cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thomas Payne Furniture - AVOID IT

byron_bailey
Explorer
Explorer
In October 2019, we purchased 4 pieces of new Thomas Payne furniture as follows:

Theater Seating left hand recliner
Jaleco Chocolate $562.50

Theater Seating right hand recliner
Jaleco Chocolate $562.50

Theater Seating center console
Jaleco Chocolate $187.50

60โ€ Trifold Sofa
Jaleco Chocolate $1115.63

Total $2428.13 + $200.33 sales tax

This summer, less than 3 years later, the fabric on the recliner seat backs began shredding. They look horrible. This furniture has been well cared-for and we have no pets.

Even though the furniture was out of warranty, I contacted Lippert for product support. My problem (fabric shredding) is obviously not an isolated incident, because I was immediately offered a 50% discount on new furniture. The problems with this offer are numerous. Number one is that Jaleco Chocolate has been replaced with Majestic Chocolate, and the colors are very different. Therefore, any new pieces that we would purchase would not match the old pieces.
Number two is that the prices have gone up over $100 per recliner. Even with the 50% discount, we were quoted the following prices (plus sales tax and shipping):

Right Hand Recliner $668.95 less 50% = $334.48
Left hand Recliner $668.95 less 50% = $334.48
Center Console $224.95 less 50% = $112.48

After less than 3 years of use, we would be looking at nearly $1,000 to replace three pieces of our low-quality Thomas Payne furniture. AVOID PURCHASING THOMAS PAYNE FURNITURE AT ALL COSTS!
39 REPLIES 39

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
That's odd.

Everyone on here knows that Lippert makes GREAT trailer frames and other products! LOL :R :R :R :R :R

Ask ME how much I love my Lippert $1,200 slide motor! :M :M :M :M :M
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

My Thomas Payne chairs held up pretty darn good.. They took my 250# ARSE sitting on them for 4 years until the RV was lost to a tree.. We saved 1 of those chairs and that is being used by my 240# Bro-in-law to this day.. Its still tight, and looks great.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jnslprd
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if everyone is sitting on the same Thomas Payne junk as I am. There is no way you can look at this furniture and not see it for what it is. Reupholstering would be a huge waste of money as the frames are so light duty its only a matter of time til they fail. The same size couch from a real furniture store is double the price, so I guess you get what you pay for. My trailer has no press board or MDF and doesn't smell like chemicals except for the center console of our theater seats. My wife has put blankets in there and after washing them multiple times the smell still remains and she won't use them anymore. Anyway it is what it is and that's what comes with all these RVs.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
2012Coleman wrote:
Lantley wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I do believe the OP is sincere in their desire to warns others of his poor furniture purchase. However drive by posters will always have credibility issues.
If the first time I meet you all you want to do is make a complaint vs. fully participate you will not be well received.

A better approach may have been:
"I recently purchased Brand XYZ furniture.It did not hold up well and I now need to replace it with something else.This is my 2nd attempt to get it right can you suggest a quality manufacture of RV furniture? Brand XYZ did not last very long at all. I am still in need of decent furniture."....

If you just come off as a one time poster with a rant your post will be easily dismissed.

Amen to that.
Maybe by you two - don't be so presumptuous as to speak for the entire forum. If you don't like the post, as someone already stated - why bother?

I am only speaking for myself. I'm not asking anyone to agree with my opinion or comments. Nevertheless if your post is just a one off rant it will be taken as just a one off rant by others vs. a post with more substance than just a rant.
Just my 2 cents. YMMV
Oh - OK - then I can tell you how to phrase things then - right?

If you are really speaking for only yourself, then instead of saying "If you just come off as a one time poster with a rant your post will be easily dismissed.", you should say something like:

In my opinion, If you just come off as a one time poster with a rant your post will be easily dismissed.

Or

If you just come off as a one time poster with a rant, I would most likely easily dismiss your post.

I'm sure you could come up with one on your own though.

You can word it however you want. You can agree or disagree but I do think you get my point.
A rant is generally a way to get and issue off your chest and make yourself feel better however I don't see it as the best way to communicate or get any real action or satisfaction.
A more reasonable tone and detailed post will be more effective vs. a rant.
Choosing the correct words is all about effective communication. A more simply stated"getting your point across." A rant maybe good for ones stress level, but it is not the most effective way to communicate.
If your just looking to scream at the world to relieve some stress ranting is fine and often helps. But if your looking to actually communicate with others ranting is not the best way.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I do believe the OP is sincere in their desire to warns others of his poor furniture purchase. However drive by posters will always have credibility issues.
If the first time I meet you all you want to do is make a complaint vs. fully participate you will not be well received.

"I recently purchased Brand XYZ furniture.It did not hold up well and I now need to replace it with something else.This is my 2nd attempt to get it right can you suggest a quality manufacture of RV furniture? Brand XYZ did not last very long at all. I am still in need of decent furniture."....

If you just come off as a one time poster with a rant your post will be easily dismissed.

Amen to that.
Maybe by you two - don't be so presumptuous as to speak for the entire forum. If you don't like the post, as someone already stated - why bother?

I am only speaking for myself. I'm not asking anyone to agree with my opinion or comments. Nevertheless if your post is just a one off rant it will be taken as just a one off rant by others vs. a post with more substance than just a rant.
Just my 2 cents. YMMV
Oh - OK - then I can tell you how to phrase things then - right?

If you are really speaking for only yourself, then instead of saying "If you just come off as a one time poster with a rant your post will be easily dismissed.", you should say something like:

In my opinion, If you just come off as a one time poster with a rant your post will be easily dismissed.

Or

If you just come off as a one time poster with a rant, I would most likely easily dismiss your post.

I'm sure you could come up with one on your own though.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
2012Coleman wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Lantley wrote:

Amen to that.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV
Correct Trax,Splendide

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone wonder why this forum is slowing down. :h Too much BS from the old timers.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Lantley wrote:

Amen to that.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lantley wrote:

Amen to that.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad

Correct Trax,Splendide

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
Geez, and we wonder why forum participation has fallen off. Give it a few more years and it's going to be just a few crotchety old people left doing nothing but throwing out snarky comments.
Give people a break here. Who cares if it's a newby posting, I wouldn't want to come back around either given the tone of some of these threads. We tend to bash people when they have a complaint, bash them when they asked a question thats been asked many times and be told to use the search funtion, etc As I said give them a break. :R
Dan

AMEN...forums everywhere are loaded with people like this.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
byron.bailey wrote:
Yes, I did mean October 2016 (purchase date)...my error. No, nothing fishy about my first post. I wanted it to appear in a forum that would be read by a lot of RVers, because it is pitiful how Lippert can get away with selling high-priced junk to RVers who need furniture to fit their spaces.
There is another post in travel trilers similar to yours. Thomas Pain is junk RV furniture suggest residential furniture if it will fit through the door.

byron.bailey wrote:
Yes, I did mean October 2016 (purchase date)...my error. No, nothing fishy about my first post. I wanted it to appear in a forum that would be read by a lot of RVers, because it is pitiful how Lippert can get away with selling high-priced junk to RVers who need furniture to fit their spaces.

I stand corrected.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

byron_bailey
Explorer
Explorer