cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tesla towing an Air Stream

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just came across this article. sounds interesting! I guess they know what it is capable of.

Link to the article!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
44 REPLIES 44

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
tatest wrote:
Tesla X should make a great tow vehicle, so long as you can find charging stations everywhere you are traveling. Maybe every 100 miles, or as often as 70 miles?

289 mile nominal range is based on performance with light load, mixed driving cycle, and great aerodynamics of the car itself (0.24 CD). A trailer with 60-80 sq ft and CD more like 0.8 to 0.9 is going to triple or quadruple drag on the highway, and at least double the loads for acceleration and grade climbing.

Electric cars are a move in the right direction, charging technology is improving, but they need a great expansion of charging infrastructure. When that is in place, electricity will not be given away free.

The trailer pictured is suspect. It looks like one of the 25-foot floorplans, and even if a basic Flying Cloud the empty weight will be over the listed towing capacity of the Tesla X. A Bambi or a 19-20 foot (single axle) Flying Cloud would be more credible as a tow for a light SUV.

Why does every Rver need to rush more then 100 miles a day or more anyways..
If one wants to realy see the country and all atractions they should drive less then that and look around,,stop and smell the roses as they say,,theres plenty of interesting stuff to find even in smaller towns..

I have a career which means limited days off so sometimes a vacation is about the destination, not the trip. I cracked off a 900 mile tow day this summer bringing the family home from a vacation at Disneyland. Long day but certainly doable.

Big difference between retired full time RVing and part time camping/vacation RVing, imo.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
tplife wrote:
I have nothing against Coal-Powered automobiles towing RVs, and why not, I have a Prius with a TorkLIft hitch, Reese lighting kit and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. Now don't tell that to my Cali legislators, they like to hire phony pHDs and promote environmental hoaxes to tax us out of our own homes.

Must be where you live. No coal has powered my car. Power produced from coal continues to decrease every year. There is no easy fast fix, but ya gotta start somewhere. ๐Ÿ™‚

Coal provides about 4% of mexico's energy requirements.
Mexico's Energy and King Coal

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
free radical wrote:
tatest wrote:
Tesla X should make a great tow vehicle, so long as you can find charging stations everywhere you are traveling. Maybe every 100 miles, or as often as 70 miles?

289 mile nominal range is based on performance with light load, mixed driving cycle, and great aerodynamics of the car itself (0.24 CD). A trailer with 60-80 sq ft and CD more like 0.8 to 0.9 is going to triple or quadruple drag on the highway, and at least double the loads for acceleration and grade climbing.

Electric cars are a move in the right direction, charging technology is improving, but they need a great expansion of charging infrastructure. When that is in place, electricity will not be given away free.

The trailer pictured is suspect. It looks like one of the 25-foot floorplans, and even if a basic Flying Cloud the empty weight will be over the listed towing capacity of the Tesla X. A Bambi or a 19-20 foot (single axle) Flying Cloud would be more credible as a tow for a light SUV.

If one wants to realy see the country and all atractions they should drive less then that and look around,,stop and smell the roses as they say,,theres plenty of interesting stuff to find even in smaller towns..

If I only drove 100 miles a day, I would never get anywhere! maybe if I was retired? and even then I would want to drive more than 2 hours a day!

I am retired and kinda know where I want to be at the end of each tow. Sometimes it is 3 hours others as much as 12 hours. We go coast to coast and there is an awful lot of ground you don't need to stop at. From Tuscon to fort stockton there is little we would stop for and several other spot of low intensity.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
free radical wrote:
tatest wrote:

If I only drove 100 miles a day, I would never get anywhere! maybe if I was retired? and even then I would want to drive more than 2 hours a day!

Kinda depends where you are I suppose. In some areas If you drive 100 miles in some places you have passed a lot of nice hiking areas.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
tatest wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Did someone said electric cars are slow going uphil?

https://youtu.be/NAnzPAsvHL0

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
leeper wrote:
Great just what we need. Now wait for some ding dong to tow it without a driver, auto-pilot.

Actually - a pretty GREAT -:C- idea for the ding-dongs who need to drive while: texting, talking on a hand-held cell phone, reading books, and newspapers during rush hour on the freeway/expressway.

~

I seem to remember a old "Mr.Beam" movie where he puts a brick on his accelerator and changes clothes while going down the road. lol

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
leeper wrote:
Great just what we need. Now wait for some ding dong to tow it without a driver, auto-pilot.

Actually - a pretty GREAT -:C- idea for the ding-dongs who need to drive while: texting, talking on a hand-held cell phone, reading books, and newspapers during rush hour on the freeway/expressway.

~

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
fireman41 wrote:
https://nikolamotor.com/one

Times are changing. Some day gas and diesel powered vehicles will be in the minority.

True. There are already some European nations that have set in motion that no internal combustion engines burning diesel or gas will not be sold. At least one nation is approaching 1/2 of all cars sold are electric in 2016.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
https://nikolamotor.com/one

Times are changing. Some day gas and diesel powered vehicles will be in the minority.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see pure electrics as practical tow vehicles for a long time, if at all. Wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of diesel electric hybrids to take advantage of energy recovery though.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:

Humm..a 23 foot Flying cloud base weight is under the specified towing rating of the x model ...the receiver that is based on is very minimal and I'd expect trivial improvements would increase the capacity to far more than the current 5,000# rating if Tesla wants that for a demo.
The elephant in the room is the charging, but then where is the most likely place to be able to drive up to a 50 Amp plug beside most major highways, and the power is free to those staying there, while infastructure is being developed? Hum....let me think ....
The Canadians who already did this brought piles of extra batteries and solar panels, expensive way to double their range. They saw half the range of normal, with a smaller trailer and but when going through the rookies. Highly variable with speed of course.
Hey it is a demo, not too practical yet but what is easy to do makes for a boring demo.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:

What would happen if the batteries were interchangeable?

Shai Agassi Ted Talks on electric cars
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton