Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tongue Weight Calculation

Sarge1201
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings From Oregon,

This will be my first of probably many posts/questions. Thank you all first for already giving me tons of knowledge and info.

I recently purchased a 33' travel trailer with a combined (dual) rear axle weight of 7700 lbs loaded. I have calculated my tongue weight at 1500 lbs by running across the scale both with the loaded trailer and without then using subtraction.

Since we want a target tongue weight of around 13 to 15% of the trailer weight, my question is, is the tongue weight included in the trailer weight? In other words, my two trailer axles weigh in at 7700 lbs. But that doesn't include the 1500 lbs that the tongue weighs. If the weight of the tongue is included in the calculation, I'm right on target. However, if not I'm closer to maybe 19% of the trailer weight.

Trying to set up my WDH. Maybe I'm over-thinking.

What do y'all think?

Sarge
10 REPLIES 10

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you've got 1500lbs of tongue weight with the WDH engaged, it's certainly going to be heavier without it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Sarge1201 wrote:
Now that I'm looking at these numbers, its clear that I need to get to a CAT scale. Its difficult to get good weights from a closed truck scale along the road. My trailer axle weights don't really add up.

Lets just ignore this for now and I'll post a new question after I get more accurate numbers.

Fair enough.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Sarge1201
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I'm looking at these numbers, its clear that I need to get to a CAT scale. Its difficult to get good weights from a closed truck scale along the road. My trailer axle weights don't really add up.

Lets just ignore this for now and I'll post a new question after I get more accurate numbers.

Sarge1201
Explorer
Explorer
Well I weighed it with the WDH hooked up and haven't had an opportunity to get back to the scale. This is what I have

LOADED TRUCK/TRAILER WITH WDH
Truck;
Front axle = 4050
Rear axle = 4360

Trailer;
Front axle = 3300
Rear Axle = 3550

TRUCK WITHOUT TRAILER
Front axle = 4000
Rear axle = 2850

So I'm actually 50 lbs heavier on the front truck axle with the trailer. Might need to drop a link on my WDH chains.

I have a bunk house trailer and the only things behind the axles are the bunks and the bathroom. There is a small storage box (outside access) under the bunks but I don't have much space there.

The reason for the post is that I get sway (true sway) above about 50 MPH so I'm trying to fine tune the WDH. It doesn't seem that my TW is too light but then I need to get my weights with the WDH unhooked to get true numbers.

I'm running LT tires on the truck and Goodyear Endurance on the trailer, both "E" rated and all inflated to 80 lbs. The WDH is the Blue OX Sway Pro 2000.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Show us the front and rear axle scale weights of the truck without the trailer, and then the front, rear, and trailer axle weights when hitched without the weight bars hooked up. Then it becomes very easy to calculate the weights.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Sarge1201 wrote:
Got it. Total weight of entire trailer including TW,

Thanks

Correct.

Trailer Weight - 9,200
Tongue Weight - 1,500
Ratio - 16.3%

It still seems a bit high, but if your tow vehicle can handle it, you should be ok.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I just watched yesterday I think, a YouTube vid by Big Truck RV guy about a new fangled receiver hitch w/ built in dial scale for weight. He goes onto say about calculating weight distribution etc. I actually found it quite informative and as for the product review, sounds good. Can be had at e-trailer.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Sarge1201
Explorer
Explorer
Got it. Total weight of entire trailer including TW,

Thanks

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The total weight of the trailer is the sum of the tongue and the two axles.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II