cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a toad

Not applicable
Fed up with rental car agencies, I want to buy a bar and tow car. Looking at a Blue Ox pulling a Jeep 2 door wrangler, or similar.. questionโ€ฆany issues with either choices or is it as simple as it appears ..those are most of what I see everywhere.
20 REPLIES 20

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to agree with craig7h.
I was in the automobile business for 30 years, so always had numerous options of what I wanted to take with us on a trip. So, I found that a Demco all-galvanized dolly with surge brakes fit our needs the best (plus I used it in my business extensively).
Although it limited us to a FWD vehicle, sometimes it was a small van, sometimes a very economical puddle-jumper, and sometimes our own personal Audi A4 convertible. We never had any issues with what to do with the dolly when we reached our destination, and with a drop-down front wheel added, although the dolly was heavy, it was still very maneuverabile.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jeep and blue ox, a good start. for all prospective toads, be sure to check owner's manual for towing behind a motor home, recreational towing, etc.
bumpy

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Personally I've always preferred ready brute elite tow bars with built in surge brakes. No need to buy an additional braking system for the toad, it's mechanical so less to fail and super simple to hook up.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I towed assorted vehicles with a blue ox tow bar.. Good product very happy with it.

Make sure you get a good aux-brake system for the Jeep. there are several out there. But I'm going to drop them into 2.2 classes.

First is the Box in the driver's seat.. Like Brake Buddy.. They say "No installation required" but the fact is you need to install it every time you tow (They mean no drilling or cable routing) and it eats power off the towed's battery.... EVERY TIME YOU TOW.. it's a chance to mess up the install or to say "oh what the heck.... I"m only going a short distance. I'll just forget it"
Both are not good.

2.1 and 2.2 are installed systems Either electrically opeerated (.1) or if you have a diesel MH with air brakes (Or a gasser with an air compressor) air operated (.2) These systems are "invisible" far as the towed's driver is concerned. they are there full time and it only takes a couple seconds to plug it in and unplug it.. and in some cases not even that.. No motive to "oh forget it".

Very good systems.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Great product - note check out weight of the tow bars - do not take it off and on very often but the bars very in weight 31-42 lbs
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
My original tow set up was the jeep wrangler and blue ox. For me it was a good set up. However now I am using a tow dolly as the jeep became to hard for DW to get in and out of. Plus the dolly gives more car options.

I tried to find the lists of cars you can tow 4 down, but could not find. It seems to get harder and harder to find cars able to tow 4 down.

Good Luck, never did understand the rental thing
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly