cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water warning at state park

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, here is why I will always carry my own water, even when going to full hookup sites. We are at Potholes State Park in WA State.

Now, I know the warning is only for 'drinking', so even if you don't drink the water, it's still now in your system.

For me, that's just not worth it to have to deal with draining, sanitizing, ect when all I do I bring my own good water souce.

We are only long weekend campers, so 50 gallons of water is all I need, even with not conserving at all.. Sure, no 10 minute shower every day kind of thing, but I don't go "camping" to take showers! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, I've found bad water and signs saying the water was shut off due to plumbing issues before...

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.
23 REPLIES 23

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
What I find concerning having just looked at the reservation site is there is no warning of this situation posted, while they do have other warnings. Seems like a reasonable expectation that the State should notify visitors in advance.

* Due to abnormally high strength waste negatively impacting the septic system, we ask that campers not use any type of chemical additive in their holding tanks. Chemical additive use could result in a failure and closure of the park sewage systems.

* Only one vehicle is included in your campsite fee. An extra vehicle, unless towed, costs $10 per night. Please check site data for on-site and off-site parking as not all campsites can accommodate an extra vehicle.

* Due to COVID-19 cross-border travel restrictions, Washington State Parks encourages all Out of Country travelers to hold off on reserving at this time. Once cross-border travel restrictions are lifted, we would be more than happy to welcome you back to Washington State Parks.

The nitrate warning may be a short term issue that they expect to have resolved soon. The items you listed seem to be more long term...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
My wife always takes bottled water for drinking and cooking.

Y-Guy
What I find concerning having just looked at the reservation site is there is no warning of this situation posted, while they do have other warnings. Seems like a reasonable expectation that the State should notify visitors in advance.

* Due to abnormally high strength waste negatively impacting the septic system, we ask that campers not use any type of chemical additive in their holding tanks. Chemical additive use could result in a failure and closure of the park sewage systems.

* Only one vehicle is included in your campsite fee. An extra vehicle, unless towed, costs $10 per night. Please check site data for on-site and off-site parking as not all campsites can accommodate an extra vehicle.

* Due to COVID-19 cross-border travel restrictions, Washington State Parks encourages all Out of Country travelers to hold off on reserving at this time. Once cross-border travel restrictions are lifted, we would be more than happy to welcome you back to Washington State Parks.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We could debate this issue forever. The full info sheet is posted on the bulletin board and elsewhere. Read the full notice. There must be a reason for the notice other than simply nitrates in the water. The notice, however, drives home the reason we have our rigs anyway. If there's an "issue" at the campground we simply turn the key and mosey on down the road....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Nitrates are produced in our own bodies and are in our saliva. Nitric oxide is beneficial to our bodies. Nitrosamines are the bad ones.
80-90% or some such of nitrates come from vegetables in our diet.
In farm country like the Midwest with shallow water table and very porous soils fertilizers deliver a lot of nitrates into the water supplies and along with phosphates cause a lot of bad teeth bones etc/
Nitrates are in just about all of our water. Too much cured meat such as three meals a day definately isn't a good idea.
Vegetables cooked at high heat can produce nitrosomines too.
Cured meats won't kill us in moderation. The salt is more of the problem with havign to drink more water and increaded blood pressure.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, that's us! Only thing I'm using the camp water for is to flush out the black tank and rinse out the sewer hose when I dump!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Fertilizer and pig poop used and reused thru irrigation, YUM.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Well......glad I'm not pregnant nor 9 months old!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Explorer II
Explorer II
^^ Yep

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
In that area the source of the nitrates in the water is run of from the farms.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Ummmmm, do you know what nitrates are?

Do you read food labels? Processed meats in particular are very high in nitrates which are legal as preservatives which suppress harmful bacteria primarily in bacon, ham, salami and some cheeses. You eat cold meats? How about grilled meat? Because for example, nitrites in processed meats (hot dogs, sausages, burger patties) are in close proximity to proteins (specifically amino acids) so when cooked at high temperatures this allows them to more easily form nitrosamines, which are proven cancer-causing compounds.

Donโ€™t eat much meat, ok, but theyโ€™re pretty common in veggies too. Things like spinach, lettuce, beets, celery and carrots are high in nitrates too.

nitrates are naturally occuring in some foods and added to others such as processed meats as a preservative. there is no health warning about limiting foods with naturally occuring nitrates. eating too many foods with added nitrates are suspected as a cause of colon cancer. the amount of nitrates found in processed food is regulated to what is believed to be safe levels.

nitrates in water can be a different matter. low level of nitrates can be found in surface water but harmful levels of nitrates can also be found. from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/disease/nitrate.html

Nitrate can occur naturally in surface and groundwater at a level that does not generally cause health problems. High levels of nitrate in well water often result from improper well construction, well location, overuse of chemical fertilizers, or improper disposal of human and animal waste. Sources of nitrate that can enter your well include fertilizers, septic systems, animal feedlots, industrial waste, and food processing waste. Wells may be more vulnerable to such contamination after flooding, particularly if the wells are shallow, have been dug or bored, or have been submerged by floodwater for long periods of time.

the water in the park must be at an unsafe level hence the posted warning. i'd pay attention.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of a very dangerous chemical frequently encountered at campgrounds

Dangers of DHMO
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
A carbon filter should take out a lot of the nitrates. Good enough for showering , grooming etc. I always bring bottled water and 5 gallons or so on board. I never really thought of filling up my tank at home. When i had my pop up it would make it sway if the tank was filled. I guess i dont have to worry about that now, but old habbits.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Here's more information relative to high nitrates in water that may set your minds at ease unless you have an infant traveling with you:

Nitrates In Drinking Water
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate