cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vacant house Insurance

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Curious how many RV travelers buy Unoccupied Home insurance when they travel for extended periods. We have not been buying it but may start. We typically travel for 30-45 days at a time and our current homeowners coverage defines the house as unoccupied after 30 days and does not cover unoccupied homes. We can buy unoccupied home insurance from another company but are currently checking to see if having a friend or relative stay in the house for a night or two resets the clock on "Unoccupied".

Just something I had not thought about before my wife mentioned her uncle being denied reimbursement for flood damage when his place was unoccupied for over 3 months several years ago. Yes we do get floods here in NM on occation ๐Ÿ™‚
Turret Class traveler
14 REPLIES 14

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
Our policy requires someone in the house every 72 hours.
A local petsitting service will also do home checks. They (actually, she) look for leaks and things and move drapes and vary lights.
David and Dayle

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver2 wrote:
... the truth is I would give most of the "stuff" we leave in the house away if I could find a taker. Some things we keep just to avoid buying it again ๐Ÿ˜‰

Get in line. I'm giving mine away first ( hope my DW doesn't see this post :b).

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Reading the fine print of the policy clarified that the theft and vandalism coverage was what had the 30 day unoccupied clause. Flood, fire, wind, etc did not fall under the unoccupied clause. Like Michelle.S stated. We are not worried about theft and vandalism, the truth is I would give most of the "stuff" we leave in the house away if I could find a taker. Some things we keep just to avoid buying it again ๐Ÿ˜‰
Turret Class traveler

Texas_Flash
Explorer
Explorer
The question is the definition of "unoccupied ". In some jurisdictions that is defined as "devoid of people and contents". Look for the definition in your policy.
Mike and Marian
2014 Dynamax Trilogy Touring
2017 Ford F-350 King Ranch DRW
4x4,

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we checked with our Agent on this issue she said if we had a Fire the company would cover us, but if it was a vandleism claim we wouldn't be covered. Their idea of occupied was living there 330 days out of the year and since we're gone from 6 to 9 months we changed our insurance to a Seasonal Residence, yes cost more, but were covered if something should happen.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Because of being gone for several months I checked with my agent and they said it was ok but wouldn't provide it in writing. I started shopping around and even places like state farm said no problem but wouldn't put it in writing.

Id have to go look at the paperwork but I believe I have citizens and they provided it in writing.

An agent not putting something in writing is a HUGE red flag IMO. Everyone needs to read the section of the policy for length of time to be unoccupied and see if it defines what unoccupied really is. If not clear, get it in writing from your agent or company.

Yes, vacant home insurance is expensive, it is an additional risk the company is taking on. But, it is less costly than getting the denial letter stating no coverage.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
A few years back when I downsized to a condo my house was left vacant and on the market. AARP the Hartford sent me a letter dropping the house policy because no one was living there. I had to get a month to month policy on a vacant house from Berkshire Hathaway (ya a Buffet company) and to me it was very expensive. However this was different than still living in the house and just being gone. Look at the snowbirds gone for 6 months I am sure they all do not have this problem.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
If it is still declared as your legal residence, I don't see how they could declare it unoccupied.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Had this conversation with our insurance gent a couple of months ago and he said if we lived there and was gone for over 30 days it would not be unoccupied because we still lived there. He said that clause was for people that moved out and the house was left empty.

That's what my agent said, too: That 'unoccupied' means left empty, moved out of or not moved into.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Since our daughters check on our NY cottage every week or so, and even spend a couple of nights there from time to time, our insurance carrier doesn't consider it unoccupied.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Had this conversation with our insurance gent a couple of months ago and he said if we lived there and was gone for over 30 days it would not be unoccupied because we still lived there. He said that clause was for people that moved out and the house was left empty. He said if we were really gone that long he would recommend having a friend check on it every few weeks but it was needed. I didn't ask for it in writing however. Since I know 2 couples that left their houses for long periods and had pipes freeze and ruin a large portion of their house, regular checks would be good. By the way both house the insurance covered repairs.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance said regular home owners insurance...vacant more than 6 mo then they would deny any claims. And how would they know?. Also said they want to shorten to 90 days but have to go through state insurance commissioner to change policy and would notify me when change occurs. That was 4 years ago. No notifications yet.
I also dont leave water on for obvious reasons.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I believe our homeowners insurance policy states it does not cover our house if not occupied for over 90 days.. A number of years ago we were taking care of my mother after my fathers death and had been out of the house approaching the 90 days. DW flew home for a week plus so we would not exceed the 90 Day limit.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Because of being gone for several months I checked with my agent and they said it was ok but wouldn't provide it in writing. I started shopping around and even places like state farm said no problem but wouldn't put it in writing.

Id have to go look at the paperwork but I believe I have citizens and they provided it in writing.