cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire/wheel change on the road

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
Acme Tools, has this M-18 FUEL™ & M12 FUEL™ Mid-Torque & Ratchet Combo Kit for $379. Seems like a really good price, question is would this impact driver be a good choice to carry for my truck (3500) and travel trailer. Last time I had a flat I couldn’t break the lug nuts loose.
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited
109 REPLIES 109

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
A good tire shop might use torque sticks.
I told the last shop to torque to 140 and all the nuts were dead on when I got home.

Well, I definitely never been in a good tire shop then :B

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that most everyone here was driving and /or changed tires before the internet.
Why the 11pages now, like every other thread about wheel lug torque?
If this is a scintillating subject for some, I feel sorry that your lives are not more exciting!

There really hasn't been a thing in the world I lost sleep over on how I tightened up bolts, and nuts Only thing back in the day I used a torque wrench for was putting an engine back together , tires, hitches , setting up dies in the plant etc , even a length of pipe for a cheater to get those dies tied down to the bed of the press ,so they stayed there .Takes a bit of tonnage to punch a 2" hole in a 1*1/2 steel plate , plus the force on the top die pulling it off. Or to pierce ,and corrugate large culvert plate . The list goes on ,not a torque wrench in sight . I only worked with 90- 1250 ton presses ,and there are much bigger out there.

Do I take the time now on my truck ,and fifth wheel to torque the wheels , Yes I do, but then I got lots of time 🙂

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I’d make a video of me rotating tires with nothing but 2 floor jacks and a 1/2” air impact, but I fear it would end up in cardiac arrest for a few! Lol

Nothing new on that, been doing it that way for years. Pretty sure I got a year or two on you 🙂

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

HONEST question, how do you know the lugs were not torqued to lets say 150-160???

So you set your torque wrench to 140 and sure enough they all click.

There is nothing I can say that will suit you. I suggest you search some YouTube videos if you want some instruction that might be correct.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’d make a video of me rotating tires with nothing but 2 floor jacks and a 1/2” air impact, but I fear it would end up in cardiac arrest for a few! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that most everyone here was driving and /or changed tires before the internet.
Why the 11pages now, like every other thread about wheel lug torque?
If this is a scintillating subject for some, I feel sorry that your lives are not more exciting!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I told the last shop to torque to 140 and all the nuts were dead on when I got home.

You mean they all “clicked” ???

No way in HE!! will I let anyone touch my rigs with A torque stick.

I mean that I do check others work and I do know how to use a torque wrench.

HONEST question, how do you know the lugs were not torqued to lets say 150-160???

So you set your torque wrench to 140 and sure enough they all click.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

I mean that I do check others work and I do know how to use a torque wrench.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
With impact guns I would say some guys can get pretty close. My buddies all change sandcar tires with electric impacts. Dont think I've ever seen them with a torque wrench in their hands.

Well, a lot of guys think they know how tight they need to go, it's that educated arm. 🙂 Many guys think they simply don't need a torque wrench. Seen that a lot. And if it doesn't come off, and you can get it off later, it's good.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cummins2014 wrote:
wopachop wrote:
Dtank wrote:
*YOUR* job is to watch the guy tightening the lugs with his impact.
*ASK* the guy what his impact is set at!!..:@

~
I agree with what you said about auto shops over torquing. We have had horrible luck in that department.

With impact guns I would say some guys can get pretty close. My buddies all change sandcar tires with electric impacts. Dont think I've ever seen them with a torque wrench in their hands.

At home I use an air powered impact. Set it to power level 2 and let it hit 2 or 3 times is about 70ft lbs. I then torque by hand after that.

I think most shops give you lip service on the those impact guns, IMO they are set too high let it hit couple three times ,and then go thru the motions of using the torque wrench. Unless you are leaning right over the top of them , and see the nut actually move, I doubt you are getting the job done right.

I agree, and many shops will not let you in the service area to watch either. If they are working in their parking lot, you may be able to hover.

Like so many RV related, and minor tow vehicle service items, if you want the job done right, well you know... If you are not capable/knowledgeable, then a shop you trust is best option.

Oh ya, on the road, call for help??? Never have, and I have changed some flat tires under GAWD awful conditions. Being prepared is first step!!

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Dtank wrote:

~
I agree with what you said about auto shops over torquing. We have had horrible luck in that department.

At home I use an air powered impact. Set it to power level 2 and let it hit 2 or 3 times is about 70ft lbs. I then torque by hand after that.

I think most shops give you lip service on the those impact guns, IMO they are set too high let it hit couple three times ,and then go thru the motions of using the torque wrench. Unless you are leaning right over the top of them , and see the nut actually move, I doubt you are getting the job done right.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:

~