cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toll roads

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hoping someone from Illinois or one of the eastern states can help me with some info. In August I'll be travelling east and one of our stops is Beaver Dam Wisconsin. From there we'll be heading east again. Looking at my maps we will be picking up the 90/94 at about O'Hare. Can someone tell me what it might cost for tolls from O'Hare to Toledo, Ohio if I stayed on the 90/94 and did the Chicago Skyway and the Indiana Toll road. I'll be pulling my Fiver of course so it'll be 4 axles. Thanks in advance.
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy
34 REPLIES 34

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
If the OP is traveling thru NY and Me to get to NS an EZ-Pass is a good investment. You will save time and money going thru toll booths. In NY, there are some overhead toll readers that will read your EZ-Pass as others have mentioned. IMHO it is just easier to use than to get $ out at each toll collection area. Secondary roads are great if you have the time and are in no hurry. Good luck on your trip!
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH
Wherever you go, there you are!!

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I initiated an account with the Illinois Tollway for an I-Pass (but didn't complete it) and now I'm getting reminders to finish the registration or I could be cited and fined for violations when using the Illinois toll roads. I heard that Illinois was hard up for money but that's pretty devious.

If I didn't have an I-pass, I'd pay cash at the booth, hence, no record anyway.

Was just 'shopping' for the best deal anyway. Ohio certainly isn't a 'good' deal and Illinois isn't either. $40.00 minimum account balance and $10.00 for each transponder.

The only time I need one is when RV'ing anyway.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Massachusetts will send you up to 4 transponders for free and there's no monthly fee, just a minimum balance. I'm an Ohio resident but there was no way I was spending $44 for the first year just to give them money, when I found out I could get it for free with no ongoing cost from MA I jumped all over it. It saves me money in several states including Ohio and in many states saves time because you can cruise by at 60-70MPH instead of stopping and standing in line (why hasn't Ohio added the quick lanes yet, stupid turnpike commission).

The OTP is interesting (and they do have transponder only lanes (EZ pass only). However, the one thing that irritates me with the OTP is the lane spacing between the tool booths.

The OTP places 'dummy poles' in front of each tool booth at a 110" spacing. All well and good in as much as the maximum allowable width of any road going conveyance is less than that, however, there isn't much room for error entering a toll booth. You better have excellent depth perception and get 'squared up' before entering or your mirrors will be smacked by the poles and / or your camper gets hit and they don't move. While I've never contacted one, it's been close, too close. I tend to use the outside toll both lanes only, because there is more room to get 'square' prior to entering.

PITA and Ohio is the only state with 'close' spacing.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
ExxWhy wrote:
The Indiana turnpike website says they eliminated the EZ pass discount as of June 2017. Tolls for 4 axle across Indiana are $29, and $10 more on the Ohio turnpike to Toledo. I would not bother with the EZ pass for one trip.

Are you going farther east than Toledo?

Yes, we're going all the way to Nova Scotia.
2011 Montana 3455SA

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Massachusetts will send you up to 4 transponders for free and there's no monthly fee, just a minimum balance. I'm an Ohio resident but there was no way I was spending $44 for the first year just to give them money, when I found out I could get it for free with no ongoing cost from MA I jumped all over it. It saves me money in several states including Ohio and in many states saves time because you can cruise by at 60-70MPH instead of stopping and standing in line (why hasn't Ohio added the quick lanes yet, stupid turnpike commission).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Randu wrote:
Rygar wrote:
Just a question, but do you have to buy or rent the transponder?

I got EZ Pass from OH Turnpike. $12.00 to purchase and.75 per month fee to have it and it doesn't matter how much or how little you use it.

I-Pass from Illinois has no monthly fees and the $10 deposit is refundable when you return the device.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Rygar wrote:

I got EZ Pass from OH Turnpike. $12.00 to purchase and.75 per month fee to have it and it doesn't matter how much or how little you use it.
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:

Do _not_ forget to pay the tolls upon completion of your journey. I did so once. The send you no warnings or reminders and six months later you get a bill for $194... :S

THIS is the best advertisement I've seen for getting a transponder, especially if your home state is in the EZpass network. The small one time charge, if any, is trivial and you make that back quickly with the discounts.

AND cooperative agreements are growing each year. I think Georgia is onboard with EZpass now and Florida claims they will be too....real soon now.

The only problem I've had is the Florida system (SunPass not EZ compatible yet) counting axles on my motorhome/trailer combination that are not there sometimes. The cost difference is large but they make corrections upon request.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
For Illinois download the FastPass app for your iPhone, (I'm fairly sure they'll have it for Android too).

It requires no transponder because it uses the GPS in the phone to know that you are passing the toll area - it usually alerts me about three seconds before I pass under the contraption that reads the transponders so it's very accurate.

I regularly travel from Detroit to Milwaukee with and without the trailer and I just flip plate and axle numbers just before paying. We generally go round I-294 because it is generally the one that has the least traffic issues. Without the trailer the total cost is around $5-7 and with the trailer it goes up to about $20.

Do _not_ forget to pay the tolls upon completion of your journey. I did so once. The send you no warnings or reminders and six months later you get a bill for $194... :S

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Rygar wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Rygar wrote:
Ya, I think I've got it figured out. Avoiding the Skyway it looks like it's about $90. for tolls from North of Chicago to the east side of Ohio. Seems like a lot. Might be better on the non toll roads.

Run I94 east out of Indiana Harbor and drop down US23 south from I94 right into Toledo. I live here and thats how I always go. I'm cheap. if you are going east out of Toledo, take 23 south to 475 east to 75 north to 280 south to Route 2 (which is the Lake Erie Circle Tour Route). Connects right up to 90 on the west side of Cleveland and 90 east will take you to PA and on to NY. No tolls at all and Route 2 is a very pretty drive and at least 3/4 of it is limited access 70 per highway.

I like that idea!

I just checked the road construction map for Michigan/Ohio and the only construction (with no lane closures) on I94 east bound is at Battle Creek They have been working on the Ohio and Indiana toll roads however.

Nothing on US23 south from I94 to the Ohio line and limited construction on 475 east to 75 north 75 North to 280 South has some construction but it's only a 4 mile stretch from 475 to the 280 south exit. 280 south, nothing, Route 2, nothing, 90 east, nothing.

There are 2 very nice rest areas on Route 2, one east of Toledo and one west of Cleveland, just as you get into Lorain County.

I have family in Cleveland and I run Route 2 all the time. Just as fast or faster than the turnpike and it's free.

Good, smooth road too....
2015 Backpack SS1500

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
The Indiana turnpike website says they eliminated the EZ pass discount as of June 2017. Tolls for 4 axle across Indiana are $29, and $10 more on the Ohio turnpike to Toledo. I would not bother with the EZ pass for one trip.

Are you going farther east than Toledo?

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Rygar wrote:
Ya, I think I've got it figured out. Avoiding the Skyway it looks like it's about $90. for tolls from North of Chicago to the east side of Ohio. Seems like a lot. Might be better on the non toll roads.

Run I94 east out of Indiana Harbor and drop down US23 south from I94 right into Toledo. I live here and thats how I always go. I'm cheap. if you are going east out of Toledo, take 23 south to 475 east to 75 north to 280 south to Route 2 (which is the Lake Erie Circle Tour Route). Connects right up to 90 on the west side of Cleveland and 90 east will take you to PA and on to NY. No tolls at all and Route 2 is a very pretty drive and at least 3/4 of it is limited access 70 per highway.

I like that idea!
2011 Montana 3455SA

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
If you want to minimize your tolls, I'd go I-39 to I-80. I believe Route 20 in Indiana parallels the toll road. Google Maps can determine the best route through Hoosier country. You can change the settings to avoid tolls.

20 is the scenic route with a bunch of small towns and 35 mph speed limits. However 20 takes you through RV country.. Elkhart and Goshen plus the Amish tourist traps...lol
2015 Backpack SS1500

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Rygar wrote:

depends upon which state you purchase from. in illinois there is a refundable $10 deposit and a minimum deposit of $40 into your account. your account is linked to a credit or debit card (as long as the debit card can be used as a credit card) for auro replenishment of your account...you choose the replenishment amount. we don't use the tollway all that much so we keep the minimum $40 in the account. you can have multiple transponders on an account and you don't need to be an illinois resident to get an i-pass. the i-pass is accepted in all E-Z Pass states and indiana.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle