cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Well, so much for waiting to winterize....

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I was trying to hold off until after my Thanksgiving trip but the weatherman says 20's for this weekend up here. First time so I had to rig a blow connection up and it took about an 1.5 hours but I am sure before the trip home I should be down to 30 minutes or so.

A pal told me it was a piece of cake and it was
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)
35 REPLIES 35

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
Winterized a couple of weeks ago. Now is the time to start thinking about trips for next year.

So far have a local camping/fishing trip in CT planned for April. July were returning to Knobels in PA. Columbus day weekend we have a W/E site booked at assateague state park, MD

In the works for next year, 1000 island NP in Ontario & Montreal.

Still working on other ideas!

Mike

Mike, You will LOVE Thousand Islands area! We did it twice a few years ago. Visit Hardt Castle and Singer Castle by boat. Gananoque is a beautiful little town. Also did Montreal and Ottawa last year! Both outstanding visits! Stayed at a Regional Park near Ottawa, huge private sites and not expensive. Stayed at a KOA near Montreal. Typical KOA but out in the country about 12 miles from the city and very clean! Plus the exchange rate will pay you back a lot! ENJOY!

Thanks for the tips, were looking forward to the trip!

We plan on taking our kayaks on this trip. I'm have a tough time researching where or how popular kayaking is at 1000 island NP. Do you have any info or observations?

Thanks,
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:

That's the GREAT thing about winter camping, you've got the entire park to yourself! It's just wonderful!

Yes it is, even at 12 degrees but only took about 45 minutes to go from 12 to 27 when the sun popped over the mountain this morning. I am already thinking of getting another looooonnng weekend in before these PA parks close mid December.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
Thats extending the season nicely, how about some pics of the exterior showing the rig and park your in.

Daryll

Sure......

Not very crowded.

Hey Ralph, that's the kind of fall camping I love but have missed the past two yrs. Seems the real fall weather has bypassed us up here in New England... peddle to the metal with my A/C on both my sept & October trips the past few yrs.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Do you have water pipes in that camper? Where is your fresh tank? Are you dry camping? At 26 degrees you will need to take precautions if you have pipes below unless you have a closed bottom and run your furnace to heat the tanks. The electric heaters won't protect below.

Pumped it full of pink the other day and dumped about 3 gallons down the black tank just to use in the middle of the night if needed. Basically dry camping. My underbelly is not enclosed but other than the suction lines from my fresh tanks, and low point drains, all water lines are in heated areas. I still did not want to chance it so I drained my fresh out.

This park has an awesome heated shower house that's fairly new, and out of 35 sites only myself and one other camper.....sort of peaceful and nice. Have about a face cord of wood too.

Sounds like you are well prepared! Have a great time!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
Thats extending the season nicely, how about some pics of the exterior showing the rig and park your in.

Daryll

Sure......

That's the GREAT thing about winter camping, you've got the entire park to yourself! It's just wonderful!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
FLY 4 FUN wrote:

Daryll

Sure......

Not very crowded.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
temccarthy1 wrote:
Do you have water pipes in that camper? Where is your fresh tank? Are you dry camping? At 26 degrees you will need to take precautions if you have pipes below unless you have a closed bottom and run your furnace to heat the tanks. The electric heaters won't protect below.

Pumped it full of pink the other day and dumped about 3 gallons down the black tank just to use in the middle of the night if needed. Basically dry camping. My underbelly is not enclosed but other than the suction lines from my fresh tanks, and low point drains, all water lines are in heated areas. I still did not want to chance it so I drained my fresh out.

This park has an awesome heated shower house that's fairly new, and out of 35 sites only myself and one other camper.....sort of peaceful and nice. Have about a face cord of wood too.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomman58 wrote:
is that a pop up Ralph? Been there done that in the winter. The ends where you sleep brings back memorys of thinking I was in a freezer, LOL One time we had a full foot of snow on the top... ah those were the days.

Nope.....Rockwood Hybrid.

But I have had/done the popup thing also, and in a lot worse weather than I am in now.
Last night the dog and I got too hot and had to turn off the heated mattress. Back in the popup days we had a L.P. buddy heater, an electric heater, the propane furnace, and electric mattress pads and blankets. These hybrids are a different animal. Sort of glad now I winterized here at the campground the other day, I was considering chancing it until Sunday but is supposed to go down to 12 tonight. I suspect I'll be cranking up the furnace at some point tonight, as these electric heaters seem to be holding about 45 degrees over outside.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
is that a pop up Ralph? Been there done that in the winter. The ends where you sleep brings back memorys of thinking I was in a freezer, LOL One time we had a full foot of snow on the top... ah those were the days.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
9:30 AM here in the mountains of PA.

Holding the 68 in the trailer with this.

And this,

And a little extra foam board and reflectix thrown around the bunk tent.

Have yet to need to tap into the propane furnace yet.

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely glad I got it done when I did. I think I will try the antifreeze method alone before we head back up from NC after Thanksgiving though. We use bottled water to drink so the flush shouldn't be that bad and it seems easier than blowing out the lines
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

BurmaShave
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona *** 85 degrees and holding *** we're having our 3 days of 'Fall' then comes 'Almost Tolerable' followed by Jeez 100 Already ????