cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater & display

JWP127
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a Venture Sporttrek Touring 336VRK. During PDI, the water heater worked. While camping for the first time in it, about halfway thru the weekend, when I tried to run the water heater on propane, my display panel fault light came on. It runs fine on electric. Thoughts?

Also, my display showed all tanks were empty during the entire trip. The battery level indicator worked though.
4 REPLIES 4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had the same issue with my Atwood Water heater

When it was new I'd often have to re-set the Gas side 3-6 times before it would work if starting cold.. If I heated it with electric.. then it would work great. but it had to be warm to start with.

Finally it refused to work at all on Gas

Then I put in a new control board and it's been fine since.

NOTE there are other things that can cause this. Dirty burner oriface. Improper Spark gap (That's a common one) and so on.

About the only thing I do NOT want to read is "Air in the gas lines" That is **NOT** your problem.... Though ti's a knee jerk reaction for many (The water heater is a major guzzler of propane. it tries 3 times before the fault light comes on. the first try would purge air from the lines if there was any needing purging)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Remove control board and pull off the stick on foam spacer, look for what appears to be a burnt spot on underside of PCB in the center. If it has a burnt spot and on top side says Fenwal Made in China that is the culprit. Replace with a Dinosaur board..

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes there is no gas in the system also and you may need to turn it off and on 3 or 4 times before it ignites.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
OEM is a 6 gal gas/electric Suburban water heater

Red Light coming on .....
That is Fault light which is triggered when Gas Flame doesn't light OR Prove it lit

Spark Electrode provides the high voltage spark for ignition AND also is used a pathway for 'flame proving' signal,
No signal....circuit bd shuts down DC to gas valve so raw fuel doesn't accumulate

Check that Spark Electrode is 'firing' ---should hear a STRONG CLICK, CLICK, CLICK
Check that tip of Spark Electrode is ENGULFED in flame when it lights off
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31