cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Centers America

Henry
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped at Santa Rosa New Mexico to re-fuel diesel at TA and found that I could not use my credit card at the diesel pump because it only took fleet cards.
If you stop there you'll have to go inside, give them your card, go back fill up, go back inside get your receipt.
Won't do that again!
Henry Holley
Snyder, Texas
2006 Chevy 3500, 6600 DuraMax
2004 Cardinal 33TS
26 REPLIES 26

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Road Runners wrote:
I find that Travel Centers of America have higher prices for their fuel. I avoid them whenever possible.

I find 'trucker centers' (TA, FJ/Pilot etc.) have higher prices so I go down the road and refuel at regular stations
I don't know where that is, but around here, Flying J is usually quite a bit cheaper than anything around them.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
muelldawg wrote:
I thought I was the only person to do that! Thanks WyoTraveler being old fashion.
Maybe it is an age thing, I qualify for that, but I do it because DW told me to & I don't like sleeping with one eye open, (she takes care of the finances) I just do the spending part. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I like T&A and Love too. T&A is better for eating, but Love has quicker in and out access.

I avoid Flying J.

Valero and Murphy are my favorites for low cost, even if they are harder to get into and out of. Wish Murphy was closer to the freeway, although they are near a Wal Mart so that helps.

Mostly I fuel after we unhook in the evening so it is not an issue for me.

Everywhere I have ever been they keep the keys and vehicle until you pay.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
What is the purpose of getting a receipt?

2 reasons for getting a receipt:
1) So you have proof that the $100 bill you gave to the attendant
does not register as $80. and the clerk says you only gave me
$80.

2) What happened to me years ago Chevron somehow formulated their
regular fuel with Diesel mixed in. All of us with valid proof of purchase were able to file claims and have the corresponding vehicle manufacturer dealer drain and repair any damages.

jb
32' Fleetwood Southwind,
Chevrolet HHR with Stowmaster
"Wrong side of the fence for the rest of the State of California"

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
FUEL prices (at Petro/Flying J) is HIGHER at the truck island (unless you pay cash)....

Fuel at the RV islands (again petro/flying j) - when paying by credit or debit (and using the frequent fueler card) is the same as cash.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
It's basically a security issue.

At the auto island, you can pay at the pump, but you will probably be limited to $75-$100 per swipe, and a limit of 2 swipes. That's because they can't ID you or enter the code on the back of your card. That dollar amount limit is set by the station, but it usually coincides with how much grace the card issuer extends to the merchant. And those dollar amounts satisfy most auto fillups.

At the truck island, just about every purchase is going to exceed that card limit, and they want to cover themselves by actually having the card, the code on the back, and possibly verifying your second ID. Or having you enter your PIN.

I just stick to the auto islands, because I don't like going inside while sitting at the pump, and I can live with 2 swipes. And it's easy to do with our smaller rig.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
wow, had to walk all of what 100 feet.
I have walked further for lower price per gallon.
Anyway, while we fuel we walk around. Take the pups out. Go inside and maybe see what they have. We've learned that doing that every time we fuel up is good for you.

I've have waited in line for fuel a several times while others did similar... at times the people were sitting inside the restaurant eating their lunch while their vehicle blocked the whole fuel island and management had them go out and move from the island. Often times they appear to be upset when they approach their vehicles. They must have eaten some bad food.

americandream1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Because he wants one.

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
Road Runners wrote:
I find that Travel Centers of America have higher prices for their fuel. I avoid them whenever possible.

They held me hostage when they did a repair on my bus as I had the hold on my credit card the 500 per day and the manager got real nasty and said I can't leave till i pay the bill I called 911 and told them they are kidnapping me and holding me against my will. . and it got real ugly and I will run out of fuel food, i will freeze to death in the cold before i ever but from them. EVER!!!!!!!!! I hate them with all the passion I can possibly muster and couple that with a purple passion.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
I use truck stops all the time. Walk in give them a 'C' note, go out and fuel, go in get receipt and down the road I go. No big deal to me.

must be nice to fill up for 100 bucks !

personally i don't like peeling off 400+ in cash and then having to go back and pick up whats left....i consider it a security risk, even though i always pack heat.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I use truck stops all the time. Walk in give them a 'C' note, go out and fuel, go in get receipt and down the road I go. No big deal to me.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Henry wrote:
We stopped at Santa Rosa New Mexico to re-fuel diesel at TA and found that I could not use my credit card at the diesel pump because it only took fleet cards.
If you stop there you'll have to go inside, give them your card, go back fill up, go back inside get your receipt.
Won't do that again!

Henry that is pretty much the way it is at most truck stops when you fuel at the truck island.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Henry
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

they keep your card
Henry Holley
Snyder, Texas
2006 Chevy 3500, 6600 DuraMax
2004 Cardinal 33TS

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
wow, had to walk all of what 100 feet.
I have walked further for lower price per gallon.
Anyway, while we fuel we walk around. Take the pups out. Go inside and maybe see what they have. We've learned that doing that every time we fuel up is good for you.

X2 on that, but they all might be in a real hurry, I for one like to stretch my legs a bit, OK I like to look at all the chrome and radio gear inside
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension