cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tonto Natonal Forest

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We came through the Tonto National Forest yesterday on 77 off of I40 to to 260 to 87, I think.
Really huge conifer and mixed forest. Must be about 8,000 ft on top on 260.
Several campgrounds, and the invasion by Californians is underway, it appears.
No time to investigate fishing but hunting must be great.
lots of signs warning of Elk crossing and Wild Horses too.
a few miles before entering private property and the profileration of junk, trash, clutter and signage of Humans before Penson, there is an Elk Crossing with illuminated electric sign boards warning of the crossing and closer signs and yellow flashing lights...when Elk are present.
The crossing appears to be a 3 ft or so wide concrete path across the roads and at the edge of the woods, a post with sensors and cameras and lights. Apparently when deer are ready to cross the lights go on. A red light to stop the traffic..... I didn't see that, just the warning lights.
I would not take an RV especially a motor home from I40 with the intention of leaving the forest going south. The miles and miles of steep decent would surely lead to lots of ht brakes even burnt brakes.
Beautiful woodlands. I'd like to explore it but at my age and condition..... Might have to saw one leg off as the the slopes are steep and very long, or a lot of rope.
First time to that area but won't be our last.
Oh and the tens of thousands of acres or possible more of burned forest along 87 the Bush Parkway, ostensibly caused by a burning car, is just terrible. The views are spectacular, otherwise.
6 REPLIES 6

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i donโ€™t fish anymore so will have to defer to others about that. sorry.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
It is a nice drive but lots of steep long grades.
We aren't in our Mh but are on the way to get it.
We have enough time after obligations and appointments I hope to revisit Heber-Overgard area or just south of there or maybe east from there a bit.
Planning on stopping on the White River to fish a bit but if there is some trout water, I can handle will forgo the White River.
rk911 what about the fishing or other things?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
a very doable route in a MH from I-40 at Holbrook is south on 77 to 377, then 277 to Heber-Overgaard where you take 260 to Payson and then 87 into Mesa. we do that all the time.

260 from Payson to Show Low and then 77 up to Holbrook through Snowflake or 260 to 277 to Snowflake to 77 at Holbrook are both doable but add time and miles between Holbrook and the Phoenix valley. unless you are specifically wanting to go to Show Low or Snowflake the route i laid out is the fastest and easiest.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven the the route you described from Holbrook, 377/277/260,to Payson continuing on 87 to Mesa many times towing my travel trailer with absolutely no issues or problems. I have also seen many motor homes on this road and have never seen one in distress on the side of the road. IMHO, overheated brakes are more a function of the driver than the grade. If one does not know how to descend a grade there will be problems no matter how slight the grade is. I have ascended and descended 9% grades with ease because I sought the knowledge to do so and applied it. It is not difficult it just takes some education. People from flatter areas have a totally different view of grades than do us westerners. Anything 7% or less is not all that unusual here, and, while they must be taken seriously, in most cases they can't be avoided and must be dealt with. Glad you enjoyed our scenery and hope you come back for the great fishing and hunting.
60 from Payson to the Salt River turn-off was closed for ~2 weeks a month ago for the fire whose damage you saw. It was a terrible time for all of us here in the Valley and going north. I haven't seen it myself yet but will in about week.
My favorite sign on that route has always been one similar to the old Barbasol signs:
They saw an Elk
Oh what a thrill
Until it landed
on their grill
Slow down and watch for wildlife.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I looked it up. It is in Arizona north east of Phoenix.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Their website seems to indicate no campgrounds are open. Dispersed camping is out too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad