Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Hitch/Accident Concerns

merc1100sc
Explorer
Explorer
All,

Last week I was rearended in my 2016 2500HD by a smaller Chevy Cruise I think it was. The front of the car was banged up pretty bad. My trailer hitch took the most of the impact. There aren't any visible signs of damage but should I be concerned with the integrity of the hitch for towing?

I tow a Work and Play 28WPT.

Thoughts and concerns..

Thanks
28 REPLIES 28

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are why insurance rates are high.
You mean well but if it isn’t visiby damaged, that hitch is fine.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
My MH was rear ended back in August. The insurance adjuster put the hitch replacement on the claim. Better that than have a failure later due to a cracked weld. Hitches are cheap compared to what can happen if it fails.

X2, when our old tundra was rear ended only damage was a dent in the bumper. The insurance company insisted on replacing the hitch too. Cheap to do and relieves them of liability
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
They rear ended you. I would be off to the best frame shop I could find to have the frame gauged on the rear enders dime. As heavy as these trucks are I still wouldn't take a chance as if something moved or bent it may not show up until later. The hitch is relatively nothing.

These trucks are too expensive to let something like that go.

X2 Depending on the speed you were rear ended that energy had to go somewhere.

I would definitely have the frame measured for any damage.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
They hit you so right now it's their problem and it should be replaced. You keep it and 8 months from now it fails and your trailer wipes out a mini van with a family inside it's now your problem. Why risk that.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I was rear ended in my 2500 HD and I insisted they give me a new hitch.
They did.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
My whole problem with the inspection is that it is going to be some $15/hr junior mechanic with a trouble light doing a casual VISUAL inspection. "I don't see anything." Completely worthless.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

CR_CRUISER
Explorer
Explorer
I hit some black ice and spun out in my then new Dodge Dakota. The hitch receiver smacked on the concrete divider. There wasn't a scratch anywhere else on the back of the truck but the hitch looked like it might be bent.
I tool it to friend's body shop and the repair bill was around $3K. The frame was bent along with the hitch.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is all about the liability and who has it. They hit you, you told us they were at fault. Right now they have the liability.

Many insurance adjusters who inspect a rear ended crash where a towing hitch is involved, automatically replace the receiver as standard practice. If they looked at it, stated it was OK and then it fails while you are towing, they have assumed a level of liability. When they declare to have it changed, they shed the liability and it is now back on the OEM of the receiver has the liability and not the insurance company. These receivers are too cheap to even think about assuming liability of them.

And for sure have a respected dealership or repair shop inspect the truck frame. While these trucks are heavy they are no where heavy like they use it be. For sure get the frame inspected.

Glad you came out OK.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I was rear ended a year ago and the adjuster asked about the hitch (class V) and my reply, I tow a 8000+ TT. No problem insurance replaced the hitch.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you have full coverage on your truck, I'd go through your own insurance company. Pay the deductible and the insurance company will pay you back once the claim is paid by the other persons company.

Their insurance company will try to pay out as little as possible, and if you relay your concerns to your own insurance company, they will probably respond better, especially since they aren't the one paying.

Good luck!

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Good deal on asking for a new oem hitch. If they balk, remind them of the very heavy trailer your towing and the low cost of a new hitch, the potential for small cracks that cannot be detected with the naked eye, and if they will accept the liability if the hitch fails at some point and hurts or kills someone because their insured rear ended your truck.

I'd think they will have a change of heart pretty quick. Also, tell them you want the frame gaged and you want a printout of the results. Good luck!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If they go for it replacement would be great. If not, then have it inspected. It’s probably OK being it’s a class 5 hitch it sees quite a bit of force with a hitch on it. And seeing it was a Cruze the force was minimal.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
merc1100sc wrote:
I have reached out to the insurance company and requested a replacement.

Good idea! get it replaced. It will be worth it in peace of mind for you when towing.

Jesseannie

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph’s comment x2. Better to inspect..check.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad