless it is in writing. The 1.6 litre is towable as it has the six speed transmission like the 1.5. The AWD is towable in the 1.5 or 1.6 diesel with the six speed transmission.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I am looking at an Envoy right now and it appears to have what i need as far as towing. Thanks. other experience and issues anyone has had and would like to share would be greatly appreciated as I most likely wont' make the final decision until the weekend. Have a Great Day ! ! !

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
I am also looking and find it confusing when the Equinox with the two larger engines is tow-able and the GMC Terrain with the same two engines is not tow-able. I am also looking at the Jeep Cherokee, but you have to have the Active Drive II 4x4 System and that is not available in all versions. Some you can get the V-6 with the Active Drive II 4x4 System and others you have to order the new 2.0L Turbo engine. The Buick Envision is also tow-able, so I have to give it some thought also. According to Chevrolet the 1.5L is not tow-able.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new Equinox for DW instead of the Traverse. I liked the Traverse but when DH found out it was the same length as my Tahoe (204 inches), she said Equinox.

And the MH Guide says: "In last yearโ€™s dinghy guide, we detailed all we knew about the upcoming 2018 Chevrolet Equinox, but it was too early to find out if it was towable. Well, weโ€™re happy to announce that it is โ€” in two- and all-wheel-drive con?gurations. The new Equinox offers an all-turbocharged four-cylinder engine lineup: a base 1.5-liter, an available 2.0-liter, and for the first time ever, an optional 1.6-liter diesel. The 1.5-liter and the diesel are matched with a six-speed automatic transmission, while the 2.0-liter gets GMโ€™s new nine-speed auto box."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Y-Guy
You will need to check in each dingy by year to see if its towable. The single best source is the actual owners manual. You can usually find the online owners manual that you can read up on what's called four down, recreational or a variety of other terms. But before you buy you need to see the actual owners manual in the vehicle you are buying.

Another resources is the Remco Towing StoreI like it since you can customize the various options to see if a different combination might work. They also provide comments if it might work but void the warranty. But the owners manual is still the go to source.

Finally as you just start looking the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guides are great resource.

Of course searching this forum will give you a lot of past discussions about various dinghy's too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
It may be stating the obvious, but first thing to do is read the Owner's Manual to find out if any of them are towable. then find out what "the boss" likes.
Personally, I tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. IMO, it is simply the best toad available.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"