Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Travel Trailer without WDH from Dealer

allanstewy
Explorer
Explorer
Newby here.

So I'm looking at a Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS. 22.5 Feet, 4,215LB Dry with 412 LB Hitch weight that I need to tow about 500 miles from dealer lot.

Using a 2020 F150 with tow package. I realize I will need a WDH when I load it with stuff but if it comes from the dealer dry weight means dry weight right?.

I think my max hitch weight is 500 pounds without WDH so I'm within specs but can it be towed safely without WDH or Sway control?

Thanks..
29 REPLIES 29

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Why didn't the dealer throw in a WD Hitch. Most give a cheapie but it would be good enough to get home. Buy one now. Why make a long unsafe drive home without a proper hitch?

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your 500 mile trip will be 10 hours of turning the wheels. Count on 12 hours with food and gas stops. For a rookie driver that is a LOOOONG day or two comfortable days.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Gene_K_2
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Gonna need WDH eventually so why wait to purchase before getting trailer?

Slow and easy (55 mph) until you see how it tows.....but wouldn't press the speed much higher

Trailer gets to swaying it can compound quickly

Use trailer manual lever on brake controller to get it back under control

If those are actual measured weights I would be concerned about sway with a travel trailer. I would be less concerned about it if those are published weights and you actually weigh it and it's more like 4500 lb and 550 lb even if you are 50 lb over the WC rating. Not advising you to exceed Ford's 500 lb Max WC for the F150... but an under 10% tongue weight on a tt scares me a lot more.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
allanstewy wrote:
Newby here.

So I'm looking at a Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS. 22.5 Feet, 4,215LB Dry with 412 LB Hitch weight that I need to tow about 500 miles from dealer lot.

I wouldn't get a wdh for it at all, likely. You will certainly be fine towing it home. There is a common misconception in much of the Travel Trailer community that a wdh is like required gear, pretty much regardless of the pairing.
I believe it stems from several things, not the least of which is new, inexperienced people being persuaded by RV salesmen.
Before the wdh cops try to arrest me, yes I understand that some situations require it due to the weight of the trailer and the capability of the truck, and similar for sway control systems.
And I also "hear" that it is a much more "relaxed" towing experience.
IDK, never used one, but I've towed various size trailers from 500lbs to 20,000lbs behind most every kind of pickup in most every kind of road/weather condition and have had very few "white knuckle" drives. Sure, can tell when the trailer is a little pudgy for the truck, and can really tell when you're grossly overloaded or have far too little tongue weight, but none of that is the case with your trailer and truck.

That said, a 2 ton trailer with only 400-500lbs tongue weight behind a new F150, any model is somewhere between just fine and childs play for the truck.

Have at 'er with confidence. Hope this helps.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Tv installed sway controll isnt the same as a sway controll arm. The factory one on the vehicle kicks in after sway is detected. The arm on the hitch prevents that feom happening in the first place. So there is a diffrence. I would rather get the one that prevents the sway to begin with.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine to tow it home. Also the F150 has built in sway control. And I can tell you the built in sway control feature works very well! I hav it on our 13 Explorer. Towing a 3 place snowmobile trailer I hit a section of ice. I wasn't going very fast because of the conditions, but I could feel amd see the trailer wiggle and I could feel the system working in the Explorer. I wouldn't not get a sway control system because of it, but it's nice to know it's there.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I would get the weight distribution hitch and sway control before driving 500 miles, 50 miles ok but 500. Weather,cross winds, trucks.
Dry weight. Depends on RV manufacturers definition. Brochure # or more accurate sticker on trailer as it left the assembly line (more accurate). Is it for a base unit, no options? Propane tanks, even empty, ~40lbs on tongue, maybe the dealer filled them ++, battery one required for break-a-way system.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
That is a long day even if everything goes according to plan. I would probably have a plan B if you attempt without WD and it is white knuckle city.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
wdh set up properly will help with the tow... not set up correctly, you'll be fighting the tow experience

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
find a trailer only shop in that area, have things installed there ,better price and they,ll walk you threw things. after you pick up the rv stop back there and they,ll help you on your way. done this one time in texas worked out great. most rv sales people don,t know poop about a hitch, except he,s gonna get a check.on what ever he can sell you.

allanstewy
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
If it starts to sway slowly apply the brake controller and it should bring it back in line and slow everything down.

Thanks, will definitely do that.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A hitch weight of less than ten percent is asking for sway IMO. I prefer 14%.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
If it starts to sway slowly apply the brake controller and it should bring it back in line and slow everything down.

allanstewy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok good to know, I've never set one up so maybe I'll ask if the Dealer sells them and can connect / show me how to use it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gonna need WDH eventually so why wait to purchase before getting trailer?

Slow and easy (55 mph) until you see how it tows.....but wouldn't press the speed much higher

Trailer gets to swaying it can compound quickly

Use trailer manual lever on brake controller to get it back under control
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31