Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Travel Trailer without WDH from Dealer

allanstewy
Explorer
Explorer
Newby here.

So I'm looking at a Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS. 22.5 Feet, 4,215LB Dry with 412 LB Hitch weight that I need to tow about 500 miles from dealer lot.

Using a 2020 F150 with tow package. I realize I will need a WDH when I load it with stuff but if it comes from the dealer dry weight means dry weight right?.

I think my max hitch weight is 500 pounds without WDH so I'm within specs but can it be towed safely without WDH or Sway control?

Thanks..
29 REPLIES 29

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
This could go back and forth forever. Thread closed.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Ok ,my 2 cents worth a little less then that. Get the wdh. You need to get a hotch anyway, one that lines up with the trailor. So onstead of getting something to tow it home that you will not use, get the wdh now and have both peace of mind and save some $$$. Unless you have a variety of hitches stashed in the garage. Lol.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kavoom wrote:
I would go WDH some would not and see quite adamant about convincing you you don't need one...

Do what feels best for you...

Agreed.
However, I wonder how many people who are "adamant" that a wdh is required have towed anything else significant besides their TT?

I fully understand the purpose and "need" if it's "needed." But I do not understand the somewhat universal sentiment that if you move a TT father than re-positioning it in your driveway that you will regret not having a wdh.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
allanstewy wrote:
Well I misspoke it's a 5 hour drive not 500 miles, also this dealer is 3-4k cheaper than anyone else which is why I'm not buying from one closer. It does have two 30 pound propane tanks so that might put me over the 500 pound hitch weight if that's not included in dry.

I'll purchase one from them, seems the best advice from everyone here. Thanks!!

You know, do what feels right for you forget the rest of us on both sides. I would go WDH some would not and see quite adamant about convincing you you don't need one...

Do what feels best for you...

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The facts: not one on here will now. Every TV/TT combo is a little different. Based on Ratings, seem to me cutting it close because the dry TW rating is often without options (many of which are mandatory). The high profile of TTs are more influenced by wind than any other trailer type.

What is the risk and what is the reward? Risks? Trailer sway due to light front end of TV and possible winds on any random day you choose to tow. It seems that you have some experience towing other TV/TT combos and understand enough physics to react to the situations. Reward: Might save $500 max? I dunno about that savings today.

I purchased my TT from a dealer 2 hours away and paid $600 for Reese Strait Line installed. I could have saved $150 buying that WDH online and installed it myself. Installation is a couple hour process including adjustment. The most likely case based on feedback n this forum is the RV dealer does not adjust correctly for your TV/TT combo. That risk can be mitigated by learning how to adjust and double checking the dealer's installation/adjustment.

If it were me: If the dealer was willing to install my desired WDH for <$200, I'd let them try. It is their service department's job and they likely install hundreds (thousands) every year. Statistically they are probably at least 95% right or their reviews/ratings would stink. Those 5% tend to complain, loudly. But for $200+ delta cost, I'd be willing to tow that with your truck without WDH/sway control. I believe Ford recommend only restoring 25% removed front axle weight with WDH, so Ford engineers think the stability should still be good with a relatively light front end at even 1200 ponds of TW, let alone <500.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Our 1st TT was similar to what you're getting. It was the same length but only 7' wide. It weighed what your's is empty. Tongue weight was around 500 lbs loaded. Towed it with an F150 as well.
Your F150 will tow that all day without issue straight from the dealer. The axle placement on the TT will make it tow straight with minimal wiggle.
I wouldn't worry about being 10-50 lbs over the receiver rating if in fact you are at all. I'd just hitch that TT up and go. Your truck is more than enough to handle it.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
How do you "find the hitch you like" when you have absolutely no idea what you're looking at? "I like that one because it has a lot of shiny parts on it?"

I too am surprised the RV dealer didn't try to upsell you on a WDH.

The main issue with travel trailers is they're designed to have as little tongue weight as possible so they can be towed with the smallest possible tow vehicle. You have PLENTY of tow vehicle for the weight, but travel trailer designers put the axles much too close to the center of mass of the trailer, making them more sensitive to not having quite enough tongue weight, and necessitating a WDH with sway control for "belt and supenders" protection.

Dry, that trailer is definitely too light on the tongue.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
Find the hitch you like. Then download the manual and read it so you have an idea on how the hitch is installed and adjusted. Even if you don't install the hitch yourself you will have a better understanding of how the hitch is installed and works. I like the safety of a WD hitch.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

allanstewy
Explorer
Explorer
Well I misspoke it's a 5 hour drive not 500 miles, also this dealer is 3-4k cheaper than anyone else which is why I'm not buying from one closer. It does have two 30 pound propane tanks so that might put me over the 500 pound hitch weight if that's not included in dry.

I'll purchase one from them, seems the best advice from everyone here. Thanks!!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
4300 dry? I would just roll as is. If you get in a cross wind or have handling issues slow down or wait out the storm. All will probably be fine with a smooth easy drive... just don't ignore if you get a bit of a warning.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s a lot of money invested to risk guessing if it will be ok. Nobody can say without trying but by then itโ€™s probably too late.

Get the hitch first and have the dealer install it. Better yet, learn how to set it up yourself. Youโ€™re going to need to adjust it again once itโ€™s loaded anyways. Lots of good tutorials to watch online.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Why do you not want to get the WDH ahead of the trip? If it tows poorly what is your plan? If you know that you need one in the long run why wait?
I'm not sure I understand the logic in going without?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a WDH before hand you can get the model of your choice not what the dealer is pushing.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't do it!!! You get into any type of evasive maneuver and it's all over. Set it up properly right from the beginning.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD