cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What should the PSI be in the trailer?

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I have a trailer which has Sailun G rated tires. The maximum PSI of air is listed as 110 PSI. I was carrying 90 PSI but recently was told that the maximum PSI, that is 110 PSI is the amount of air I need to carry.
Which is the amount I should have in the tires?
70 REPLIES 70

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Helmsey wrote:
I have 7000lb axles so I use the inflation chart to find the PSI needed for 3500/lbs. If I'm feeling extra cautious I'll throw another 5PSI on top of what the chart says.
We are weekend campers so the weight of our camper rarely changes. If I were on the road full time I'd probably watch my weights more closely.

That is EXACTLY what you are supposed to do. I went from GY "E" to GY "G" and GY Tech said to do exactly that when going up in load range.

As mentioned some triple axle RV's will come with much more carrying capacity than needed so it's wise to use the inflation charts.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
joelc wrote:
Use the PSI rating printed on the tire. Mine is 110psi

Do you have a reason for doing so? Serious question.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
Same tires here. I always run 100psi. No problems in 4 years. My air compressor at the house is only 125psi so it is a challenge for me to get more than 100 psi in the tires.

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I have 7000lb axles so I use the inflation chart to find the PSI needed for 3500/lbs. If I'm feeling extra cautious I'll throw another 5PSI on top of what the chart says.
We are weekend campers so the weight of our camper rarely changes. If I were on the road full time I'd probably watch my weights more closely.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use the PSI rating printed on the tire. Mine is 110psi

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
If your trailer isn't at max weight then why carry max air pressure in the tires, especially a G tire? Air pressure is only for the load being carried. The heavier the load the more psi goes in the tires. At max weight of 19,000 pounds for my trailer, the six tires only carry around 2600 pounds each. I don't need tires rated at over 4,000 pounds. As it is I carry 65-70 psi in my tires because that is what the Michelin chart calls for. 80 psi is not necessary and 110 psi is overkill and can cause damage to the trailer from the rock hard tires. My current tires are coming up on 5 years old, they've been coast-to-coast several times with no issues.

Are guys putting G rated tires on their trucks? My dually has E rated tires and I run 65 psi in the rears, 70 up front when towing per the door sticker.
I considered putting "E" rated LT tires on my triple axle toyhauler to replace the Carlisle ST tires that came on it after two of them destroyed themselves at less than 2 years old. I was excoriated by posters who kept insisting you couldn't install tires that were lower rated than what came installed from the factory. I was risking the fate of civilization as we know it.

It came with tires rated to about 3,800 lbs. and I was going to put on tires rated to about 3,050 lbs. HORRORS!! However I had weighed each tire and knew I had a max of 2,500 lbs. on 2 tires and the rest were at 2,000 lbs. It simply wasn't an issue IMO, but facts hold little sway against strong opinions. I ended up with the "G" rated Sailuns as they were a little cheaper than "E" rated LT tires that I considered possible choices.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
My opinion, may be wrong may be somewhat right. With the equaflex suspension on most trailers it is possible, under certain conditions, to transfer the weight from one tire/axle to the other. It may be only for a moment but it can happen. Think about what happens when you go over a speed bump. You can actually lift one wheel off the ground. (And you can actually buy ramps designed to do this for tire changes on the road.) At that moment the normal weight that two tires carries is transferred to a single wheel. Because of this, I feel better at max inflation pressure.

UH, you don't think they consider this?

I "FEEL" it's best to air to PROPER psi based on load for better stopping, ride AND tire life. I have literally a million miles on truck and RV tires with EXCELLENT tread wear and mileage using inflation/weight charts.

Don't believe me ask GY Tech, add 5psi to actual load when going to a higher load range.

Oh, I'm sorry. I should have asked you for my opinion since apparently only yours matters. Notice the first line of my post "My opinion, may be wrong may be somewhat right." And I didn't say I "FEEL" it's best to do it this way. I said "I feel better at max inflation pressure."

And people wonder why we lose posters on these sites. I now bow down to the expert that is the only one that matters.....
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If your trailer isn't at max weight then why carry max air pressure in the tires, especially a G tire? Air pressure is only for the load being carried. The heavier the load the more psi goes in the tires. At max weight of 19,000 pounds for my trailer, the six tires only carry around 2600 pounds each. I don't need tires rated at over 4,000 pounds. As it is I carry 65-70 psi in my tires because that is what the Michelin chart calls for. 80 psi is not necessary and 110 psi is overkill and can cause damage to the trailer from the rock hard tires. My current tires are coming up on 5 years old, they've been coast-to-coast several times with no issues.

Are guys putting G rated tires on their trucks? My dually has E rated tires and I run 65 psi in the rears, 70 up front when towing per the door sticker.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
firemedic1992 wrote:
I have G rated Sailun tires and I have weighed my trailer fully loaded then use the manufacturers specs to figure out what tire pressure I need. Iโ€™ve never run 110 psi in the tires. Usually 90 fully loaded. Tires are wearing perfectly!

In a single set up at 110 psi = 4,080 lbs per tire
4 tires = 16,320 lbs (on axles)

"BLASPHEMY I SAY"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Others will tell you to weigh each axle every day"

Please SHOW us where someone has said EVERY day to weigh.

Pretty sure it was a bit tongue in cheek in response to some of the inane โ€œproceduresโ€ that we read about on here.

I understand but maybe he was serious??? YA never know on here. :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
schlep1967 wrote:
My opinion, may be wrong may be somewhat right. With the equaflex suspension on most trailers it is possible, under certain conditions, to transfer the weight from one tire/axle to the other. It may be only for a moment but it can happen. Think about what happens when you go over a speed bump. You can actually lift one wheel off the ground. (And you can actually buy ramps designed to do this for tire changes on the road.) At that moment the normal weight that two tires carries is transferred to a single wheel. Because of this, I feel better at max inflation pressure.

UH, you don't think they consider this?

I "FEEL" it's best to air to PROPER psi based on load for better stopping, ride AND tire life. I have literally a million miles on truck and RV tires with EXCELLENT tread wear and mileage using inflation/weight charts.

Don't believe me ask GY Tech, add 5psi to actual load when going to a higher load range.

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer
I have G rated Sailun tires and I have weighed my trailer fully loaded then use the manufacturers specs to figure out what tire pressure I need. Iโ€™ve never run 110 psi in the tires. Usually 90 fully loaded. Tires are wearing perfectly!

In a single set up at 110 psi = 4,080 lbs per tire
4 tires = 16,320 lbs (on axles)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Others will tell you to weigh each axle every day"

Please SHOW us where someone has said EVERY day to weigh.

Pretty sure it was a bit tongue in cheek in response to some of the inane โ€œproceduresโ€ that we read about on here.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MarkTwain wrote:
rbp111 wrote:
I have a trailer which has Sailun G rated tires. The maximum PSI of air is listed as 110 PSI. I was carrying 90 PSI but recently was told that the maximum PSI, that is 110 PSI is the amount of air I need to carry.
Which is the amount I should have in the tires?

Look on the side of the tire. The max PSI number is on the side. I run the max psi when I am towing and then run 65 non towing.

You let air out of your trailer tires when itโ€™s parked?
Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
You can't really go wrong running the maximum. But, if you weigh the trailer and divide by the number of trailer tires it will give you the approximate weight each tire is carrying. Check the tire manufacturer's load/inflation chart and see about where you need to be for that load. Maybe add a few psi for safety.
I wouldn't worry about checking the trailer "every day" as someone suggested. Just a single weigh is a great idea for any trailer so you know about what your vehicle is working with.

After I have aired up tires to psi maximum, I use the "truckers club/bat" each day while traveling to check that the tires have not lost any significant amount of air. Any truck stop will have the club. I also put my hand of the wheel hub each day when traveling. If the hub is not to hot to touch on my hand, this indicates that the bearings are ok.