cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Jeep Liberty 4wd with a dolly

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at purchasing a MH. Does anyone tow a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4wd on a dolly? The manual says not to, however you can tow it 4 down by putting the transfer case in neutral. It just seems if disengaged shouldn't it be towable on a dolly.

The dealer and Chrysler are useless to ask. They don't know.
26 REPLIES 26

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
et2 wrote:
We are looking at purchasing a MH. Does anyone tow a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4wd on a dolly? The manual says not to, however you can tow it 4 down by putting the transfer case in neutral. It just seems if disengaged shouldn't it be towable on a dolly.

The dealer and Chrysler are useless to ask. They don't know.

If you don't mind climbing underneath and unbolting the rear drive shaft from the diff and tying it up to the undercarriage for towing each time, shouldn't be a problem, you'll even be able to leave the transmission in park as the rear wheels will be spinning free without engaging the transfer case or transmission at all.

This is the standard procedure for towing a 4x4 truck for an extended distance (in neutral on the transfer case is usually only meant for short distance) with a wrecker, your dolly setup would be similar, with the front wheels not engaging the road way.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Too_Young_to_Re
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new Ford F-150. I was surprised to read in the manual that if towed, it needs to be 4 up. So, no wheels on the ground. Ford wants it on a trailer. I don't understand it. Not that I was planning on towing it. Just thought it was interesting.
2018 RAM 3500HD MegaCab,hauling a 2020 Mobile Suites, and loving it.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
If you have the ability disconnect both front and rear driveshafts. that`s the only way you can tow it on a dolly.

If the front was on a dolly why would you have to disconnect the front driveshaft?

Yep, your right. blew right past that one! yes no reason to disconnect the front if it`s on a dolly.

Thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
et2 wrote:
The reason I wanted a dolly is our lease will be up next year and we will be getting a new vehicle. It gets costly changing base plates every few years. This way I could tow just about anything on a dolly, except a jeep I guess.

I know a great way to keep from changing base plates every few years.....don't fleece, I mean lease. Why don;t you buy the vehicle and just keep it 10 plus years??????????

Because my wife wants a new car. Besides, I wouldn't even consider towing a 10 plus year old car. For your safety as well as mine, but that is just me. Everyone has there preference.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
If you have the ability disconnect both front and rear driveshafts. that`s the only way you can tow it on a dolly.

If the front was on a dolly why would you have to disconnect the front driveshaft?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

twmw1126
Explorer
Explorer
I tow mine 4 wheel down. Never had any problems what so ever. A lot easier than using a dolly. Would have to find a place to put when at campground. Sometimes not a lot of room at sites to store something like a dolly.
Mickey & Teri
2012 Damon Challenger 37KT
2007 Jeep Liberty with blueox tow bar

et2
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Wow! It would be a shame to put the money into it if you're giving it up next year. Is that your only vehicle or do you have one to 'make do' until next year? Also, if you're not planning any long trips, perhaps your wife could drive your Liberty separately when you go RVing. Many RVers do that and it's only a temporary thing. Summer is about over. ๐Ÿ™‚

This fall will be a new Jeep 'Liberty' named 'Cherokee' (different from Grand Cherokee). It sounds great with 30 mpg. We will be looking into it. We have absolutely loved our automatic Liberty for the past 8 years. It's given un many fun times off-roading and no special requirements for towing it 4-down.

I agree. The wife will stay home if I made her drive the jeep behind the motor home. In 30 years of marriage one learns not to ask certain things. I have a company car that I can't tow no matter what. So that leaves me where I'm at. I might buy it after the lease is up or just trade it in. It only has 8000 miles on it.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:

I'm looking at the manual as we speak - again. Nowhere does it mention not to tow it on a dolly. There is instructions for 2wd towing on a dolly by the rear wheels. The 4wd can be flat towed but nothing stating not to put it on a dolly (4wd). So that leaves you to wonder if with the trans disconnect a dolly tow would work for the 4wd.

Look on page 426 of your manual under the "CAUTION" column. It explains it there.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
The reason I wanted a dolly is our lease will be up next year and we will be getting a new vehicle. It gets costly changing base plates every few years. This way I could tow just about anything on a dolly, except a jeep I guess.

I know a great way to keep from changing base plates every few years.....don't fleece, I mean lease. Why don;t you buy the vehicle and just keep it 10 plus years??????????

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
On my Chevy Silverado 4WD it states to tow with all 4 down, Automatic transmission in park and transfer case in neutral. This will allow all four wheels to turn freely and independently without the transmission and transfer case turning. The manual also states not to tow with rear wheels down and front wheels up as there is no provision for the transmission to lubricate itself and it will be damaged.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! It would be a shame to put the money into it if you're giving it up next year. Is that your only vehicle or do you have one to 'make do' until next year? Also, if you're not planning any long trips, perhaps your wife could drive your Liberty separately when you go RVing. Many RVers do that and it's only a temporary thing. Summer is about over. ๐Ÿ™‚

This fall will be a new Jeep 'Liberty' named 'Cherokee' (different from Grand Cherokee). It sounds great with 30 mpg. We will be looking into it. We have absolutely loved our automatic Liberty for the past 8 years. It's given un many fun times off-roading and no special requirements for towing it 4-down.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

et2
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
et2 wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Yes Chrysler does know. We (yes we) put it right in the owners manual!

No! It cannot be towed on a dolly period. Serious damage will occur to the powertrain. 4X4 vehicles like these need to have all four wheels turning even when the t-case in in "N". There, you heard it direct from a Jeep engineer.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the person answering the phone at the Chrysler help desk wasn't helpful. Nor was the dealer.

I'm looking at the manual as we speak - again. Nowhere does it mention not to tow it on a dolly. There is instructions for 2wd towing on a dolly by the rear wheels. The 4wd can be flat towed but nothing stating not to put it on a dolly (4wd). So that leaves you to wonder if with the trans disconnect a dolly tow would work for the 4wd.

Actually the General RV service guy explained it in a way I could understand. There is too much of a angle (on 4wd jeeps) when being on the dolly and won't allow for the proper fluid circulation.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

In your first post you said the manual says don't do it and now in this post you say the manual doesn't say that. I had a Jeep Liberty, a Jeep Wrangler, and now a Dodge Dakota and I'm pretty sure the manuals for all say do not tow with two wheels off the ground with the exception of short distance emergency towing.

I did say that, I misspoke. I read online that someone said it was in the manual not too (another forum). In my manual towing on a dolly with 4wd isn't noted as " do not do it".
Hence the question. I looked at least three times. As I did say 2wd is mentioned to dolly tow rear wheels up.

No big deal - getting it rigged for 4 down.

EDIT: I've been looking at the user guide. I forgot they don't have paperback manuals anymore. After downloading the CD "owners" manual it's there as clear as day. No tow dolly. Sorry if I offended anyone,

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
The only way you could to that on a dolly is with a rear drive line disconnect. another grand. Might as well trade it early
Winnebago Access 24V