Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The used RV market is getting nuts...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We keep our 2012 24' Class C parked in our driveway:

As you can see it is well back from the street but yesterday, for the second time in a week, a guy pulled up and rang our bell to inquire if our coach was for sale. He had driven 90 minutes up from Phoenix to buy a coach but when he arrived the seller had already sold it out from under him. At least half a dozen folks over the last six months have approached us wanting to make and offer.

Fortunately for us we are very happy with our coach having just passed our 8 year anniversary and have zero interest in selling. I can only imagine how much we could probably get for it. :B All I would have to do is turn it around little closer to the street and put up a For Sale sign. No wonder getting reservations {now a must} at just about any CG or RV park are next to impossible this summer. Hopefully once the kids go back to school in September things will loosen up...This market is just nuts!
:S
17 REPLIES 17

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Well, sounds like you're all set. The addition of an alligator-filled moat and roof mounted flame throwers and you've got every angle covered!

Seriously though, if I saw someone attempting to steal my motorhome, I think confronting him would be out of the question. Like you say, that's why we carry insurance, and even if I'm armed to the hilt, the thief might have different plans. Nothing I own is worth my life, nor is it worth taking the life of another, right?

I agree. Having had everything I own stolen while I was on vacation, including my clipper, I can honestly say that nothing I lost was as important as realizing my pets were with me and safe.

I did get the clipper back. They ripped out the ignition (even though they had stolen the spare keys), messed up the steps and bumper, stole the car stereo and speakers, stole the agm battery out of the engine - but not the house battery, and used the toilet...

I worked with insurance and managed to get everything repaired or replaced AND got a new toilet without having to total it.

The thieves did leave a brand new still in the box bing camera in it. I have that set up inside the clipper. Figure I'll get a few videos of a thief before they take it or the battery dies. At home the clipper is plugged in so the camera stays fully charged.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Plan A - Call 9-1-1 is probably the preferred response ... but, Plan B is probably the most useful, and more often the reality.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Seriously though, if I saw someone attempting to steal my motorhome, I think confronting him would be out of the question. Like you say, that's why we carry insurance, and even if I'm armed to the hilt, the thief might have different plans. Nothing I own is worth my life, nor is it worth taking the life of another, right?"

Right. However, if someone is brazen enough to come on my property, negotiate all of the deterrents that I have in place chances are they will be armed and certainly dangerous. Calling 911 is always going to be Plan A... but having a Plan B is always a good idea.

:C

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
OP here, As far as security for my rig I am fairly proactive. While I don't disconnect the battery I do have 6 security cameras around our house with three covering the front yard and of course the coach. These cameras have infrared for night use and any motion in range of the cameras triggers the video which is simultaneously beamed up to the Cloud. Smashing a camera only gets your face for a nice close up. Any motion detected on any of the cameras generates an immediate notification to our smart phones.

Our bedroom is about 15' from where the coach is parked and we close the gates to both driveways every evening. I do keep it locked and the alarm set. To actually steal the coach assuming you can get in silently and manage to fire it up you cannot simply back down the driveway and out the gate. Directly behind the coach the slope drops off steeply about 4'.
To get it parked you have to pull up and back walking it over and even with practice it takes about 3 tries to get it in and 3 more to get it out far enough to reach the driveway, clear of the drop off, with all 6 wheels.

We live in a very conservative small mountain town and everybody has weapons and I fit right in. Then there is my neighbors dog... Darbie is 100# of 4 year old German Shepard. We bonded when I moved in and began giving her a couple of doggie treats every morning along with a nice bone whenever I have leftovers. Anyone other than my wife or I come onto our property and she goes off and is easily as loud as the alarm.

Lastly I have full coverage, if someone wants it bad enough to defeat all of these measures GEICO can just send me a check although in this market I would have one helluva time finding a replacement.

Well, sounds like you're all set. The addition of an alligator-filled moat and roof mounted flame throwers and you've got every angle covered!

Seriously though, if I saw someone attempting to steal my motorhome, I think confronting him would be out of the question. Like you say, that's why we carry insurance, and even if I'm armed to the hilt, the thief might have different plans. Nothing I own is worth my life, nor is it worth taking the life of another, right?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here, As far as security for my rig I am fairly proactive. While I don't disconnect the battery I do have 6 security cameras around our house with three covering the front yard and of course the coach. These cameras have infrared for night use and any motion in range of the cameras triggers the video which is simultaneously beamed up to the Cloud. Smashing a camera only gets your face for a nice close up. Any motion detected on any of the cameras generates an immediate notification to our smart phones.

Our bedroom is about 15' from where the coach is parked and we close the gates to both driveways every evening. I do keep it locked and the alarm set. To actually steal the coach assuming you can get in silently and manage to fire it up you cannot simply back down the driveway and out the gate. Directly behind the coach the slope drops off steeply about 4'.
To get it parked you have to pull up and back walking it over and even with practice it takes about 3 tries to get it in and 3 more to get it out far enough to reach the driveway, clear of the drop off, with all 6 wheels.

We live in a very conservative small mountain town and everybody has weapons and I fit right in. Then there is my neighbors dog... Darbie is 100# of 4 year old German Shepard. We bonded when I moved in and began giving her a couple of doggie treats every morning along with a nice bone whenever I have leftovers. Anyone other than my wife or I come onto our property and she goes off and is easily as loud as the alarm.

Lastly I have full coverage, if someone wants it bad enough to defeat all of these measures GEICO can just send me a check although in this market I would have one helluva time finding a replacement.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
bukhrn wrote:
โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..which I instantly throw in the trash as i'm not interested in buy a new car at an over inflated price.

I agree in principle. However you either sell yours at an inflated price and buy theirs at an inflated price. Or sell yours later at a reduced price and buy theirs at a reduced price. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
About every month, I get a letter from the three Ford dealers in the area, of which only one I use for service, wanting to buy my '14 Focus, or my '12 Fusion Hybrid, which I instantly throw in the trash as i'm not interested in buy a new car at an over inflated price.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had people come up and ask to buy my clipper when I'm home or at a gas station, etc. Or they leave a note on it asking to buy it.

I've been tempted to put a sign on it:

Not for Sale
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
No wonder getting reservations {now a must} at just about any CG or RV park are next to impossible this summer.
Newbies have bought out all the existing inventory and now going for used. Interesting.

I'm fortunate to never have experienced difficulty finding space. Of course being able to camp on nothing but a spot of land helps. I'm in a forest CG in UT and out of 41 spaces there are 3 occupied. Mesa Verde is very slow too.

I think fire smoke is keeping them away. Visibility is maybe 3 miles, from what used to be 20.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is recent article on this very issue from RV travel website. The many comments and replies are interesting. In Reno area all the dealer lots are full of new RVs of all types.

Are RVs Really In Short Supply? https://www.rvtravel.com/rvs-short-supply-buyer/

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
. . . . and the time will come, in the not too distant future, when we will all be saying about our RV's, trucks, cars, whatever . . . "man, I wish I would have taken that ridiculously high offer that guy made me several months back, because today I could have bought _____ with that money! What was I thinking, turning it down like I did??"

Much like the current inflated Real Estate market, this will come to an end, sooner than later. I don't see it as a balloon that will burst, but as a balloon that will lose it's air gradually.

My advice would be to keep a close eye on the market, and act accordingly.

There ya go -- free advice, and worth every penny of it :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would disconnect or remove the battery of your class C and/or use a two prong steering wheel lock just in case in these high criminal times. I have successfully used the TWO prong steering wheel locks on my trucks when sometimes parked in badass areas such as some truck stops or storage lots with the battery disconnected also or removed. Always of course have the windows up and doors locked. Thieves do sometimes steal motorhomes and give police a run for their money with major damage or destruction of the RV according to the news and hunting season is approaching.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Please stop reminding me, lol!
Iโ€™ve been threatheaning to sell the camper, brodozer and boat for about a month now!
Lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
S Davis wrote:
I took my truck into the dealer for a few issues before it turns 36,000 miles and they offered me $15,000 more than I paid in late 2019.
That seems great until you find out you pay sticker on a new one and nothing you want is even available.

Yeah, last weekend I was fueling my 08 Chevy, and the guy next to me at the diesel island asked me what year my truck was and how many miles. He then offered me $35K on the spot. Thatโ€™s 5 grand more than I paid for it in Jan 2009. Of course I declined, but holy cow.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS