cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH or not?

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't pulled my camper yet with my new to me 2016 2500 Megacab. My travel trailer is 28' and 5500#. I have always used a WDH w/sway (cheap one they threw in when I got the TT). Like most, it is a 2" bar. The Ram has a class V hitch, 2-1/2" receiver. I have the sleeve, to use the WDH, but wondering if I would be better off, just using a class V and forgo the WDH. I have all I need either way, so really just wondering which is best, thinking there could be some movement in the WDH using the sleeve.
Thanks
Joe
20 REPLIES 20

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
The first TT went past a truck and I bet the wind from the truck cased that TT to sway. Several others were to large for the TV. Most people will not react fast enough to stop the sway or don't know how to stop the sway. Not all of the trailers appeared to be loaded tail heavy.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

blt2ski
Lynnmor wrote:
miltvill wrote:

Some of the trailers in this video are tail heavy.

Some are obviously tail heavy, I would bet that they all are.

A WDH or anti sway bars ultimately do not work for tail heavy rigs. As you have to ultimately move wieght from rear to front, or add to front to have a trailer that will pull straight.
Bars in such a case, is putting a band aid on a major artery cut when you need a tourniquet!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
miltvill wrote:

Some are obviously tail heavy, I would bet that they all are.

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
So you don't need sway control.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
packpe89 wrote:
Haven't pulled my camper yet with my new to me 2016 2500 Megacab. My travel trailer is 28' and 5500#. I have always used a WDH w/sway (cheap one they threw in when I got the TT). Like most, it is a 2" bar. The Ram has a class V hitch, 2-1/2" receiver. I have the sleeve, to use the WDH, but wondering if I would be better off, just using a class V and forgo the WDH. I have all I need either way, so really just wondering which is best, thinking there could be some movement in the WDH using the sleeve.
Thanks
Joe

This sure does sound like you are citing a dry weight for the trailer. I would expect a 28 ft trailer to have a gross weight of 7K to 8K.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
packpe89 wrote:
I have always used a WDH w/sway (cheap one they threw in when I got the TT).

Cheap as in an old fashioned friction sway bar, right?

You can use that without the WDH bars. Better than nothing.

If you have an integrated WDH/sway control like a Reese Dual Cam or another of that type, you need the entire hitch installed and adjusted somewhat properly to get any benefit of sway control.

Friction sway bars, however, can be used independently.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

blt2ski
What I noticed pulling my TT no bars, vs basics WD vs fuel cam with a 3500 CC GM LB. Approx 650-750 HW and 6000-6500 lb on axles depending on if a weekend, long week, ski weekend...
ALL setups stable, no uncontrolled fishtail sway etc.
When I did notice a difference, it was cross winds. Trailer leaned and moved side to side more without. Less with WD, less yet with dual cam. If that's not an issue to you, great. If the wind was strong enough, I would suspect the trailer would go over sideways with out, vs whole kit and caboodle with the dual cam attached.
I do admit, u preferred bars attached. Reality I was fine. I barely pulled but 60-80 lbs off the FA attached.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Rather than polling the crowd, why not just take it for a drive and see how it handles. My money is on it handling just fine. But some folks' idea of fine is different than others.
By the numbers, you can hook and go easily and be nowhere near exceeding ANY rating on the truck. That should be a telltale sign.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
I had a older equilizer on mine with the 1500. I used it for the new 2500. I did not need the weight distribution at all. Im about 5200 lbs loaded. But i still use the hitch for sway control. I set it up so it has just a smidge of pressure on the bars. If you have one allready, might as well use it. Do i need it? I have no clue , but i owned it allready and more controll if i need it is better then less.

Exactly..........
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I had a older equilizer on mine with the 1500. I used it for the new 2500. I did not need the weight distribution at all. Im about 5200 lbs loaded. But i still use the hitch for sway control. I set it up so it has just a smidge of pressure on the bars. If you have one allready, might as well use it. Do i need it? I have no clue , but i owned it allready and more controll if i need it is better then less.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I tow our Jayco 28RLS with our 2020 F250 on a 2.5โ€ Curt solid ball mount, no sway control or WD. It wallers around a little bit with with passing trucks in a crosswind but nothing scary. With the 2010 F250, I use a Reese HP trunnion style WD hitch without SC for no other reason than to satisfy the rating of the hitch receiver. Tongue weight is 980~ lbs. Squats the rear of both trucks 2-1/4โ€. Front rises 3/8โ€.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45456-Commercial-Trailer-Receiver/dp/B00IIOBT9Q
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'd give it a shot and see how it does just on the ball. Your front axle will have plenty of weight on it with the diesel, more than a gas version of the truck with a WDH.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not use the sleeve except in a pinch. Get the 2.5" shank for the WDH or a 2.5" shank with just a ball or pintle hook as needed.
Generally a TT above 5,000 pounds is recommended to have weight distribution, your call. Do check the actual hitch rating as it may be limited if no weight distribution.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my 3500 with a 5th wheel in mind, but pulled my 7,000 lb TT with it for a few months. Weight distribution was not needed, so I pulled with out it for a bit. I had never had issues with sway, but the trailer did move around a bit on some roads. I also noticed that on those same roads with frost heaves in places, there was a bit of porpoising, although nothing bad.

I set up my Equalizer with 4 point sway control, and the difference was definitely noticeable.

The step up from half ton to 3500 was a huge step up re towing experience, and the WDH with sway control was another step up. For the few minutes it took to hook up, The payback was worth it for me. I used it every time the trailer hit the road.

Sway can sneak up on you, and it's good to be proactive in my mind. You never need it until you do.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)