cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Violent Windstorm, no roof

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Well after a violent windstorm with gusts in the 70 to 80 mph range, most of the fiberglass roof of our rig sailed away. Estimate is 13K for a new fiberglass roof. Called Progressive and they made me jump through some hoops while knowing from our first call they would deny our claim. I can see their point of view, beside the loss of $13,000. What I can't abide is them knowing before the adjuster came out that they would deny the claim because my rig is too old and had deteriorated. Cancelling and going back to ACSC.

New roof going on is a rubber and has a twelve year product guarantee and three year workmanship. Coast RV in Agoura is doing the conversion for $7500 including all new fitting on the roof except the skylight which is just a few months old.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
22 REPLIES 22

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There have been a number of posts on here of the FG roofs like your MH coming off. They are not attached with with screws and a metal strip like a rubber roof only adhesive caulking that has to be maintained. You will be happy with your new roof.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If the roof had no rot, there were no leaks then how can they determine it wasn't maintained properly? Where in the owners manual does it say that you need to replace the roof at 11 years old. And IIRC a fiberglass roof has a longer life than 11 years.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wnjj wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Did they say why they denied it? 70-80 mph winds is equivalent of what you would see driving into a headwind!
Ide like to know the reasoning for the denial.

What if the windstorm decided not to blow at the front of the trailer? I don't know how well RV roofs take 70 mph winds from the side or rear, especially when aged a bit.

Generally, direction shouldn't impact a roof in good repair.

"Aged a bit" translates in insurance talk to you didn't keep up on required maintenance. I would recommend against using such talk when the adjuster comes by as it's likely to go into his report as lack of maintenance.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Did they say why they denied it? 70-80 mph winds is equivalent of what you would see driving into a headwind!

Perhaps a 19 yr old vehicle that is worth less than the cost to replace? Value of a 2002 32V in an insurance companies eyes @ $11,000 ?

This would determine if they considered it a total loss or paid to repair it. It would also impact the amount they pay. If it's only worth $11k, they would call it a total loss and write a check for $11k.

It would NOT impact if they deny the claim or not.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Perhaps a 19 yr old vehicle that is worth less than the cost to replace? Value of a 2002 32V in an insurance companies eyes @ $11,000 ?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:

What if the windstorm decided not to blow at the front of the trailer? I don't know how well RV roofs take 70 mph winds from the side or rear, especially when aged a bit.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If yโ€™all read instead of inserting your words into the OPs mouth, youโ€™d have read that he understands why his claim was denied and appears to agree with that decision.
Which generally means the RV was in ill repair.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
The insurance company is the bad guy because they denied a claim for a 19 yr old roof that blew off in winds amounting to what it would get on the highway?

When we lost our 2016 Redwood back in 2019, we had Progressive..

They did awesome by us, had a check in hand within 3 weeks of the incident ..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Well after a violent windstorm with gusts in the 70 to 80 mph range, most of the fiberglass roof of our rig sailed away. Estimate is 13K for a new fiberglass roof. Called Progressive and they made me jump through some hoops while knowing from our first call they would deny our claim. I can see their point of view, beside the loss of $13,000. What I can't abide is them knowing before the adjuster came out that they would deny the claim because my rig is too old and had deteriorated. Cancelling and going back to ACSC.

New roof going on is a rubber and has a twelve year product guarantee and three year workmanship. Coast RV in Agoura is doing the conversion for $7500 including all new fitting on the roof except the skylight which is just a few months old.

All claims have to be investigated. They certainly could not tell you over the phone your claim was denied or approved

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, rather than a rubber roof have you considered https://rv-armor.com/rv-armor/ ?

I believe it is less expensive and generally considered a superior product to rubber roof systems.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dedmiston
Where did that happen? Were there 80mph winds in Eagle Rock?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Progressive has always paid in my case. But insurance companies fear the state insurance commissioner