cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

utah activities for seniors

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Our son wants all of us to go to Utah this year. My wife and I are unable to hike any trails except short fairly level trails. Would we be able to see some of the great views, landscapes, etc without hiking in? Are there other activities for seniors like us to enjoy given our physical limitations?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
12 REPLIES 12

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
One of the most impressive (to me) arches was Mesa Arch in the canyonlands and it is a short, fairly easy hike to it from the parking area.
bumpy

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
RRTom wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Yes - you can see plenty from easy walks; and most Nat'l Parks will give you a length in miles if the walk is longer than a few hundred feet. Ed and I invariably have our dogs along, so aren't gone from our vehicle for very long (and that's fine because I have plenty of arthritis to remind me I'm not a "hiker" any more).

If you want to be off the beaten path - there are lots of places that will rent a Jeep Wrangler for offroad tours (there was even a 4X4 road through Arches Nat'l Park) but be prepared to be bounced around a lot.

Thanks. Would a GMC crew cab 4WD pickup be suitable for those areas?

Hell yes! You are good to go!

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Plenty of places rent side-by-sides. Those things go anywhere and are loads of fun. Utah is a favorite place for us to take our RZR.

THIS! Every couple years we spend a week riding our ATVs out of Richfield or Maryvale. The scenery is fantastic. The roads/trails are good, the riding is easy - at least our kind of riding, we just pokey along and enjoy the scenery. Try as hard we can we haven't been able to get ourselves lost yet.

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Yes - you can see plenty from easy walks; and most Nat'l Parks will give you a length in miles if the walk is longer than a few hundred feet. Ed and I invariably have our dogs along, so aren't gone from our vehicle for very long (and that's fine because I have plenty of arthritis to remind me I'm not a "hiker" any more).

If you want to be off the beaten path - there are lots of places that will rent a Jeep Wrangler for offroad tours (there was even a 4X4 road through Arches Nat'l Park) but be prepared to be bounced around a lot.

Thanks. Would a GMC crew cab 4WD pickup be suitable for those areas?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
What do you like to do? When are you planning to travel? Where are you planning to travel in Utah?

Chum lee

We like to see beautiful/unusual scenery, a little shopping at antiques stores and photography. We would be traveling in the summer while our two grandsons are out of school. They would be with their Dad in their travel trailer and my wife and I would be in our motor home. Our son will be towing with his 4 wheel drive pickup, and we will be towing a car. We would like to visit at least one of the National Parks in Utah. Our son and grandsons want to hike.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
What do you like to do? When are you planning to travel? Where are you planning to travel in Utah?

Chum lee

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a four wheel drive vehicle? Hundreds of miles of trails and roads. Research it. Lots of info out there.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of places rent side-by-sides. Those things go anywhere and are loads of fun. Utah is a favorite place for us to take our RZR.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
The following website on the The Grand Circle is very informative for the areas.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You might also be interested in Adventure Caravans Grand Circle tour of the Western Parks. It takes the entire month of September but you will have seen as much of the west as possible for your physical situation. If interested you might call and ask them about hiking.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can see quite a bit.
happynow

Steve and Carol