Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US post new Mexican travel warnings

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Sun

Nuevo Leon the area south of El Paso is number one to avoid. The whole border area besides that is 'reconsider travel'. The country is becoming another Somalia
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
45 REPLIES 45

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I quit looking at the news years ago and I am much happier now. I just ignore all that sort of stuff.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
That's why we stopped going to Mexico years ago

That's why I don't go to California or Illinois. Dangerous country out there. There was a shooting in my hometown last evening. McAllen, Texas which is about ten miles from the border is one of the safest cities in the United States.

Depends on which part of California we're talking about. California's a big state

It was a joke. Sorry that you didn't get it. Both great states have their safe as well as dangerous areas. Painting an entire country or state with fear is too common today.

No worries, and the state of California is the biggest joke. The problem is, and I don't care if you're Republican or Democrat, is that one party has been completely wiped out, in this case the Republican party. That's not healthy for any state as there is now no debate on anything. The Democrats now have a Super-Majority in the legislature and pass whatever laws or taxes they want.

Ron3rd: You need to move to some other (Red?) state...:)

The decrease in population (of CA) would be great - really help if you take your friends, acquaintances and kin folk along. If they're not in CA, be sure to tell them to "stay put".

Thanks in advance.....and for this thread.... "Adios!"

So you're good with the 12 cent a gallon gas tax nobody voted on? An 20 cents for diesel? Vehicle registration went up too. So if they need money for something in Sacramento, you're OK if they just raise your taxes, right? You don't want a say in it?

Here it is:

On April 6, 2017, the California State Legislature passed the Road Repair and Accountability Act (RRAA) by a two-thirds margin, raising taxes on gasoline by 12ยข per gallon, taxes on diesel by 20ยข per gallon tax, and it raised annual vehicle registration fees from $25-$175.

And - in 2018.... *REPEAL* of the RRAA was *DEFEATED* by the California *VOTERS*!!..:W

Maybe too many watched the news coverage of the MN bridge collapse a couple years ago??

~

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
How many school children are murdered per year in Mexico? How many news people say on the air a school shooting would be good to take the spotlight off trump? How many people are murdered in their homes each week in Mexico?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
down home wrote:
Albequerque is notorious. Every RVer I've talked with from there ,and El Paso told numerous accounts of thefts from them an family and neighbors, break ins etc.
Any city in Southern California...

Yes, Beverly Hills is notorious for the daily drive by gang shootings.

..and the California central coast from Pismo beach all the way of to Monterey and Carmel is extremely dangerous. Avoid those stretches at all costs!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
That's why we stopped going to Mexico years ago

That's why I don't go to California or Illinois. Dangerous country out there. There was a shooting in my hometown last evening. McAllen, Texas which is about ten miles from the border is one of the safest cities in the United States.

Depends on which part of California we're talking about. California's a big state

It was a joke. Sorry that you didn't get it. Both great states have their safe as well as dangerous areas. Painting an entire country or state with fear is too common today.

No worries, and the state of California is the biggest joke. The problem is, and I don't care if you're Republican or Democrat, is that one party has been completely wiped out, in this case the Republican party. That's not healthy for any state as there is now no debate on anything. The Democrats now have a Super-Majority in the legislature and pass whatever laws or taxes they want.

Ron3rd: You need to move to some other (Red?) state...:)

The decrease in population (of CA) would be great - really help if you take your friends, acquaintances and kin folk along. If they're not in CA, be sure to tell them to "stay put".

Thanks in advance.....and for this thread.... "Adios!"

So you're good with the 12 cent a gallon gas tax nobody voted on? An 20 cents for diesel? Vehicle registration went up too. So if they need money for something in Sacramento, you're OK if they just raise your taxes, right? You don't want a say in it?

Here it is:

On April 6, 2017, the California State Legislature passed the Road Repair and Accountability Act (RRAA) by a two-thirds margin, raising taxes on gasoline by 12ยข per gallon, taxes on diesel by 20ยข per gallon tax, and it raised annual vehicle registration fees from $25-$175.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
Absolutely in Southern California, Rodeo drive can be murder on your wallet!

navegator

LOLOL
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely in Southern California, Rodeo drive can be murder on your wallet!

navegator

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Albequerque is notorious. Every RVer I've talked with from there ,and El Paso told numerous accounts of thefts from them an family and neighbors, break ins etc.
Any city in Southern California...

Yes, Beverly Hills is notorious for the daily drive by gang shootings.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Did anybody here see what happened when the police tried to arrest the son of El Chapo a few weeks ago? Tell me the last time something like that happened in the USA? I'm waiting.

Well I have to wake up the mods;
I seem to remember a while back when somebody that refused to pay his rent for ground rented from the people of the USA. "If you want to evict the cows"

Ba-da-bing!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
The last five years I worked in many high schools along the Texas border and central Texas. Talk about corruption and violence. You don't need to cross the border for that. The cartels are embedded in 20 major U.S. cities. Crime is rampant throughout most of the Americas.

We've waited too long to deal with the cartels. It's no longer just about drugs, they have diversified and have taken over many different industries and agriculture as well. Wonder why avocados are so expensive?

Our new Mexican president is a joke. The U.S. should clamp down on him. His policy for security and cartels in Mexico is, "peace and tranquility". No confrontations. Murders in Mexico have risen this year by 25%. The cartels are on to the new president and know they have free reign.

What happened in Culiacan with the son of El Chapo Guzman was a travesty. The president is responsible for that and the deaths that followed along with the tragedy of the LeBaron family in Chihuahua not to mention several ambushes of military and federal police. Disgusting.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
RVhiker wrote:
About two weeks ago, my wife and I were in Roma, Texas at the World Birding Center there, which is a nice overlook over the Rio Grande. Roma is a nice town filled with good people and good restaurants. As we were walking to the overlook, we heard a war break out - the number of shots of different types could not be counted. Literally - and I mean literally - hundreds of shots.

You have to be careful on the border.

I'm disappointed to hear that about Roma. My wife is looking forward to spending some birding time there soon. We'll still go, maybe just not stay as long as we'd like.

fwiw, I lived in south Texas for years back in the 80s and loved the people there. It was said back then that the illegals in the area (Kingsville) outnumbered the legals. But it was good people that snuck across to work their butts off. I never felt threatened at any time.
There are bad areas everywhere (and el paso has always been one imo). I've been in downtown Atlanta at 2am and didn't feel as threatened as I felt at 2pm in downtown San Francicso even tho I was armed in SF and gunless in Atlanta.

Roma is great. Good folks, good food, and a good tire repair shop (Rene's). Several hundred feet across the border is the problem.

By the way, when camped at Falcon Lake State Park we heard a very significant skirmish across the river. It was three very heavy volleys of gunfire.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
RVhiker wrote:
About two weeks ago, my wife and I were in Roma, Texas at the World Birding Center there, which is a nice overlook over the Rio Grande. Roma is a nice town filled with good people and good restaurants. As we were walking to the overlook, we heard a war break out - the number of shots of different types could not be counted. Literally - and I mean literally - hundreds of shots.

You have to be careful on the border.

I'm disappointed to hear that about Roma. My wife is looking forward to spending some birding time there soon. We'll still go, maybe just not stay as long as we'd like.

fwiw, I lived in south Texas for years back in the 80s and loved the people there. It was said back then that the illegals in the area (Kingsville) outnumbered the legals. But it was good people that snuck across to work their butts off. I never felt threatened at any time.
There are bad areas everywhere (and el paso has always been one imo). I've been in downtown Atlanta at 2am and didn't feel as threatened as I felt at 2pm in downtown San Francicso even tho I was armed in SF and gunless in Atlanta.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
All depends on where you go. A lot of the Americans who travel to Mexico fly in, take a shuttle to the resort, and stay there the entire time.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP