cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Smells Horrific When Flushing

winesalot
Explorer
Explorer
I posted a while back about a venting problem we had with our 5th wheel that is. Sing lived in while parked indoors. (https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30096797/gotomsg/30097053.cfm#30097053)

I capped all three tank vents, black and two grays, with dryer vent hose and ran them outside the building. This solved our smell inside the building but outside the trailer problem. However, lately we are experiencing a bad - and I mean REAL bad stink every time we flush on the inside of the trailer. I have been draining and flushing the black water tank twice a week but this doesnโ€™t seem to help. I am hesitant to use strong chemical deodorizers because the trailer is dumping through a future toilet flange to our septic tank and drain field. What do I do? The wife is ready to move out, itโ€™s that bad.
22 REPLIES 22

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
power vent those dryer ducts. id bet you have more pressure in them than the washroom so the stank is equalizing into the camper instead of out.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

winesalot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great replies, I appreciate your taking time to help me out. Here are my responses:

No bleach or other chemicals for me. The septic system we installed for our building was extremely expensive and I am not going to mess with that biology.

Moving the trailer out of the building is not an option right now.

Vent is definitely not blocked.

I have thin vinyl dryer type hose connected to all three tank vents and they are tee'd together to one vent line exiting the building. There are definitely lots of bends and it does not go straight up.

This morning I installed an inline vent van in the common line from all three vents. Let's see if that helps.

Cheers!!!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Too funny, I have heard this "Vent could be BLOCKED" theory for so many years but NOT one example of it really happening.

Toilet WILL allow odor to escape when a fan is running plain and simple.

Sounds simple enough. Remember, the 'grey' water tank can smell as bad or worse than the black water tank. You may be doing everything fine to vent the black tank and flush it properly, but forgetting the grey water tank could be problematic as far as smells go.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Lakeside

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Exhaust venting needs to be done correctly to get it to draw upwards and through the roof and away from occupants. Incorrect modifications if not done correctly are going to cause big problems. Also, it is not unheard of to be restricted in some manner, especially if modified.
An explanation of how he modified the venting might give insight to his problem, length, size of pipe, and angle?
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Those exhaust fans plain ,and simple won't cause that sort of odor, that does sound like venting gone haywire. Sure if you stand there with the toilet flushing for too long you are going to pull some odor up, but normally that fan can run ,and flush fairly quick its going to be okay. Sure sometimes you will get a faint odor, but nothing like the OP is describing.

Mountaintrails
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, are you dumping directly into the future house septic system? The toilet flange goes straight to the septic tank with no P trap system. I will bet you are getting the septic tank venting up into your rv. I would diconnect the sewer hose from the rv for a while and see if the smell goes away.
Good luck

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Too funny, I have heard this "Vent could be BLOCKED" theory for so many years but NOT one example of it really happening.

Yeah real funny Cummins. The water hose thing worked for me!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Think of what you have done by extending the vent with the extended tubing. You now have fresh air coming in from outside and exiting from your tank into your RV every time you flush your toilet. Venting needs to go almost straight up and threw the roof. Listen to others and either reroute the venting or get a inline fan to get a positive flow outside.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider pouring a bit of bleach into your tank. The bleach will kill bacteria which is the cause of the smell. May not be a perfect fix but it's an inexpensive/quick solution to many smell issues. Just my 02.
Kevin

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Check to make sure the pipe isnโ€™t partially blocked. Take the cap off and squirt a little water down it with a garden hose.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
one of these in your black tank vent hose should create a slight vacuum in your tank and push air outside when you flush

4" duct booster fan

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Exhaust ran running while flushing = odors!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD