Explorer
Explorer
Who makes the Best water pressure regulator
13 REPLIES 13

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
When traveling life is much simpler the fewer the connections that need to be made.

LIke you, I almost always use water from my tank. The exception is when I have one of my teenage granddaughters camping with me. THEN, I hook up to shore water with my Watts 263 and open the gray water drain into the dump station. I am not going to try to teach a teenage girl about water rationing.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one of each. The pressure reducer, found at a campsite, & a bought adjustable.

Don't use either one. I am one of those, apparently rare, campers who use water from their tanks exclusively.

When traveling life is much simpler the fewer the connections that need to be made.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
Watts

YEP, bought mine from them. Bought their white water hoses, will never need to buy another.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
bob213 wrote:
I needed a new gauge for my Watts and was shocked at the price of them today. Watts is the best but be prepared to pay $$$! I think I might be tempted to try the Valterra adjustable for under $60 on Amazon.

You can buy a gauge at any hardware store.

That's exactly what I did but you may be surprised at the lack of availability at any hardware store. Back mounted are harder to find but can be had online. It was in my search for the gauge that I saw the prices for a new one. A cheap gauge replacement was the answer for me and a lesson to store my regulator right side up so the oil doesn't drain out of it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
I needed a new gauge for my Watts and was shocked at the price of them today. Watts is the best but be prepared to pay $$$! I think I might be tempted to try the Valterra adjustable for under $60 on Amazon.

You can buy a gauge at any hardware store.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Over 70,000 miles of travel using those โ€œjunkโ€ fixed regulators and never had a problem. Maybe Iโ€™m just lucky.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Rob, thanks for the post. That set up looks a lot cleaner/slick than the stuff I got cobbeled together on my watts. :C

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I have worn out 2 watts 263A units over the past 10 years of full time use. The brass at the point where the unit actually limits the pressure just eroded over time. You couldn't see it, but it quit limiting pressure. A rebuild kit didn't solve the problem since the main unit was worn not the rebuild kit parts. Two in 10 years? I can live with that and bought another one. Problem solved.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I have tried several over the years and agree the small inline ones commonly sold to RVers are junk. A step up is the $60 Valterra mentioned above, but Iโ€™ve had two of them and found them ridiculously fragile. I now have a Watts that is adjustable and has no gauge but is built like a tank. I got it at the orange home improvement store where it was sold for home use.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Watts and Zurin both make fine regulators.. nearly identical. They also make ****. as does a number of other companies.

HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERNCE
You know those 3/4" diamater cylinder jobs they sell in RV stores. Male hose fittinn on one end, Female on the other? JUNK
Oh they will limit the pressure but they also restrict the flow.

SUR-FLO (A Watts corp if I'm not mistaken) makes a decent one. In fact if your RV has one built in.. Guess who's Now the construction suggests it can be repuilt when it ages.

Watts and Zurin both make nearly identical devices designed to be used In line win a house or apartment. Thest units have a bell shaped upper housing. the bell's "Mounting bolt" is the pressure adjustment bolt.

They are made of Brass and are fully rebuildable. The Bell is about 3" in diamater at the base.

Test results
Junk models (Also a wore out Watts) Static 50 psi. flowing 10 psi

Brand new Zurin.. Static 50 psi.. FULL FLOW 50 psi

Park pressure varied from 60 PSI to 120 druing those tests.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have this one and it works great.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Watts
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle