cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where did all the old posts go?

Spindeepster
Explorer
Explorer
I was in conversation some time ago, and wanted to follow-up with a years worth of personal experience. How long do posts hang out here until someone deletes them?

"I didn't plan on getting old, it just happened, and it will happen to you too, if you're lucky".
---Andy Rooney

5 REPLIES 5

dedmiston
I just looked through that closed thread and have a few thoughts:

Capri Racer is an engineer in the tire industry. He's been around here longer than most members and has a lot of credibility. I believe what he says over some of the folks who pushed back against his opinion.

Also, the thread doesn't quite look like it did back in the day because a lot of the posts were deleted. I can see them and don't want to go through that again.

I think your questions are answered though. I'm going to close this thread so it doesn't turn into the same discussion as the old one.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
Spindeepster wrote:
Well, I started a thread in General RVing, and there was another thread started in the 5th Wheel forum. Both threads were about Trailer Legs, a way to raise your RV tires off the ground. Both threads can't be found.

I remember that thread (or at least one of them). The one I remember went kind of sideways, but it wasn't bad enough to get deleted (I checked).

Short answer: That topic was nutty enough that we probably don't want to revisit it. There was lots of drama, if I'm remembering correctly.

Longer answer: If it's the thread I'm thinking of, it would have been from sometime in spring or summer of 2022, which makes it really tough to find. There are two things working against you: First, the list of active topics only goes back a year. If you click on your own profile to see your posts, you'll see that the list doesn't go back more than a year. Secondly, our forum software is old and brittle, and one of the things that's the most broken of all is the search. The search has a blind spot where it won't find any results in about a ten-year window, and this post would have fallen within that time.

The good news though is that Google isn't broken. You can find things via Google that you can't find from our own built in search.

If you start a google search with the word "site" plus a colon plus the name of a website, then it will just show the results for that site. So searching "site:rv.net" plus whatever you're looking for might give you what you're looking for.

(NOTE: A colon followed by the letter R creates an emoji, so where you see :R, just substitute ": R" without a space between them.)

I just searched for site:rv.net spindeepster "trailer legs" and found one of the threads.

Trailer Legs

Unfortunately the thread is closed. Any thread older than one year is supposed to close automatically. That feature is also broken, but maybe a Mod closed it.

If I remember this topic correctly, there was a lot of drama swirling around it and I don't recommend revisiting it. Some things are better left as they sit. Hopefully this answers your question where the old posts went though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Spindeepster
Explorer
Explorer
Xx

"I didn't plan on getting old, it just happened, and it will happen to you too, if you're lucky".
---Andy Rooney

Also depends on how long ago the post was.
I know there was a big burp in the system quite a few years ago now and I think a few years of posts vanished without a trace.

However, if you can remember the exact thread title or some particular keywords, you can do a web search for a phrase or title and find your thread that way.

I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to find a few years ago, but using the search function here came up blank. I did a search as outlined above and found several threads. Different format than here but they were there, word for word.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

dedmiston
Nobody deletes them, or at least not unless something goes haywire and a Mod has to nuke a post or an entire thread.

Thatโ€™s the good news. The bad news is that itโ€™s not always easy to find the old threads.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230