cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDH needed?

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer is a small Casita, 3500# with 430# measured tongue weight. Towed well with F150 and simple friction anti-sway bar. I've switched to a new Nissan Frontier which is obviously less capable but still well within spec for the trailer. I've done some driveway measurement. With a full fresh water tank and two full propane bottles, the rear of the truck sags 1" and the front rises 1/4". I then added about 300# of mulch in the front of the bed. That resulted in 1 1/2" drop in the rear and 1" rise for the front. I don't know how another 300# of driver and passenger will change this. I took a 20 mile test drive on the interstate and all seemed OK. I'm concerned about the rise in the front but would like to avoid the weight and aggravation of a WDH. I've still got a couple of inches before the bump stops contact the springs so I don't know if Sumos would help. Anyway, thanks for reading this far and any advice is appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boomerweps wrote:

snip...
WDH isn’t needed. The front rising is a result of the rear drop.
Snip...

That is the main reason for using a WDH. The rear axle acts like a teeter totter when you place a weight (tongue of trailer) 4 feet or so behind it and the WDH restores the front axle to its original configuration. In the process, it also raises the rear end - just like a teeter totter.:)

Now I am not saying he needs to use one in this case but it would do the job and probably would make for a safer and more pleasant tow.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags would do the trick, SumoSprings would also as a one and done, nothing further to mess with. RAS is an option.
WDH isn’t needed. The front rising is a result of the rear drop.

I added SumoSprings to my F150 for towing without a WDH, IF I can watch the tongue weight keeping it near or under the 500# factory limit. The combo tows my 4K# TT pretty level but I still encountered a tiny wagging feeling on the interstate at 65mph. I have a decent WDH and will use it for interstate travel but with the SumoSprings, sag is minimal & I don’t need theWDH ON local or country roads driving 55mph. “Cue Sammy Hagar”
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I'm not too bothered by the drop in the rear, it's more the 1" rise at the front wheel well. You are right Grit Dog, the mulch did seem to bring the front up disproportionately. I'll have to check my measurements. Didn't have to worry about any of this with the F150 but the Frontier seems like it will be a nice truck. Probably would be smart to plan a fully loaded trip of a few hours, just to see.

blt2ski
"IF" you don't like how soft and far the suspension falls. I've personally found it better to put a lower add a leaf in the main spring pack.
I did this most recently on my GM 1500 using a Zone brand product from American Truck. $50 shipped to my door. Made my rear 3900 lb suspension, 2 mileage main pack with lower overload, a 3-1 setup. I went from a 3-4" drop with my equipment trailer, to a 1-2" drop. Truck stays level vs being tail down.
This leaf also may to will raise your rear end. My case about 1.5". A bit more than I wanted by it self. I also replaced the front struts with a leveling set that raise the front 2".
At the end of the day, my truck still has stock rear high look. But front and rear are stiffer, I can carry more wieght without the truck sagging as much. I am about 2-2.5" overall taller with the spring lifts and an inch diam taller wider tires.
A WD would be cheaper and easier if you don't like the rear sag you currently have. As noted by at least one other, you really don't need to do anything to safely tow your trailer.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No a wdh is not needed for that little trailer. New frontier is plenty of truck all around.
Rear suspension sounds a tad soft is all.

PS, adding weight ahead of the rear axle won’t take more weight off the front. Your measurement seems wrong. But it drives fine according to you so not an issue. 400lb tongue weight doesn’t take a meaningful amount of weight off the front axle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
The manual only says WDH required if trailer over 5000#. I guess this will be trial and error. I may try some Sumo type bump stops first. I really want to avoid having to regularly lift an 80# hitch, though I knew it might be a possibility when I chose the small truck.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Have you read the manual? I'd start there. I personally din't think it sounds like you need one but it may tow nicer with it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You may need air bags or other minor adjustment to level the truck but I don’t believe a WDH is necessary at 3500 pounds.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad