cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time so sell.........

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
well it has come to that time..... After 10+ years of service and family fun- We have to sell the ol' 5th wheel.

Due to a divorce -we also have to sell the camper. I tried Craigs List and some other sites -but very few hits- The more I think about it- the more I don't wanna deal with the public with all that goes with selling a unit (I had one guy come by and has never towed anything ever)-

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with selling back to a dealer on consignment?
I realize it may be less money, but it cuts out the selling privately hassle. Camping World seems to offer it- Anyone have any feedback?
24 REPLIES 24

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's hard to drop price but my theory with selling most things, is that it's worth what some buyer will pay within a reasonable period of time. So besides finding more exposure, a price drop is the only way. I've actually given things away to get rid of it.
Jayco-noslide

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Craig's List is a funny place - in Michigan, we sell a TON of used cars; have sold our various RVs through it, and in general it works great. In Florida, it's another story - people seem leery of it.

Facebook Marketplace is good, if you already have a FB account. Also - if you have a "Nextdoor" website for your area, that's a good resource.

I do know that in Michigan, at least, if you sell a titled vehicle, etc through a consignment, the selling dealer needs to have your title signed over to them. That's going to require some trust on your part. (It may be different for other states)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've sold several cars ,boats,motorcycles and RV's over the years on Craigslist. Many within a few hours of posting. Price it right, take way more pictures than you think are needed and post them.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
PM me your CL link. I've sold lots of stuff on CL including my last TT which sold in less than 24 hours. I'll give you feedback if needed.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lower your price. Make it really clean. Stage it.

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
Original dealer took my rig on consignment, got me high trade in value within 3 weeks.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 I,ve sold boats,cars equipt etc on craigs list with no problems. sure theres some crooks out there ,just don,t deal with them ignore there offers .

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have sold our last three RVs on Craigslist and had no problems with getting rid of it. Yes, we had a few Scammers send texts, but they never called. We stated in the ad that it was a CASH only deal, in person at the bank that held the title. We did end up selling with checks off their bank to our bank. The bank did all their checks prior to accepting, we signed off on the title, the bank did their notary stuff and the sale went through without a hitch.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Airdaile wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
lower the price. if you,ve only gotten one hit ,some thing is wrong.

But not too low. When I see a rig on CL with a low price and mention of a divorce or over-seas deployment, my scam alarm goes off.

My DEAL alarm goes off when I see divorce sale!
Bought my last new snowmobile for about $3 grand less than comparable. Lady was kicking her husband out and done making payments on HIS machine. Caveat was I had to get there before he got home. I brought cash and a side arm!

The best deals to be had are from someone in a "situation". If they weren't, they wouldn't be so quick to get rid of it!

I agree, the overseas one is usually a scam though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
huskyfan68 wrote:
partly- yes...... I've had it online for a month on 3 different sites with one hit. Due to my situation- I need to get rid of it sooner rather than later

Winter just got over in Jersey. Not a surprise.
If you don't get calls lower the price until you do...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
RedLionCookie wrote:
What are the specifics on it?

Can't post specifics here as that would violate the no selling forum rule. Contact the OP via PM please.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:

But not too low. When I see a rig on CL with a low price and mention of a divorce or over-seas deployment, my scam alarm goes off.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:

I agree....this time of year is sellers market.....you must be asking too much...all imho.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

RedLionCookie
Explorer
Explorer
What are the specifics on it?