cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to do with burning camper

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/video-rv-catches-fire-25126.shtml
Not sure how to do link. The story tells of right front tire catching fire on motorhome. Reportedly, the driver gets out with fire extinguisher and tries to put it out. He then goes back into the coach to get a second fire extinguisher, all the while his friend and her daughter are inside (apparently in the bedroom). The driver can not extinguish fire and is outside as good Samaritan pulls up. I am wondering why the two in the rear were not out, since the driver had time to get 2 extinguishers and if the passengers knew of the escape window. Good reason to explain to all occupants of the rv on how escape widows work.
26 REPLIES 26

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Once a tire catches on fire, no consumer sized fire extinguisher is going to put it out.....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Our Class A (a gasser) had two emergency exits - the driver's door and a window in the aft bedroom. In the event of an engine-room fire, I think we could have used both the driver's door and the main entry door to escape. At night, we'd have had to rely on the bedroom window, with a longish drop to the ground.

Luckily, in 4 years, it was never an issue.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I must admit there is a reason I'm not a EMT or Fire Department member. In a emergency I panic and run around like a chicken with my head chopped off. I wish I didn't but, I can't change that part of me.

The good news is I've learned that is part of who I am so I run away and let someone else deal with the problem. I've learned that is the best thing I can do for me, and everyone else. Get away and let the professionals deal with it.

I get nervous and start shaking in the smallest of situations.

bikendan wrote:
i've seen plenty of people get brain freeze or are unable to think, during emergency situations.

some people can process what's going on clearly and react appropriately.
others get tunnel vision and lose sight of the bigger picture.
and others become frozen with fear/panic and often become victims.

Evolution favors variation.

In some situations (attack by some animals, for example) the person who freezes is the one who survives.

In other situations (volcano) the one who runs without thinking survives.

In yet other situations, the one who hides survives (tornado). Or the one who gets angry and yells (other animals).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I will add is- those rope ladders are challenging. We had them at work and when it came to using it- oh my goodness- we needed to practice using it and feeling secure on it, because it was scarey.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Mac the fire guy may know his fire extinguishers. Does he know what caused the fire. Secondly, I don't think the driver was thinking about what fire extinguisher to use. If the people in the mh got out on their own and it burned to the ground,no story.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
This is a very serious issue. In an emergency common sense can be lost due to anxiety, fear, etc. The best weapon is preparing in advance. Families should talk about what they would do in case of fire or other emergency in their RV. Beginning of every season would be a good time. The absolute number one priority is getting everyone out, preferably through the door they entered. It is quicker and easier and more familiar than emergency exits. Once everyone is out an extinguishment attempt can be made while one member of party calls for help and alerts occupants of any neighboring RV's. Just like in your home, no one should go back in once they're out.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I must admit there is a reason I'm not a EMT or Fire Department member. In a emergency I panic and run around like a chicken with my head chopped off. I wish I didn't but, I can't change that part of me.

The good news is I've learned that is part of who I am so I run away and let someone else deal with the problem. I've learned that is the best thing I can do for me, and everyone else. Get away and let the professionals deal with it.

I get nervous and start shaking in the smallest of situations.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
At least two threads already including one with mis-information... But good story

Good reason to have a TPMS too,, though in some cases it might not be enough.

I carry 4 fire bottles here... The small one, a much bigger on and a pair of wet ones.. one by my bed, one by the kitchen and door.

Mac The Fire Guy knows his fire extinguishers.. Many people I can educate about fire extinguishers.. HE Teaches ME!!
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
tegu69 wrote:
I am wondering why the two in the rear were not out, since the driver had time to get 2 extinguishers and if the passengers knew of the escape window.

The same reason the starlet in all those Hollywood horror movies stands there frozen in terror and just screams as the psycho comes at her instead of running away/shooting him/kicking him in the tender bits.

Common sense isn't too common and very few people actually stop and think, most of them just stop, period.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
there are people out there who think once they buy something it doesn't need a DVD instruction video to know what to do. I for one am the kind of guy who needs to know every thing about the item I buy, whether it is a can opener or an airplane.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV fire..........extinguisher used for one thing and one thing only

EVERYONE GET OUT!

Then when everyone is out and safe.........hold hands and RUN!

Having fought oil rig fires, fires on-board NAVY ship, power plant fires (fuel and electric) I will NOT mess with fighting an RV fire----------PERIOD!

OUT & RUN.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone should practice getting out of their RV through the emergency exit at least once. Multiple times would be better. You need to know how to get out of the thing when the lights won't work, the interior is filling full of smoke and it's dark out.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Who cares about the fire. Put a shirt on the next time you're going to be on the news. :W
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going out through the emergency exits should be practiced. All passengers should be at least briefed on the procedure.
The height is scary. I've told my wife to go feet first, chest down, and hold yourself up with your hands before you drop.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat