cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

uneven tire pressure buildup while towing with airbags

Smokey_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, here's thanking you in advance for any help you might suggest for this air pressure buildup issue I'm experiencing.

I'm towing a 25' TT with my 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 and using Firestone "Coil-Rite / Work-Rite" air bags. While towing, I pressure the bags to 30lb using a compressor mounted next to the battery under the hood. The issue I'm having is that the Ram's tire pressure monitor consistently shows my right rear tire building up three lbs. more pressure than the left tire while towing.

I set my tires to their maximum 50 lbs cold pressure as stated on the sidewall before towing. The two front tires will build pressure to about 54 or 55 lbs. while the rear tires will build to about the same on the left but about 3 lbs more on the right. In this example, 55 to 57 on the left and 57 to 59 on the right depending on how hot the outside air temp. is. I try to keep the towing speed at between 60 and 65 mph.

Any ideas on what may be going on? Could it be an air bag issue? The tire pressures stay consistent right and left when the bags are not inflated (normal pressures set at 35lbs all around) and I'm not towing. The people who installed the bags for me said they have never heard of this kind of a problem related to the air bags. Any help would be appreciated.
Smokey Lew
TT - 2005 Komfort 253tqs
TV - 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Quadcab w/ 5.7 Hemi & 3.92 axel
13 REPLIES 13

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
My question is why are you worried about 2 or 3 lbs or tire pressure?

If you don't want the tire to go up in pressure just bleed all the air off and fill with nitrogen. Bleed it off again and fill with nitrogen again. This will get both tires around the same pressure going down the road.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Dave_Mck
Explorer
Explorer
Try towing without the airbags inflated and see what happens

Dave_Mck
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
The right rear will carry a bit more load and drag due to road crown.

Good point. I was at my buddy's shop the other day having the alignment done. He was showing me how the machine works as he was setting the wheels right. He didn't make it perfectly straight, he explained that they have to be slightly off due to the crown of the road. If you make it perfectly dead on straight your car will always want to go off to the right with the slope of the road,.

Smokey_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with this answer. I use an Equalizer hitch and it always seems that the right spring bar takes more effort to place up on the bracket than the left one. Not sue why but I'm definitely going to have to look into this. Thanks for your suggestion.
Smokey Lew
TT - 2005 Komfort 253tqs

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Funny, the only online reference I can find to "Komfort 253tqs" are RV.net posts from you!

At least I finally found a picture of your rig to confirm that it's a travel trailer and not a 5th wheel.

If you are using WD bars, there might be more tension on the left bar, which will in turn put more pressure on the right rear wheel (or more correctly, LESS pressure on the left rear wheel). Trailers can be heavy on one side due to their floor plan, slides, etc..

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The right rear will carry a bit more load and drag due to road crown.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Smokey_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Brilliant suggestions. I'm a worrier by nature and all this is good medicine for me. Thanks!
Smokey Lew
TT - 2005 Komfort 253tqs

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
A few possible reasons:
1) slightly more weight on that corner of truck
2) slightly more brake drag (heat)
3) slightly more percentage of torque to that wheel (heat)
4) exaust pipe on that side (heat)
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
When the pressure has stabilized and the pressures show their difference, I would get an non contact heat gun to check the tires/wheels. It's possible you're building up more heat on one side than the other. This would lead to different pressure readings.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Smokey Lew wrote:
Hi Bryan, thanks for your quick response. The setup I have for the bags is a compressor under the hood of the truck that feeds both bags form a single line. The airbag gauge shows the pressure from that single feed line. I guess you have to assume the pressure in both bags is equal. I think my next step is to pressure up the bags and get under the truck and spray some soapy wanter on the lines and see if I get any bubbles.

Got it. In your case the single air line should balance pressure in the air bags, which means both tires should be roughly equally loaded. So... I'd lean towards normal tire variation.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bedlam
Rotate the wheels and see if the difference follows the tire or is relative to that position on the vehicle.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Smokey_Lew
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bryan, thanks for your quick response. The setup I have for the bags is a compressor under the hood of the truck that feeds both bags form a single line. The airbag gauge shows the pressure from that single feed line. I guess you have to assume the pressure in both bags is equal. I think my next step is to pressure up the bags and get under the truck and spray some soapy wanter on the lines and see if I get any bubbles.
Smokey Lew
TT - 2005 Komfort 253tqs

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Have you verified air-bag pressure after towing? I slight leak in one of the airbags will cause the opposite tire to carry little more of the load. At this point however, I would not consider the difference enough to really worry about. You might just need to top off the leaky airbag (most likely a leaky fitting really) partway through a drive. A very small leak might not leak at all when the the lower pressures you run unloaded.

Another possibility is simply normal variance in the internal telling resistance of you tires, or maybe even a slight tread height variance, which happens after normal tire rotations (and even out as they wear more).
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST