cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Heater - Pilot Will Not Stay On

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6 gallon atwood water heater ( model G6A-7 ) and the pilot light will not say lit. If I hold the control valve in the pilot position it does light but after 30 second to a minute or more it will not stay lit.

So I replaced the pilot assembly with this from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QN2TIIhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QN2TII

However, it does the same thing.. pilot will light but will not stay lit.
11 REPLIES 11

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
upmm019 wrote:
I was able to fire it and it seemed to work just fine... pilot held, etc.

Good deal!

Tilting gas valve is OK..whatever it takes to 'align' burner tube so gas flows 'straight' down the center of tube.
That allows for the air to be pulled in and mixed with the gas for correct air/fuel ratio

When burner tubes are not aligned the gas bounces off side walls of tube, air doesn't get mixed and flame sputters

Air/fuel ratio is critical.....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to fire it and it seemed to work just fine... pilot held, etc.

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the new control valve but it has to be tilted a bit for the gas tube to attach ... I hope that is not an issue.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
My flame was too small, I had cleaned the tube and replaced the thermocouple, but a breeze would repeatedly blow the flame out. Been good for this season now.
Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated.
Brian

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cobra21 wrote:
Check the piolet in the dark and make sure it's large enough to stay lit. I had this problem with mine. The gas valve on mine has an adjustment screw for piolet flame size. Can't really see the piolet well in the day time.
Brian

Be careful 'adjusting' that pilot flame.
Just needs to heat tip of thermocoupe

TOO HIGH and that can generate too much heat which can cause the ECO Probe (High temp t-stat) that sticks into tank from back of gas control to TRIP (190*F). When it trips---one time device----then NEW Gas Control Valve!

Och!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
My son just had the same issue with his WH. He bought a new circuit board and that fixed it. Not sure on the brand.

No circuit board on OPs Pilot Flame water heater

And replacing the circuit board is NOT the cure-all fix.

It's much better to actually TRACE the issue and then replace the FAULTY part vs throwing part at it.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My son just had the same issue with his WH. He bought a new circuit board and that fixed it. Not sure on the brand.

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
The old and new pilot was very strong.... I ordered a gas control valve now off amazon and will try that.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Check the piolet in the dark and make sure it's large enough to stay lit. I had this problem with mine. The gas valve on mine has an adjustment screw for piolet flame size. Can't really see the piolet well in the day time.
Brian

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben1 wrote:
Since the thermocouple/pilot light assembly is new and if the flame is making good contact with the thermocouple that leaves only one thing and that is the gas valve has gone bad.

YEP.......
Pilot flame heating thermocouple...thermocouple connection tight....millivolt signal from thermocouple energizes magnet which allows gas to flow thru MAIN

You can do an easy test on thermocouple.
Disconnect it from gas control. Attach multimeter clip to end/other clip to tubing and then heat thermocouple with lighter. 12 millivots..good.

Weak magnet.....won't stay open
ECO Probe (high temp t-stat) blown...one shot device. Too high water temp or too HIGH of pilot flame (190*F) no millivolt signal completed circuit

Either case.........new gas control

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Since the thermocouple/pilot light assembly is new and if the flame is making good contact with the thermocouple that leaves only one thing and that is the gas valve has gone bad.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind