cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tough times - Help

barchetta1
Explorer
Explorer
I have fallen on tough times and Ive decided to sell my two properties and retreat to my 5th wheel camper until I can get my life straight again.

I chose a campground in a nice area and found a fantastic site which is very shaded and has a shed. Which is crazy not normal. It also has enough room for my car and truck.

I still work for 2 more months and then unless I find a job I have no income. However, I need to move out right away with my beloved chipoo (about 14 lbs) because I need to get my house on the market and my chipoo will bit people so its just not possible to show it when Im at work and I need it to sell fast and for top dollar which means it needs to be staged and clean at all times.

anyway.. my 5th wheel is a 32 ft bunk 2003 model Terry. Its a nice unit but its up there in years. The campground does not pay for electricity which really bothers me but I am praying the cost isnt too bad since Im in the shade.

My camper is loaded up to hit the road as it always is, pots, pans, coffee maker etc. However, Im looking for advice relative to full time 5th wheel living. Anything tips would be helpful.

A few concerns:

Safety and health of my dog when Im at work. I plan to get a temp monitor of some sort and also Im going to do a webcam. I watch him all day long on webcam and although he has a huge home now he sits on "his sofa" all of the time and looks out the window. So I am not in the least but concerned about the camper being small. If anything he will be more secure in a smaller place. While he does not pee while Im gone now I hope to find someone I can trust at the campground I could pay to take him out for a short bit during the day.

Water heater: Im worried its not rated to run 24/7 full time. Its electric and gas. Should I shut it off when I leave? Should I get some sort of on demand unit? Im only 30amp but I could connect it to 50amp with a aux breaker near by if I need to.

Air conditioner.. the unit was replaced about 5 yrs ago with a coleman.. Other than keeping it clean and changing the filter is there anything I should do. Im very worried about my dog.. but I will do a temp monitor that sends an alert to my phone for sure.

Those are my main concerns.. any advise will be welcomed.
28 REPLIES 28

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
barchetta1 wrote:
I always play music for my dog. I think he will be barky at first but will settle down as the activity becomes normalized.

I hope you're right. As you're aware, campgrounds can be pretty close quarters, and having an unattended barky dog next door is pretty miserable. At least if you're monitoring it with a webcam you can see that it's happening; dogs can smell their owner coming and invariably stop barking before the owner can hear it, so they usually don't even know it's happening.

doxiemom11 wrote:
We leave our 10 gallon heater on electric all the time and it actually runs very little to keep the water hot. You may actually use more power by letting it get cold and re-heating it from cold over and over again. When I am outside by the vent I hear it turn on and shut off and it's usually on for maybe 3 minutes.

Just curious--what kind of water heater do you have? My 10-gallon water heater makes a roaring sound on propane, but it's completely silent on electric. Although I think newer ones may have a relay that might make noise on electric--is that what you're hearing?

I ask because one of the issues I have with Hydro Hot units is the noise they make that nobody ever mentions, and I'm wondering if electric water heaters are now making some sort of racket.

barchetta1 wrote:
My biggest worry: a leak when Im gone. I shut off the water when I leave now but what if I forget and something comes loose? Disaster!

Why not just fill your holding tank and run off that? And if you're super nervous, you can turn off the water pump when you leave.

I fulltime and never stay hooked up to city water (and don't turn off the water pump when I leave). The sight of those hoses under such pressure makes me nervous, and constant use of the fresh water tank keeps the water in there fresher.

barchetta1
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Just the thought of no longer needing the mower, rottiller, chainsaw, weedeater, leaf blower, snowblower, lawn edger, gutter cleaning, painting, tree trimming, property tax, insurance, and other assorted maintenance and costs is very appealing.

Hard part is doing it. Selling and finding some place for all your stuff you have accumulated or getting rid of it is the hard part. I still need to deal with the "stuff" once my place is sold.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Just the thought of no longer needing the mower, rottiller, chainsaw, weedeater, leaf blower, snowblower, lawn edger, gutter cleaning, painting, tree trimming, property tax, insurance, and other assorted maintenance and costs is very appealing.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would not get overly concerned about water being on, modern RV'S have used pex lines for many years now. It's the same stuff used in homes. Now that I'm retired I wish I had done what your contemplating. When I started working home computers were just being introduced. I would check however to make sure your frig is not on a modification list for a burner shield at be installed and temp limit switch. You can go on line and check the serial number. The modification is free. Your Terry Quantum is a good trailer, if you keep it maintained roof maintenance is very important you should get several more years out of it. RV'S are a depreciating asset. Good luck with your new adventure.

Forgot to add I have a seasonal summer site. I enjoy the company of people at the campground like minded adventurous people. I bought a scooter to run to the store and explore on, about 60 mpg and fun. Bought it used for a very good price 500cc Kimco xciting.

You can build a good nest egg and upgrade when you feel the need.

barchetta1
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We leave our 10 gallon heater on electric all the time and it actually runs very little to keep the water hot. You may actually use more power by letting it get cold and re-heating it from cold over and over again. When I am outside by the vent I hear it turn on and shut off and it's usually on for maybe 3 minutes. We have been full-time since 2011 and have used our water heater continuously except when going down the road.

thanks. It probably depends on the quality of insulation the water heater has more than anything. AND the ambient temperature. On a 80 degree day plus it probably doesnt have to run all that much. In the winter its probably very busy when below 50f.

I plan to move as soon as a spot opens up at a campground that includes electric. I dont know how they do it but they have been in business for years so it must work out for them.

In the last 3 weeks Im learning alot about full time living in a fifth wheel and Im seriously thinking about doing this for the rest of my life. Id upgrade from my 2003 Terry Quantum once I sell my properties to a 4 season fifth or TT but I really think I could save a lot of money and in the right campground with the right people I think Id enjoy it.

Of course, I havent had a major problem yet and expect one but thats how I feel now..

My biggest worry: a leak when Im gone. I shut off the water when I leave now but what if I forget and something comes loose? Disaster!

There is technology though that can detect a leak and shut off the main water spigot. I do use a regulator but I do notice it doesnt really keep the pressure low when all faucets are off. Though; it keeps it "lower".

Today my first issue: My dog got fleas! Off to the vet.. poor little guy..

Also; internet sucks.. and I need it for my work... so may need to look into wireless but cant afford that right now.

One other thing I learned.. I have a bunk house fifth.. and that extra storage area is nice!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We leave our 10 gallon heater on electric all the time and it actually runs very little to keep the water hot. You may actually use more power by letting it get cold and re-heating it from cold over and over again. When I am outside by the vent I hear it turn on and shut off and it's usually on for maybe 3 minutes. We have been full-time since 2011 and have used our water heater continuously except when going down the road.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully a quick sale.

barchetta1
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
I hope things are improving for you, it sounds like you are making proactive solutions. One thing about a RV is you can travel with your house to job location. It's sure a different world then when I grew up. Very seldom do you see people in the same job now for 40 years.

Thank you. Im slowly settling in to the rv. Trying to get organized with what I need and make sure the rv is leakproof. I put a temperature sensor in and a webcam so I can make sure my dog is ok.

House just went on the market. if it doesnt sell quickly Im in a whole lotta trouble.

I agree, Im totally mobile.. I can move ANYWHERE. Im done with cold.. even in SC it gets cold so thinking florida or nevada, AZ, who knows...

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I hope things are improving for you, it sounds like you are making proactive solutions. One thing about a RV is you can travel with your house to job location. It's sure a different world then when I grew up. Very seldom do you see people in the same job now for 40 years.

lucyjohn987
Explorer
Explorer
Totally agree with cavie, and Good luck to you dear, obviously good days will come soon.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
barchetta1 wrote:
The money isnt free. When you sell your home you owe the debt. Thus, its debt. Now if you plan to die and pass the debt onto your family and arent concerned with leaving them something I suppose you could say its not personal debt ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree the money isn't free. They get your house for it. Hence the name reverse mortgage. But anyway back to the topic. Good luck on your adventure living in your camper. I hope to be living in my own in a few years.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

barchetta1
Explorer
Explorer
The money isnt free. When you sell your home you owe the debt. Thus, its debt. Now if you plan to die and pass the debt onto your family and arent concerned with leaving them something I suppose you could say its not personal debt ๐Ÿ™‚

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
barchetta1 wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
My advice.... look into a reverse mortgage and stay in your home. Sell the other property for additional income.

Not enough equity and Im going out of debt not into further debt. I would recommend this to no one. Anyone believing this is good advice should listen/read Dave Ramsey. Horrible horrible advice and the norm for americans.

I agree it is not for everyone. But in some cases where there is no money coming in due to not planning for retirement, it is a viable option. It doesn't put you into any debt. They pay you a monthly mortgage payment. Of course you do need to own the home outright.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

barchetta1
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
File for unemployment benefits.

Get food stamps and energy aid

Not quite there yet.. I am on severance.. Im making all of these decisions well in advance to avoid going down to this level of self sustaining. I stand on my two feet and will not burden tax payers unless I truly need assistance.