cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with 4cyl Sorento?

sdmia49
Explorer
Explorer
My 19 Kia Sorento (4 cylinder) has a 2000 pound towing capacity. Bought a used Pop Up that weighs 1200.
If we take our time and travel slow, will we be successful towing about 2.5 hours away in some foothill mountain regions? Thanks for all info and tips!
35 REPLIES 35

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suggest that you load gear into the camper that you plan to leave in it for your camping trips. Then, take it and get it weighed. Look for a nearby CAT scale facility. I think if you go to their web site, there is information on how to weigh an RV. By getting it weighed, you can see what your actual weight is and then you can determine how you need to proceed. But, using a second vehicle for the family and extra gear sounds like a very good idea. It's so much better to play it safe.

Check the tires....if they are over 5 years old, replace them. Camper tires rot out before they wear out the tread (for most folks) and you don't want to experience a blow out while towing it!

Make sure added weight to the popup is evenly distribute or have slightly more weight forward of the axle. Too much weight in the rear can cause trailer sway.

Good luck and I hope you can enjoy many great camping trips!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

sdmia49
Explorer
Explorer
It is a very old, 1994 I believe, Palomino Colt. The ice chest isn't in it anymore. It doesn't have any added options aside from an awning (no AC, no heater, etc).
We dry camp and won't bother filling the water tank. (We usually tent, we wanted to try the pop up as a small 'upgrade'). I can't see how the awning would add too much weight.
It has standard 4 pin electric harness plug. I didn't realize I also need a battery? I apologize, I am brand new to all this, hence the post here.
So we could do all gear/people in one car, and then the Sorento just to tow.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
You will be close to your limits. The weight of the pup dosent include anything like propane tank, battery ( needed for the breakes) water , awning, etc. All this stuff adds weight to the pop up. This is addition to any gear added. What pup do you have and what options?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

sdmia49
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much!
It would be 4 people plus gear, but we are pretty much 99% certain taking a second car for passengers and gear, and just using the Sorento for towing empty PU.
Thank you for the brake controller tip - will be researching that today!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should be fine! Keep an eye on your temps and downshift manually for engine braking going downhill. The PU should have brakes since you need them over 1000 lbs in NY. Get a good brake controller like the Prodigy. You don't say how many passengers but if you have full seats and gear in the back, steep grades will be a challenge.

Post up when you get back and let us know how the trip went!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best of luck with your plan.