cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer tire issues?

thskilla0069
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving tuesday for 2900 mile move. Trailer is 7k and I have 1200 on tongue and 7300 on back axles. I know trailer is over loaded but didn't have choice. Trailer is brand new and tires are rated at 1820 lbs a piece. Since I am pretty much at max on the back, do you think it'll make the 2900 trip without blowouts. I have them at the 50 max psi and plan to not go over 65 even if it's 80mph speed limit. I know it'll wear tires faster but I don't care this is only trip this mew trailer will have with this much weight. I would think keeping speed down the tires should make it maxed for 3k miles when they brand new. Any insight?
31 REPLIES 31

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what it is about some of the utility trailer tires. I got Tow Max on mine that came on it 15 years ago. They have been totally overloaded for local use.

I have also loaned it out to neighbors for trips like SC and VA. I give them the old travel at your own risk and here is a spare. you think they never went over 65? :B

The stems got rotten and had to be replaced and I am still trucking. Can't figure this one out. :h

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you will be fine using your specs.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's called sarcasm, TAGLARRY.

Now while this is a moot point, if you know a little about engineering you would have known that you had an excellent chance of success.

The GVWR's on most utility trailers is a bit arbitrary. They only rate them based on combined axle capacity, completely ignoring the tongue weight capacity. There's absolutely no reason you can't max out the axles AND have at least 15 percent of that as tongue weight. You are not exceeding any of the design limitations of the trailer, just the arbitrary GVWR number.

As to exceeding the axle ratings, well, you never had a chance of getting a firm answer on that one because, well, you never know. Anything can happen. The odds of anything bad happening being only a few hundred pounds overweight were slim to none, but still present. Having a new trailer with fresh tires helped a LOT. You'd be much more likely to have problems with an old trailer with 6-year-old tires for example.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

TAGLARRY
Explorer
Explorer
busterbrown73 wrote:
If a failure happens and damage (and/or injury) occurs, you can prove it to law enforcement that you asked here first before commencement of your cross country move and you'll be free and clear of any fault. I'm pretty sure that a trailer with a 7,000 lb GVWR was engineered to those specs, not over. Especially in the day and age of lite weights where materials are minimalistic at best.

:h

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good to hear!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

thskilla0069
Explorer
Explorer
Well we made the 3000 miles without error. Now to find a house and unload it and go pick up a smaller load and do another 1000 miles. Much lighter the next trip.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
thskilla0069 wrote:
I just put them at 50 with them cold which is max it days. I plan to run around with my gauge and check them every stop to make sure they don't go low. Hard to tell cause so much weight has them squashed. If they don't feel too good I'll throw 10 more in them.

They will probably gain that 10 extra pounds once you start driving after 20-30 miles.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also pick up an IR thermometer from Harbor Freight and check the temp of both the bearings and tires every time you stop. If they start heating up to anything hotter than you can comfortably touch (especially if one gets hotter than the rest), figure what's wrong and correct it before you end up in the ditch.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You're only a tad over and should be fine, but you also likely have cheapo tires being OE tires.
Couple options, spend about $50 a tire extra by buying some good d load tires and then selling your new used current tires.
Or unload some stuff out of the trailer.
Or turn the radio up and mirrors down where you can watch your tires, lol.
I've hauled the same I'm sure, typically without issue.

One thing you want to make sure, being a new trailer, I'm guessing it has torsion spring axles. They are VERY sensitive to weight distribution between the 2 axles. No modulation like leafs with the rocker in between them. Make sure your trailer is as close as possible to dead nuts level with everything loaded up. Nose or tail high much at all will put more load on one axle than the other. Also being new, if they're grease able hubs, make sure they're actually packed full of grease. Same if they're oil bath I suppose. Mfgs sometimes screw this up and Mirage doesn't have the best rep in the snowmobile community for quality or QC. As with anything new from a small mfg, a dry run is in order so you're not working out the bugs on the side of the road.

Good luck on the move.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
thskilla0069 wrote:
I just put them at 50 with them cold which is max it days. I plan to run around with my gauge and check them every stop to make sure they don't go low. Hard to tell cause so much weight has them squashed. If they don't feel too good I'll throw 10 more in them.

IF you go using a tire gauge at every stop you WILL end up under-inflated

Get an IR Gun and use it ....check TEMPS
Under-inflated tire WILL get hotter
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you get two spare tires with load range D
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, considering the load and distance, I would keep my speed down even further. The lost time and damage from a blowout can be significant. Particularly when going thru the hot areas I would take it very easy on the speed. Safe travels.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

thskilla0069
Explorer
Explorer

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
air them up to 10 over and roll on.

This
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD