cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater Anode?

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled the water heater drain plug on our new to us this fall camper. We have an Attwood water heater and to my surprise out came an anode on the drain plug. It has some rust on it and looks like it is in bad shape (calcified) so I was considering replacing it. Looking online everything I see says Attwood's don't need an anode? Should I replace with a regular plastic plug?
9 REPLIES 9

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lol, great shirt Jerry! Hope you have one for display, right behind the counter.

BTW: One of my favorite sayings "If I was ever wrong, I'd be the first one to admit it".

Jerry

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We sell them at the store. Engineers buy them because they're smarter than some random guy in an RV parts store. We take their money and smile. I stopped arguing with them. It's a waste of breath. Samo-samo when someone asks for nitrogen in their tires.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Biscuit/Mob, that is what I gathered online. Going to replace with a standard plug.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Per the Atwood manual:

ATWOOD CLAD TANK
The Atwood water heater tank is constructed of a core of high strength aluminum. The interior of the tank consists of a 15% thickness of type 7072 aluminum (pure aluminum and zinc) that is fused to the core during the rolling process.
This material protects the tank from the affects of heavy metals and salts found in waters throughout the country. It is anodic to these heavy metals and acts much like an anode in a steel glass lined tank except it will last much longer.
There is also no need to replace an anode on a yearly basis.
Flushing the tank on a regular basis has been found to be helpful in insuring the best performance of your water hater and adding to the useful life of the tank. For flushing instructions see your owners manual or contact Atwood for a copy of our recommended procedures.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atwood uses an ALUMINUM tank that has a zinc cladding.
NO Anode Rod

Atwood does NOT recommend one, Atwood does NOT have a part number for one, Atwood does NOT use one....period.

Aftermarket can provide one even though it is NOT an Atwood part......you can sell folks just about anything whether it useful, an improvement OR even could be damaging
Just slap 'FOR RV' on it and SOLD.

Atwood uses a NYLON plug for several resaons
NYLON will NOT damage the Aluminum Threads in drain hole
NYLON is Pressure/Temperature Rated for use in their Water Heater
NYLON can act as a 'freeze plug' should water be left in WH Tank in winter temps.

Buy the OEM NYLON drain plug...come TWO to a pack
One to use and one as a spare for when you bugger up the threads on first one.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
The guy in this video does not know what he is talking about. Atwood does not recommend an anode rod if you double check with the manufacturer. They recommend a plastic plug instead of a steel or brass plug as the aluminum is not compatible with them. You only use an anode rod in a Suburban water heater with a steel tank that is glass lined.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Might want to watch this Atwood anode rod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YohecTpKKCw

Mine looks way worse than that. So they do need one? Is there an OEM replacement?

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to watch this Atwood anode rod:
clicky
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
My older Attwood heater does not have an anode rod because of the material it is made of, but not sure about newer ones