cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

THE FINAL FLASHLIGHT

fill
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up the last flashlight Iโ€™ll ever need: the Nebo / Big Larry. Donโ€™t look at it directly; it will temporarily blind you. Instead of individual LEDs it has a yellow plate full of LED chips that puts out 400 lumens. The 2nd setting is softer.

The third setting is just as impressive. Itโ€™s a BRIGHT red flasher. The unit has a very strong magnet in its base so that you can stick on steel either to see or be seen beside the road.

The unit is a tube about 7 ยฝ inches long and runs on 3 AA batteries.

I got mine at a local Drug / Hardware store (Itโ€™s a small town.) but Iโ€™ve seen it on Amazon for the same $20.

Fill
Subaru. โ€™94 GoldWing 1500 SE
2012 Roll-A-Home, Eagle 1 trailer
GWRRA, Thousand Trails, IBMC
(Weโ€™ve downsized)
33 REPLIES 33

Avatab
Explorer
Explorer
Have a bunch of these. 1 AA battery, 3 settings and pocket sized w/ a belt clip.

http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire%C2%AE-300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/dp/B006VPPERC/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1445354111&sr=8-15&keywords=cree
Steve
99 Itasca Suncruiser 32 V10
97 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Trying to be Type B in my Class A :B

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
This post seems out of date. Buying a decent LED flashlight was an issue just a year or two ago. That is no longer the case and every hardware store has a selection. I use the cheap $1 flashlights for most uses. When I want a serious flashlight, here is what I want. Power by 2 D or 2 C cells instead of costly low power AA or AAA batteries. I want a low power saver setting and a high power setting in the range of about 500-700 lumens. I want a head that will concentrate and focus the beam and adjust to a wide setting when needed. I can usually find flashlights that meet these requirements at under $10. I think my last purchase was a pair of Duracell brand flashlights from Costco at about $7 each.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 you beat me to the explanation. I think the low current flow of LED lights also leads to the dirt problem also. I find I'm popping batteries and rubbing the contacts on my jeans often. The bigger problem I have seen with LED lights is I have them everywhere, therefore I never/seldom use up a battery, they do last forever and the batteries go past their use date and start leaking. Not a problem on the free/cheap ones but when it happens to one of my good ones.... So I try to remember to pop out batteries on a regular bases to check the date on the batteries.

I have several favorites but none that were super expensive. I have a 3 D cell unit I got on sale at HomeD a couple of years ago for $25 that is the brightest flashlight I have ever owned., 1000+ lumens, it lights up the night. I have a couple pocket flashlights that were in the $10 range, on sale, that I like a lot one is a Coast. I find they make a flashlight that feels and work enough better than the free ones that I will grab them first. Also have a few Maglites in different sized from AAA to D. Oh I also have some head lamps, 3 cheap one slightly better with focused beam.

Boy I have a lot of flash lights ๐Ÿ™‚

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with those multiple AAA battery LED lights is the resistance they develop at the 8 connections most of them have. One tiny spec of dirt or corrosion and you have little light output.

I just bought an LED light that uses a single nine volt battery. Only two points of possible resistance.

Edited for spelling.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another listing that has 10 reviews, is a couple dollars cheaper, and the listing seems to be better formatted than in previous links posted.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Houston Remodeler wrote:
At regular intervals Home Depot sells 10 LED flashlights for $8 complete with batteries. We store one in every compartment, give them away. lose some... who cares?

We employ the same effort with sunglasses. After losing too many expensive pairs the limit is now $12. Seems we can't lose the cheap ones.

I do the same thing. I do keep a better quality flashlight in my pickup for my personal use but, for everybody else I just hand them one of these cheapies

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Every other circular from Harbor Freight. I laugh when I see them at the check out at Lowes, Home Depot, AutoZone, etc....for $5.00-$10.00.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
BUY a flashlight :h

FREE FREE FREE

Maybe not as jazzy as one that will electricute a fellow camper who wanders to close too your fire pit, but, disposable enough to have one in every compartment. They also give away pen lights...one for every drawer.

Plus one tactical maglight for when I want to see what the people on the other side of the lake are doing.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
leeper wrote:
Seems like the LED flashlights use up batteries fast. Replacing batteries more often.

That seems to be my experience, the last few years. I swear that when LED flashlights first came out they lasted forever... now, we've always got a "dead" LED light amoung our lights. I don't know if I've just gotten used to the longer lasting light in general, or that most of the new LEDs are of really cheap manufacture.

I use a couple of the flat type LEDs at a friends cabin, and they rarely last more than one season before running out of power. This isn't on constantly, just when using the bathroom and/or getting ready for bed.

I do use the clip on hat lights all the time. Puts the light just where I want it and weigh almost nothing. They seem to use up batteries quickly also, but I do use them all the time.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I just use my Ryobi 18v flashlight

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
Another idea. These are a different alternative to a traditional flashlight, but I have probably a half-dozen or so of headband flashlights similar to these from Amazon. I find them of great use at night around the campfire, walking around the RV, taking the dogs for their walks, etc. It's nice having both hands available to work. Like others, I seem to leave them all over the place, so I have multiple pairs I try to keep in key locations. They're cheap and work pretty darn well.

When they were first recommended to me, I balked at the idea as being "geeky", but I'll be danged, they work.~Rick

I see a lot of people using those now. I think they've past the geeky stage and are now quite popular with everyone! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another idea. These are a different alternative to a traditional flashlight, but I have probably a half-dozen or so of headband flashlights similar to these from Amazon. I find them of great use at night around the campfire, walking around the RV, taking the dogs for their walks, etc. It's nice having both hands available to work. Like others, I seem to leave them all over the place, so I have multiple pairs I try to keep in key locations. They're cheap and work pretty darn well.

When they were first recommended to me, I balked at the idea as being "geeky", but I'll be danged, they work.

As I age and my eyes just don't see as good as they used to, I find these handy to wear while working on just about everything. I can adjust them to illuminate exactly where I'm looking and still have both hands available to work.

They're no good for intense lighting like the Mag-Lites, but they are probably my most used flashlight.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Those little Harbor Freight 2-for-2.99 lights seem to last forever.

I don't care for that Nebo sideways configuration. YMMV.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Empty Nest, Soon wrote:
TenOC wrote:
fill wrote:

The unit is a tube about 7 ยฝ inches long and runs on 3 AA batteries.

I like a rechargeable light.

I donโ€™t understand the popularity of LED flashlights using AA (or AAA!) batteries. Yes, I know, LED lights use less power, but I see that as a poor reason to carry less reserve power.

I prefer the heft of a flashlight that runs on C or D cell batteries. If I want a small, lightweight flashlight, one that runs on 2 C cells seems to be about right. Thatโ€™s what I used to carry back in the day for backpacking. I donโ€™t think C cells cost any more than little AA cells and last many times longer.

Wayne

I have a couple rechargeable Fenix lights-A TK 41 using rechargeables and Fenix BC30R with internal rechargeable. Both are great lights very bright. I also have a couple little two AA Fenix LED flashlights. I tend to grab them a lot-as much or more than the others. I carry one permanently in the RV, car amd truck. They easily slip in a pocket. They give very good light and very good battery life-at least the light of vintage 2 D cell flashlights with more battery life. Plus the don't just go out, they dim with plenty of warning-and the dim is pretty bright at least in the earlier going. I really don't have objection to throw away AA batteries. I buy them by quantity in Costco-always have a use in the numerous remote control devices, door locks, etc. Every six months or so I put a new set in the AA flashlights-and they've always been ready. So here's a vote in favor ๐Ÿ™‚